Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1077 replies to this topic

#841 of 1078 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,967 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted February 06 2013 - 09:26 AM

This is on my calendar and I am going to be sitting, patiently, waiting for 1 pm to roll around next week. Okay, so not patiently.  Pins and needles...

#842 of 1078 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,264 posts

Posted April 03 2013 - 07:16 PM

I am really enjoying the new expanded Star Trek VI and Star Trek First Contact scores. 

Is there any further news on Insurrection and Nemesis being expanded? 

I'm also looking forward to the Into Darkness score in May. 

http://trekmovie.com...land-next-week/

#843 of 1078 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted April 04 2013 - 08:01 AM

Lee and Nelson,

I watched This Side Of Paradise a few nights ago, and realized that "2nd Ruth" is heard in its complete version in that episode during the closing dialogue with Leila and Spock.  I assume that this is the same version included in season one, disc 4, track 34 of The Star Trek Soundtrack Collection.  I don't know why I hadn't noticed this before, but I humbly beg forgiveness for my display of fallibility, and do hope that the cause was more than sufficient.

#844 of 1078 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,444 posts

Posted April 04 2013 - 08:14 AM

I knew it was played over the end, but hadn't noticed it was an uncut version as opposed to the uses earlier in the episode.

#845 of 1078 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,685 posts

Posted April 04 2013 - 11:19 AM

The scene was a gut wrenching one Scott, perhaps you were too into the story. I'll have to give that a listen.

#846 of 1078 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Supporting Actor

• 542 posts

Posted April 05 2013 - 07:50 AM

Lee and Nelson,

I watched This Side Of Paradise a few nights ago, and realized that "2nd Ruth" is heard in its complete version in that episode during the closing dialogue with Leila and Spock.  I assume that this is the same version included in season one, disc 4, track 34 of The Star Trek Soundtrack Collection.  I don't know why I hadn't noticed this before, but I humbly beg forgiveness for my display of fallibility, and do hope that the cause was more than sufficient.

I know this was addressed to Lee and Nelson, but may I just say:

Your impeccable musicality as well as your encyclopaedic knowledge of both music theory and Star Trek lore surely compensate for this one instance of wretched fallibility.  :rolleyes:

Seriously, you are one of my heroes!

Edited by bryan4999, April 05 2013 - 07:52 AM.

#847 of 1078 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted April 05 2013 - 08:45 AM

Bryan,Thank you for the kind words.  And might I add that the Star Trek Soundtrack Collection is truly amazing! :)

Edited by Ockeghem, April 05 2013 - 08:46 AM.

#848 of 1078 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,444 posts

Posted April 05 2013 - 10:02 PM

I strongly second Bryan's sentiment!

#849 of 1078 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,685 posts

Posted April 06 2013 - 01:03 AM

I certainly could never hope to understand a fraction of Scott's musical knowledge!

#850 of 1078 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted April 06 2013 - 06:47 AM

I strongly second Bryan's sentiment!

Lee,I agree.  I am quite wretchedly fallible at times. ;)

#851 of 1078 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted April 06 2013 - 06:54 AM

I certainly could never hope to understand a fraction of Scott's musical knowledge!

Nelson,

Indeed.  I would appreciate such a talk.  It is an interest of mine.  ;)  Seriously, you're very kind to say that, and I hope that I explain myself clearly when I write about music. :)

#852 of 1078 OFFLINE   KPmusmag

KPmusmag

Second Unit

• 392 posts
  • LocationHenderson, NV

Posted April 06 2013 - 07:10 AM

I know this was addressed to Lee and Nelson, but may I just say:

Your impeccable musicality as well as your encyclopaedic knowledge of both music theory and Star Trek lore surely compensate for this one instance of wretched fallibility.  :rolleyes:

Seriously, you are one of my heroes!

Doggone it, Bryan said it first, but heck yeah!

In fact, I think it would be a worthwhile project for Scott to write a companion piece to the TOS soundtrack CD set with an essay on each track. Now that is a book I would buy! There is nothing like that in the vast array of Star Trek books, you should think it over...

#853 of 1078 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted April 06 2013 - 07:44 AM

Doggone it, Bryan said it first, but heck yeah!

In fact, I think it would be a worthwhile project for Scott to write a companion piece to the TOS soundtrack CD set with an essay on each track. Now that is a book I would buy! There is nothing like that in the vast array of Star Trek books, you should think it over...

KPmusmag,

Thank you.  Interestingly, I have thought about that over the years.  Not specifically about the Star Trek Soundtrack Collection (because it wasn't out when I first thought of this), but of TOS music in general.  But there are two things at play.  I'm currently working on a book on fifteenth-century music (I have a publishing contract for that one in waiting) as well as one other work that is a possibility (I have a literary agent for this book), although I am not yet sure about finishing that one.  So my plate is full at the moment.

On a related note, I and two others on the HTF Board have had some preliminary discussions about possibly writing a less-esoteric Star Trek-related work, sections of which could include salient discussions of music.  The more we thought that through, the more we concluded that such a work would have to be broadened in scope so as not to be too narrow for the general public.  The discussions centered around what this expanded scope could/should include.Thank you again for your thoughts -- much appreciated. :) 

#854 of 1078 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,264 posts

Posted April 06 2013 - 07:57 AM

Any news on Nemesis and Insurrection re issue scores? Thanks!

#855 of 1078 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,264 posts

Posted April 06 2013 - 07:58 AM

Star Trek Into Darkness score is listed out on 5/14/13.

http://www.varesesar...Darkness/Detail

#856 of 1078 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted May 10 2013 - 04:58 AM

This might interest fans of the music of TNG.  The first 100 copies purchased from Buysoundtrax.com will be autographed by 
Ron Jones.

New Expanded edition of STAR TREK-TNG: "The Best of Both Worlds" autographed by Composer Ron Jones.

http://secure.campai...cn-7v3rfp1&_v=2

Edited by Ockeghem, May 10 2013 - 04:58 AM.

#857 of 1078 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,264 posts

Posted May 21 2013 - 02:29 PM

There is an expanded Best of Both Worlds soundtrack coming from GNP.

http://trekcore.com/...oundtrack-news/

Still would like to hear some news on Insurrection and Nemesis re issues.

Into Darkness soundtrack arrived in the post today.

#858 of 1078 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,325 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted May 30 2013 - 12:17 PM

Of interest: http://soundworkscol...k-into-darkness

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#859 of 1078 OFFLINE   Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,937 posts

Posted May 30 2013 - 12:38 PM

Of interest: http://soundworkscol...k-into-darkness

Wonderful!
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#860 of 1078 OFFLINE   Osato

Osato

Screenwriter

• 2,264 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 05:21 AM

Star Trek Insurrection soundtrack reissue in August 2013 by GNP!!!!

http://store.gnpcres...m/new/index.php

http://store.gnpcres...products_id=231

NOW AVAILABLE FOR PRE-ORDER!
STAR TREK: INSURRECTION
Expanded Collector's Edition
Posted Image

GNP Crescendo Records is proud to announce another volume in its continuing series of expanded Star TrekTM releases. Star Trek: Insurrection was the third of four movies to feature the characters of the 1987–1994 television series Star Trek: The Next Generation, and the fourth Star Trek feature scored by Jerry Goldsmith. Goldsmith had created a template for Trek films with his score for the first picture in the franchise, Robert Wise’s Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979). His subsequent scores for Star Trek V: The Final Frontier and Star Trek: First Contact (the latter co-composed with his son Joel) built on that foundation while expanding the musical horizons of the Star Trek universe.
Goldsmith retained many of the time-honored themes and effects of his previous Trek scores in Insurrection, fostering a sense of familiarity while at the same time giving the film a new identity. Because of the lovely romantic subplot, he wrote a score using, in his own words, “a much more melodic, romantic approach … almost operatic,” balancing the lyricism with several exciting militaristic action cues. This equilibrium, along with Goldsmith’s restraint in reusing his prior themes and his thoughtful approach to the film’s villains, makes Insurrection one of the most cohesive of the Star Trek movie scores.
GNP Crescendo’s new Expanded Collector’s Edition of Goldsmith’s complete score includes a half hour more music than the original 1998 CD, plus several alternates—for a total running time of over 79 minutes. The 16-page booklet, copiously illustrated with film stills, includes authoritative notes by Jeff Bond (author of The Music of Star Trek: Profiles in Style) and Lukas Kendall.A track-by-track analysis of the score and film by John Takis will be available online at gnpcrescendo.com/insurrection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users