Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Official Star Trek Music Discussion Thread

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1062 replies to this topic

#21 of 1063 OFFLINE   George_W_K

George_W_K

Screenwriter

• 1,472 posts

Posted February 11 2008 - 07:08 PM

But once it got into the main part, my first thought was, and I'm totally serious about this, but my main thought was "Galaxy Quest". I guess that's in line with what you said about being a theme for an 80s sci-fi movie.

Get out of my head! Posted Image I was thinking the same thing when I listened to it. I couldn't believe it was mentioned in the very next post.

#22 of 1063 OFFLINE   troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted February 11 2008 - 07:29 PM

DS9's opening theme is the best. There's alot of good music throughout the series. I really like some of the fast moving pieces when they have space battles. When the dominion captures DS9, some of the music there is the best I've heard in that series. As far as films, First Contact. Something about that score gets to me emotionally. A sure sign of great music.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#23 of 1063 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted February 11 2008 - 07:58 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image.

There were several versions of the Deep Space Nine theme, and I've got them all on a compilation CD I made:

-Seasons 1 to 3 version (slower, "lonely" feeling) The End credit long version is quite heavy on the church-like organs.

-Season 1 album or "single" version (this one is performed by McCarthy and a small group of musicians, and includes synthesizers, electric guitar solos, and a soft rock rhythm. Found on its own or the "Emissary" pilot episode soundtrack)

-Season 4 "The Way Of The Warrior" version
(This one is only heard in this one episode. It is different from the theme used for the rest of season 4 and the remaining series in that it features more prominent cymbals, and an underlying bass rhythm. Not released in any form but remains intact on the DVD version of the episode)

-Seasons 4 to 7 version (without the above mentioned cymbals and rhythm. Included on the second "Best Of" album)

-Season 4 album version (included on the "Best Of" Star Trek 30th Anniversary soundtrack album, this one features snare drums and one quiet electric guitar riff near the end)

I also recorded the various 'commercial bumpers', the shorter versions of the theme used during the broadcasts. I recorded them off of some reruns a year ago.

Yeah, I'm a big sucker for the DS9 theme as you can see.

#24 of 1063 OFFLINE   nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted February 11 2008 - 08:35 PM

It's understandable. I'm a sucker for Babylon 5 music myself (at least the stuff from Christopher Franke, which is 99% of it, not counting Crusade). I used to be more into the Star Trek music, but that died off as my interest in the shows waned. I never got rid of the CDs that I had though and still listen to them on occassion.

#25 of 1063 OFFLINE   Blimpboy

Blimpboy

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted February 11 2008 - 09:55 PM

I enjoy the Fred Steiner scores from TOS. Corbormite Maneuver is great from beginning to end. He re-recorded two albums worth of music in the 80's. It seems his music from the third season will never see the light of day. I love the Klingon music in Elaan of Troyius. After seeing what FSM did with the U.N.C.L.E. scores, I hope someone can release a complete TOS Trek music library.

#26 of 1063 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted February 12 2008 - 10:03 AM

I enjoy the Fred Steiner scores from TOS. Corbormite Maneuver is great from beginning to end. He re-recorded two albums worth of music in the 80's. It seems his music from the third season will never see the light of day. I love the Klingon music in Elaan of Troyius. After seeing what FSM did with the U.N.C.L.E. scores, I hope someone can release a complete TOS Trek music library.
I would love to see a complete TOS library release, as it's easily my favorite of any of the Trek music. They did something similar with Dark Shadows (not the entire library, but very close). I would love to see even this amount of music from the TOS library. The five discs I have (including overlap) are very, very good, and worth having if anyone is a fan of TOS music.

#27 of 1063 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,628 posts

Posted March 08 2008 - 11:35 AM

Scott-

This is a great thread. I appreciate your posting of the 3 CD set above. I have been meaning to buy those, but I always put priority to the DVD's! I'll put those in my list at Amazon.

There are also two other recordings that I have one of that I feel are terrific. These are on the Label X from 1986. Called Star Trek Symphonic Suites, arranged from the original scores. They are produced by Clyde Allen and John Lasher. They are to my ear, very faithful recreations. I am not musically trained, but I think my ear is pretty good and if it sounds different, then I can tell! You can find the info here at this site: Star Trek Soundtracks

Click on the Star Trek button. Volume One includes: Is There In Truth No Beauty? and Paradise Syndrone. Volume Two includes: Conscience of the King, Spectre of the Gun, The Enemy Within, and I, Mudd.

I have Volume 2 and enjoy The Conscience of the King the most, while the rest are really good. I wished I bought Volume 1 back in the day as I can't find it now. If you or anyone knows where I can find a CD, I'd appreciate it!

The Star Trek Soundtrack site is a great site, I would have thought it was Scott's site!

#28 of 1063 OFFLINE   BrettV

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted March 08 2008 - 04:07 PM

I've always particularly enjoyed picards flute solo in the episode where he falls in love with that officer on the enterprise.

#29 of 1063 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted March 08 2008 - 04:32 PM

Scott-

This is a great thread. I appreciate your posting of the 3 CD set above. I have been meaning to buy those, but I always put priority to the DVD's! I'll put those in my list at Amazon.

There are also two other recordings that I have one of that I feel are terrific. These are on the Label X from 1986. Called Star Trek Symphonic Suites, arranged from the original scores. They are produced by Clyde Allen and John Lasher. They are to my ear, very faithful recreations. I am not musically trained, but I think my ear is pretty good and if it sounds different, then I can tell! You can find the info here at this site: Star Trek Soundtracks

Click on the Star Trek button. Volume One includes: Is There In Truth No Beauty? and Paradise Syndrone. Volume Two includes: Conscience of the King, Spectre of the Gun, The Enemy Within, and I, Mudd.

I have Volume 2 and enjoy The Conscience of the King the most, while the rest are really good. I wished I bought Volume 1 back in the day as I can't find it now. If you or anyone knows where I can find a CD, I'd appreciate it!

The Star Trek Soundtrack site is a great site, I would have thought it was Scott's site!
Nelson Au,

Thanks. I will check out that site, and if I see any place that might be selling Volume 1, I'll let you know. I have access to the collections of approximately 35,000 libraries (that is to say, knowing which library owns what recordings). There may be some leads there tracking down where some of them were able to obtain Volume 1.

Gosh, what you've posted includes probably the most season three music we're going to see for some time. Those are definitely worth checking out. I appreciate the link. Posted Image

#30 of 1063 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted March 08 2008 - 04:45 PM

I've always particularly enjoyed picards flute solo in the episode where he falls in love with that officer on the enterprise.
BrettV, It is a gorgeous theme, isn't it? I think that's the Ressikan flute, although I'm not certain of the spelling. I believe that that instrument was first introduced in The Inner Light. The episode you mention above (Lessons) also has a performance of part of Chopin's Cello Sonata in G Minor (not a work one hears all that often), as well as some of the Brandenburg Concerto no. 3 of J. S. Bach (a work I love immensely).

#31 of 1063 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,628 posts

Posted March 08 2008 - 08:11 PM

Thanks for keeping an eye out for those Symphonic Suites Vol 1 and 2, Scott. There is a Volume 1 on Amazon, but the seller is asking $137 for it!

#32 of 1063 OFFLINE   Blimpboy

Blimpboy

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted March 08 2008 - 08:43 PM

I was very fortunate to come upon the Symphonic Suites when they were first released. I had developed a love for film music at an early age. My parents were aware of this and bought the Cage / Where No Man Has Gone Before score for me as my first CD one Christmas! They may not be the origonal cues, but in suite form they are a very enjoyable experience. The Conscience Of The King contains passages not used in the episode.

#33 of 1063 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,628 posts

Posted October 18 2008 - 09:31 AM

Scott- In case you're still monitoring this thread, I finally got copies of those Star Trek soundtracks from Crescendo, Volumes 1, 2 and 3 earlier this week. I had to buy them separately as the box set was no longer available. I also picked up the other two volumes from Varese Sarabande newly recorded music, Mirror and Charlie X, etc a few months ago. And as I said above, I have those recordings from label X that I picked up years ago and with the help of another member, I have Volume One from that collection finally! I have the vinyl LP of The Cage and Where No Man Has Gone before so I was familiar with this recording and it was fun to hear it again! One of my favorite tracks is the very last one, #35. It's never heard on the show, but it's got a cool Western sound to it. Volume Two was totally new to me. And that was really cool to hear. I have not heard such a clean recording of the Star Trek main title and it was without Shatner's narration. The cool thing about this set is that I never heard these particular scores without the dialogue and sound effects. So One or two short passages sounded different to me in Doomsday Machine. Like when McCoy and Decker first beam back to the Enterprise and they rush to the bridge. Track 6, it starts the same right after the commercial break, then there's a 3 or 4 second passage that's different, from 2 seconds in to about 5 seconds, then it sounds like what I'm used to hearing. I think it was masked by dialogue. I'll have to watch the episode again! Amok Time is fantastic! It's great to hear all that score without the dialogue and sound effects! The writing and performance is terrific to hear, like for the first time. It was such a totally new sound too. I hope Gerald Fried got recognition for the work, the use of instrumentation was so unique. Made me wonder if the psychedelic music of the time or was it jazz that had any influence. Same for Sol Kaplan for creating an equally iconic piece that is so identified with The Doomsday Machine. Makes me hope that Giacchino will be able to do a score as distinctive and unique. I'll listen to Volume 3 later today. On those Varese Sarabande two volumes, I thought they were okay. Not as good to listen to because they weren't exactly the real thing. But also because they only have short segments. But then I only listened to it once. I thought the Label X recordings were better because they recreated all the score for that whole episode and blended it together as a suite. I guess that's what makes the first 3 volumes from Crescendo so much more enjoyable, it's the whole show.

#34 of 1063 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted October 18 2008 - 10:37 AM

Here you go:

TNG Rejected Main Title Theme

Any chance of seeing this back up again? Would love to hear it.

#35 of 1063 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted October 18 2008 - 10:38 AM

double post

#36 of 1063 OFFLINE   Peter McM

Peter McM

Supporting Actor

• 925 posts

Posted October 18 2008 - 10:52 AM

I used Leonard Rosenman's end title fanfare from The Voyage Home as the recessional music for my wedding. BTW--my wife and I are celebrating ten years on Monday, Oct. 20th!
I am Car Salesman of Borg. You will be assimilated with no money down and easy terms available.

#37 of 1063 OFFLINE   Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted October 18 2008 - 11:34 AM

Any chance of seeing this back up again? Would love to hear it.

Good thing I happened to have seen this thread on the main 'entertainment and media' page otherwise I wouldn't have seen this.

No problem, I'll dig it up and send it out. Posted Image

EDIT:

Here it is, along with a few other things:

TNG Alternate and others

#38 of 1063 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted October 18 2008 - 02:15 PM

Scott- In case you're still monitoring this thread, I finally got copies of those Star Trek soundtracks from Crescendo, Volumes 1, 2 and 3 earlier this week. I had to buy them separately as the box set was no longer available.

I also picked up the other two volumes from Varese Sarabande newly recorded music, Mirror and Charlie X, etc a few months ago. And as I said above, I have those recordings from label X that I picked up years ago and with the help of another member, I have Volume One from that collection finally!

I have the vinyl LP of The Cage and Where No Man Has Gone before so I was familiar with this recording and it was fun to hear it again! One of my favorite tracks is the very last one, #35. It's never heard on the show, but it's got a cool Western sound to it.

Volume Two was totally new to me. And that was really cool to hear. I have not heard such a clean recording of the Star Trek main title and it was without Shatner's narration. The cool thing about this set is that I never heard these particular scores without the dialogue and sound effects. So One or two short passages sounded different to me in Doomsday Machine. Like when McCoy and Decker first beam back to the Enterprise and they rush to the bridge. Track 6, it starts the same right after the commercial break, then there's a 3 or 4 second passage that's different, from 2 seconds in to about 5 seconds, then it sounds like what I'm used to hearing. I think it was masked by dialogue. I'll have to watch the episode again!

Amok Time is fantastic! It's great to hear all that score without the dialogue and sound effects! The writing and performance is terrific to hear, like for the first time. It was such a totally new sound too. I hope Gerald Fried got recognition for the work, the use of instrumentation was so unique. Made me wonder if the psychedelic music of the time or was it jazz that had any influence. Same for Sol Kaplan for creating an equally iconic piece that is so identified with The Doomsday Machine.

Makes me hope that Giacchino will be able to do a score as distinctive and unique.

I'll listen to Volume 3 later today.

On those Varese Sarabande two volumes, I thought they were okay. Not as good to listen to because they weren't exactly the real thing. But also because they only have short segments. But then I only listened to it once.

I thought the Label X recordings were better because they recreated all the score for that whole episode and blended it together as a suite. I guess that's what makes the first 3 volumes from Crescendo so much more enjoyable, it's the whole show.
Nelson,

Congratulations on obtaining the discs! That's great. I think I told you that I too have the three-disc boxed set as well as the two additional discs that you mention above. Posted Image

Yeah, those three volumes from Crescendo are the cream of the crop, for sure. I don't know if I have any favorites; I tend to listen to them when I am exercising (rebounding) in our library. I never (and never will) tire of those superb recordings. Since the music is part of a stock vocabulary in many instances (I realize that there are exceptions to this), the images that one conjures up in their mind's eye when listening to the music are numerous, even when the piece of music is identical. To cite one example, the pizzicato string work that occurs in This Side Of Paradise (occurring immediately after the oft-referred to line by me of Kirk: "Gentleman, we're debating in a vacuum; let's go get some answers") is used as well in Charlie X and in Operation: Annihilate! as the landing party moves inward toward the city. I love this music so much that I bought the music to Charlie X just to have that excerpt.

I may have mentioned this before, but the sound effects overlayed with the music (or the inverse, if you will) is very eerie/ethereal/other-worldly in some instances. For example, I'm speaking specifically of the instance where the awesome chordal string work which occurs in Space Seed (it is during the completion of the beam over to the Botany Bay) is coupled with the transporter sound effect (this happens only once in the entire run of TOS); it's such an incredible juxtaposition. The colors that are achieved by that particular combination are gorgeous. (BTW, it's the same music used when Charlie disappears after the appearance of the Thasian; however, all are on the Bridge, so there is no need for the sound effect of the transporter.) This is the same excerpt of music that I have on occasion written about in relation to the VOY episode Time and Again. The harmonic succession is not identical, but it is an uncannily similar progression and appears to use similar instruments texture-wise. I hope you have a chance to give both of these excerpts a comparative listening one day.

I may also have mentioned that I picked up a rare copy of the Star Trek library of sound effects. This CD is jam-packed with just about every sound effect ever heard on the show. It was a wonderful purchase. Posted Image

BTW, speaking of Fried--

During the Scary Movie Challenge, one of the films I watched was I Bury the Living. My eldest son, who really has no musical training to speak of (except that he lives with his mother, a bassoonist, and his father, a harpsichordist Posted Image) commented on how the score to that film sounds like Star Trek. (By Star Trek, he means TOS, since he said 'Kirk'--LOL.) I thought that that observation of his was quite interesting.

Man, G. Fried sure was prolific:

Gerald Fried

#39 of 1063 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted October 18 2008 - 02:17 PM

as the recessional music for my wedding. BTW--my wife and I are celebrating ten years on Monday, Oct. 20th!
Peter,

That's great (the recessional music). Posted Image

BTW, congratulations on your anniversary. Posted Image

#40 of 1063 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,628 posts

Posted October 19 2008 - 10:37 AM

Hey Scott! Yes, your earlier comments were what pushed me over the edge to finally buy the first 3 volumes. I wished I had earlier. I had the first volume, The Cage, WNMHGB on vinyl. But I never realized that the other 2 were the real things and thus, made them so unique, and as of now, so scarce as the other scores are not available. Wished that somehow they could be made available.

You've mentioned those cues before from This side of Paradise and Space Seed. I agree, they're cool. I also wished that the Mudd's Women portion of that other disc was more faithful as I really liked how that episode's score was so magical. Especially at the end when there is a harp used and as you said, it blends into the sound effects and there's an added element to the sound!

Wow, using Star Trek music at a wedding, if I ever get lucky and find the right woman, I don't know if I could get way with that! Not that I'd want to use Trek music at a wedding...Posted Image Yes, congrates on your anniversary!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users