Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1059 replies to this topic

#921 of 1060 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted October 18 2013 - 10:04 AM

I've been doing some second-season listening today, mostly music from Amok Time and The Doomsday Machine.  I just finished "Vulcan Biology/Pon Farr" (very dissonant) and "Resignation/Lazarus Returned/Pig's Eye" (from Amok Time) (Star Trek: The Original Series Soundtrack Collection, season two, disc one).  It continues to amaze me which images (very often from multiple episodes of TOS) are conjured up whenever one hears some of the segments from this wonderful collection.

Edited by Ockeghem, October 18 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#922 of 1060 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,555 posts

Posted October 18 2013 - 11:58 AM

Those two are great scores Scott! They are some of my favorite tracks!

I've just finished watching a third season marathon as you know. Those early third season episodes have some amazing scores and they have their own personality apart from the first and second seasons.

And maybe this is obvious to everyone. I listen to the actual episodes themselves as files in my car, then I played some of the TOS Star Trek Soundtrack sets and its amazing how much better the fidelity is on those. With all the sound mixing and goings on, the audio quality of the episodes themselves went down.
  • Ockeghem likes this

#923 of 1060 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,058 posts

Posted October 20 2013 - 07:20 AM

I've been going back and forth listening to: The Search for Spock, Wrath of Khan, The Motion Picture (3 disc set) and Into Darkness.

I still marvel at how wonderful it is to have that 3 disc set of The Motion Picture soundtrack. Great stuff.

• Ockeghem likes this

#924 of 1060 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted October 20 2013 - 08:56 AM

Speaking of those films, I'll be watching The Wrath Of Khan today. :)

Edited by Ockeghem, October 20 2013 - 08:57 AM.

• Osato likes this

#925 of 1060 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,334 posts

Posted November 30 2013 - 08:01 PM

Someone from another message board has undertaken THE project...creating complete episode scores from all the various cues. Upon my request, he has begun detailing the project with cue sheets and the first one is ready. Take a look...

https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing

#926 of 1060 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted November 30 2013 - 08:09 PM

Lee,

Thanks for sharing.  I believe Carabimero wanted to do this, if memory serves.  I will be curious to see how all of the edits -- good and bad -- will be handled (assuming that the person doing it really wants every score for each episode to be identical to that which we have now when we watch and listen to them).

#927 of 1060 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,555 posts

Posted December 01 2013 - 01:33 AM

Thanks Lee! I actually started trying to do one cue sheet for City on the Edge of Forever because I thought it might be the easier ones using tracked and new scored bits. I undertook this shortly after the discs came out and it's been tough! I got as far as the point after they first beam down and identified every track used, including the timing. It's a lot of work! There are a lot of tracks used or parts of tracks! So it takes time to identify the bits used. I can put that into an Excel spreadsheet and share it if I finish it, but my efforts may have been for naught now. :)

I'll have a look at your link Lee.

#928 of 1060 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,058 posts

Posted December 01 2013 - 06:03 AM

I've been listening to Star Trek TMP, Khan and Search for Spock lately. They are such fine scores!!

Any news on a Nemesis re-issue?

How much missing music was left off of the original 2009 Trek score and Into Darkness?

#929 of 1060 OFFLINE   Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,257 posts

Posted December 09 2013 - 03:05 PM

The expanded Nemesis is up for sale now from Varese Sarabande.

http://www.varesesar...cln--The/Detail

• Osato likes this

#930 of 1060 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,843 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted December 09 2013 - 03:07 PM

I just saw this on a friend's FB page.  This and Best of Both Worlds will be my first CD purchases in a long time...

#931 of 1060 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,555 posts

Posted December 09 2013 - 03:27 PM

This will be a nice addition to the Star Trek score collections by Jerry Goldsmith.

Neil, I recall an earlier version of this album had a hybrid release with an SACD version that I missed out on. Looks like this is not an SACD hybrid here?

Regardless, this should be a fun release and bookends with The Motion Picture.
  • Osato likes this

#932 of 1060 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,843 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted December 09 2013 - 08:10 PM

I got a nice early Christmas present from a good friend tonight: the new Limited Edition Superman Returns CD from LaLaLand AND the 3-disc TMP Limited Edition.  There's no way I get through either of them tonight (it may take me a good week to listen to TMP from start to finish).

This is the same friend who got me the TNG Collection Volume 1 two years ago for Christmas.  Someone knows me very, very well. 

• Neil S. Bulk likes this

#933 of 1060 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,779 posts

Posted December 10 2013 - 08:21 AM

That TMP release is just wonderful - you are going to have a great time listening to it all.

I am spinning the Superman Returns expanded release this morning (it arrived last night along with Bear McCreary's Defiance score). Ottman's score is good stuff even though his reverence for William's work takes over from his own voice at times.

I got a nice early Christmas present from a good friend tonight: the new Limited Edition Superman Returns CD from LaLaLand AND the 3-disc TMP Limited Edition.  There's no way I get through either of them tonight (it may take me a good week to listen to TMP from start to finish).

This is the same friend who got me the TNG Collection Volume 1 two years ago for Christmas.  Someone knows me very, very well. 

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#934 of 1060 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,779 posts

Posted December 10 2013 - 08:23 AM

I ordered that early yesterday morning, along with the expanded The Abyss (Silvestri) and Vibes (Horner) which has been out of print for 22 years - and is was one of the gaps in my large collection of James Horner scores.  

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#935 of 1060 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,843 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted December 10 2013 - 08:30 AM

I started playing Superman Returns before going to bed last night and I was super excited to hear the WB fanfare is actually a part of the score.  Great little touch and it brought a smile to my face. 

• Neil Middlemiss likes this

#936 of 1060 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,058 posts

Posted December 12 2013 - 07:23 PM

Pre-ordered! Thank you!!!

#937 of 1060 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,058 posts

Posted December 12 2013 - 07:24 PM

That TMP release is just wonderful - you are going to have a great time listening to it all.

I am spinning the Superman Returns expanded release this morning (it arrived last night along with Bear McCreary's Defiance score). Ottman's score is good stuff even though his reverence for William's work takes over from his own voice at times.

Agreed. I listen to the TMP score quite a bit. I still can't believe I own it at times. A 3 cd set of TMP!! So cool. 

The only hole I have in my Trek film soundtrack collection is the LE of Star Trek 2009, which is OOP. 

#938 of 1060 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,555 posts

Posted December 12 2013 - 11:23 PM

I've been in a TMP mood the past few days since the Dec 7 anniversary. My favorite tracks in the set, aside from the entire score to the film, is the early version of The Enterprise. I keep thinking of Jerry Goldsmith talking about how Robert Wise didn't like that version and could not quite put his finger on why, and then saying how it's so bombastic and that it lacked a theme. Amazingly, if he had already written the title track, then that theme became so strong through out the score! I still find that early version of The Enterprise and the track that follows of the Enterprise launch, so cool to listen to. It's almost there, and yet has some neat parts to it.
  • Osato likes this

#939 of 1060 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,058 posts

Posted December 13 2013 - 06:50 PM

I've been in a TMP mood the past few days since the Dec 7 anniversary. My favorite tracks in the set, aside from the entire score to the film, is the early version of The Enterprise. I keep thinking of Jerry Goldsmith talking about how Robert Wise didn't like that version and could not quite put his finger on why, and then saying how it's so bombastic and that it lacked a theme. Amazingly, if he had already written the title track, then that theme became so strong through out the score! I still find that early version of The Enterprise and the track that follows of the Enterprise launch, so cool to listen to. It's almost there, and yet has some neat parts to it.

Agreed. Great stuff and I'm glad they included the early score work on the TMP set!!!

#940 of 1060 OFFLINE   Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux

Supporting Actor

• 716 posts

Posted December 22 2013 - 04:17 PM

I just watched the TNG season 5 Blu- ray interview with composers Ron Jones, Dennis McCarthy and Jay Chattaway. This was very illuminating, to say the least. I always wondered why TNG's score was so generally bland, and now it's clear that the show's producers were musical morons. Imagine telling a composer on the spot to change it up and tone it down... It was written that way! You'd have to be Mozart to improvise a totally reimagined score on-demand. The producers sounded very against having emotional cues or even themes. Totally baffling. And here I thought it was the composers' fault.
  • Ockeghem likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users