What's new

Does an electric razor exist that won't rip the hairs from my face? :( (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Okay, up until Christmas I was using my old electric razor, which was about 10 years old and it pulled the hairs out sometimes but overall was a comfortable shave. A few years ago my dad got me a new razor for my birthday and I found that I couldn't use it because it was too painful, it ripped the hairs out of my face, so I went back to using my old one.

Now, this Christmas some friends gave me a new electric razor, now by this time I had decided it was time to retire my old workhorse and get a new one anyway so I was very happy to get it from them thinking "hey, it's been a few years since that razor my dad got me so technology should have improved and it should work great."...Wrong.

As long as i'm just shaving off 5 o'clock shadow it works fine, but since Christmas i've let my face hair grow a little and I went to use the new razor the other morning and YOW! Pulled the hairs right out. :frowning: I use Lectric Shave lotion to soften my hairs before shaving but it didn't make a difference at all.

The model of the new razor is the Remington R-650s.

Can anyone here recommend a good electric razor that won't torture me when I use it? I can't shave with a normal razor because I tried it on a number of occasions and cut myself too much.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I can't use an electric razor because of the way my facial hair grows. My hair is naturally curly and my facial hair does not grow straight out but lays against the skin and curls out. I bought an electric a few years ago but was really discontent with the shave I got. The electric got some hair but left a lot of stubble so I switched back to a regular safety razor. As far as cutting or nicking is concerned, I don't think I've cut myself since I was 16 or so. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
I experienced the same issue. I purchased a middle of the line Braun and it ripped the hairs right out, took forever to get rid of everything and left my skin red and hurting. After that I went back to using a regular mach 3.
I did that for awhile before deciding that I probably just bought a crappy electric. So, I bought what at the time was the top of the line razor from braun and it did the same thing, irritated my skin and pulled out hair before it cut anything. I tried every sensitivity setting on it. Ive since decided to give up on electric for good and currently i use the new 4 blade razor from gilette which is excellent.

I never cut myself with a regular blade, I just wanted to go electric thinking it would be a time saver, but that was never the case.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I use a Braun razor (5000 series). Love it.

I find it works beautifully (especially when the blades are new!). But I do find when I let my beard grow for a few days and it gets just a little long...I really need to trim the hairs with the sideburn trimmer before I use the regular razor.

I don't think electric razors are supposed to work well on longer hairs.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Braun 7000 series here for about 3 years. Love it. Can use it on 3 days growth with no problems.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
Not really your question but....

The Art of Shaving Pre-Shave Oil (I like the Lavender Scent)
The Art of Shaving Shave cream (Lavender) applied with a Badger Hair brush
A nice new Mac 3 blade used with the grain of hair growth.
Repeat once against the grain of hair growth.

You will never go back if a soft smooth skin is your goal. And the girlfriend LOVES it.

Seriously. Worth an experiment if never tried. Get one of their starter kits. Costco even carries the unscented one.

www.theartofshaving.com

;)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I currently have a Norelco, and it doesn't work for me. I get stubble way too soon after the shave, no matter what I try. It replaced a Remington that worked fine until it died.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've had both Norelco and Remington over the years. After using Braun, I'll never go back to either one.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've been using Braun electric razors for many years. I have one of the 7000 series models with the self-cleaning/charging stations now and it works well.

I tried one of the Norelco rotary shavers several years ago, and it really irritated my skin.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I've been using nothing but electrics for over 20 years and in my case it's usually the cheaper, single-bladed models that work the best and don't irritate my skin. I've used just about every brand over the years but I had a Panasonic that worked great for about 5 years and I've now been using the cheapest cordless Braun model for the past two years with good results.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
i had a reminton that did the same. I have really sensitve skin though, and found I got razor burn regardeless of the style (foil or those 2 circle blade things.) I basically have to let my beard grow a couple days before shaving, otherwise it's like the texas chainsaw massacre. :S

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
OMG! I had a cheap old Remington model R-845 that basically would leave my neck red and irritated to no end.Got to the point where I couldn't take it anymore,as if I thought my skin would get used to it, ha,yea right.... Now I use a NORELCO model 8160XLCC and life is good!!! I will say that after reading what everybody else has said here,I might have to check out a Braun just to have as a backup for the car or office.Who knows,maybe I'll like the Braun better and make the NORELCO the backup.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I was thinking about this thread last night.

When I was a teenager and had my first job at a local fast-food joint, I showed up at work one day having not shaved that morning. (At that point in my life I certainly didn't need to shave every day). Maybe I had skipped two days?! :D

Anyway, the restaurant manager told me I couldn't work unless I shaved. Since I didn't live close enough to run home and shave, he directed me to his desk drawer in which he kept an old electric razor. He must have been laughing all the time I retired to the rest room to shave...because that thing was, literally, pulling each hair from my face/neck! :angry:

As he noted when I returned from the restroom to begin work, "I bet you'll never forget to shave before coming to work again."

And you know what....I haven't. :D

I don't remember who manufactured the razor...but it must have had the dullest blades ever!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I just ordered the Braun Activator 8595, cost a bit much but I have to shave and like I said I can't use a regular razor. Hopefully this one will work out fine, thanks for all the input, fellas. :emoji_thumbsup:

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Many electrics will irritate your skin for about a week or so until your face gets used to it (especially if you have it on the 'close' setting). My electric had a warning to this effect and recommends starting on the furthest setting and working your way closer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks