Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

How many know HTML?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 of 22 OFFLINE   Brad_W

Brad_W

Screenwriter

• 1,361 posts

Posted November 27 2001 - 09:13 PM

I know a lot of basic HTML and will sometimes use the view source feature to learn how to do certain things. I used to make websites completely by hand in HTML. Anyone else know/use HTML? Why do I ask? boredom.

#2 of 22 OFFLINE   nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted November 27 2001 - 09:24 PM

I know it. Taught it to myself in college. Now I get paid to know it. Posted Image

But when it comes to the web, HTML is really such a minor part of the whole ball of wax these days, especially with programs like Dreamweaver where you can throw together your layout in no time (I never use FrontPage as it provides pretty bad HTML output) so you can concentrate on the scripting for dynamic sites.

Good tools to know these days include:

SSI

PHP

PERL

some flavor of SQL server (I tend to use MySQL)

#3 of 22 OFFLINE   Brad_W

Brad_W

Screenwriter

• 1,361 posts

Posted November 27 2001 - 09:28 PM

[quote]

Now I get paid to know it

[quote]

How does one get paid to know it? Do you have a Web Designer degree or something? Since I too taught it to myself, I was always thinking about doing this. How is it working out for you?

#4 of 22 OFFLINE   Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor

• 922 posts

Posted November 27 2001 - 09:44 PM

Well, like you two, I was self-taught and got a job as a webpage designer that I worked at until late September. If you want to get paid for your web designing skills, it doesn't hurt to have a computer-related degree on the resume. However, when I got hired, I was fresh out of high school, and had no college degree to my name, so you may be like me and luck out. Location and each companies' hiring methods/requirements also play a big factor in getting paid for your HTML knowledge.
I like shiny things. | 2002 Film List | Best & Worst of 2002 | 2003 Film List | 2004 Film List

'I'm sucking up juice from the generator!' - Brian Eno, "I Fall Up"
AIM: KevinLeonard81 (because SexGod9451860 was already taken)
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

#5 of 22 OFFLINE   nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted November 27 2001 - 09:44 PM

I have a job at a website publishing company. We own lots of quality domains and put up sites at the domains. We're a small company (just 5 employees) so the dot-bomb crash didn't hurt us too much. When I was hired, there was only the boss and one other person. I was hired because I could hand-code HTML and could clean up their FrontPage messes. There's not much market for such a limited skill set like that anymore. At the time, my resume consisted of a football team fan website (which has since closed its doors, but the archive is still online) and a BA in Communications. But I do sites outside of my employment to constantly improve my skill set. I have a hobby-company for website design and hosting for individuals and small businesses (i.e. I built and host sites for my dad's CPA firm, my synagogue, a friend's parents' real estate business, etc.) Brings in a little extra cash as well. I also volunteer as the Assistant Technical Director and a Staff Writer for the premier Arena Football fan site (I'd post the URL, but I don't know if it's allowed). We're pretty popular. That site is 100% volunteer based (8 staff, 20+ writers, 3 editors) where all the staff contribute whatever skills they have. We have a couple graphics designers (including the owner who worked on Halo for the xbox) who put together the look and feel, a couple of tech guys for PHP, MySQL (including me) which is the basis for the site. Yes, hundreds of pages of content and stats stored in a database. In fact our database was design by the Tech Director who used to work at STATS, Inc., which does MLB's official stats books. I worked my way up from fan to #3 on the totem poll in less than a year, just because of my general knowledge of Linux, PHP, MySQL, HTML. All in all, good resume material. But you have to take the initiative.

#6 of 22 OFFLINE   Nathan_R

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor

• 719 posts

Posted November 28 2001 - 06:18 AM

I started playing around with html in high school. It helped get a foot in the door for IT. It started with HTML in my current job, now I do Java.

Posted Image

~~Nathan
...just lost drunken men who don't know where they are and no longer care.

GeorgiaHDTV.com

#7 of 22 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,123 posts

Posted November 28 2001 - 12:34 PM

I know rudimentary HTML which I use on my boring webpages. I was always more into content than pizazz. Posted Image
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#8 of 22 OFFLINE   Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor

• 539 posts

Posted November 28 2001 - 01:22 PM

Last April I wanted to have a go at putting up my own site. I bought the book "The Idiot's Guide To Creating a Web Page" and taught myself from there. I too often use the "View Source" option to learn how to do things. I'd like to learn PHP, SQL and Javascript. Maybe even some Flash stuff. Time is the limiting factor for me though - this is just a hobby. Do people use Notepad, or one of the other editors eg DreamWeaver?

#9 of 22 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,341 posts

Posted November 28 2001 - 01:23 PM

I know it too although there are some things I don't know in html still. I learned the hard way by doing a webpage without any clue what I was doing.
Click and enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
My Home Theatre "The Holodeck"

#10 of 22 OFFLINE   TomF

TomF

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted November 28 2001 - 04:13 PM

I got my start with a two-day seminar on Microsoft FrontPage. But despite that handicap, I was able to put it behind me and actually learn HTML. My background is communications which (combined with technical skills I picked up), has been a big help with my 2.5-year-old Web development career.

#11 of 22 OFFLINE   John Besse

John Besse

Supporting Actor

• 576 posts
  • LocationTrinity, FL

Posted November 28 2001 - 11:51 PM

I learned HTML the easy way... View source, copy and paste. I got quite good at it and write everything myself now. Well, all my eBay adds at least!
"Empire had the better ending. Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader's his father, Han gets frozen and taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. That's what life is, a series of down endings. All Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets."

#12 of 22 OFFLINE   Darren H

Darren H

Second Unit

• 449 posts

Posted November 29 2001 - 05:32 AM

Five years ago, a co-worker and I were told to build a company web page, so we bought a book, opened up Notepad, and taught ourselves HTML. I'm glad I learned it that way, but have since migrated (gratefully) to Dreamweaver, which has quickly become my favorite software application.
[ long pauses ]

#13 of 22 OFFLINE   Duane_T

Duane_T

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted November 29 2001 - 10:02 AM

I had to learn it on the job as I went - I was stuck with making changes and adding to the company's site. I started with the view source/notepad and a copy of HTML for Dummies. I've learned a lot since then but I would like to find the time to learn more.

#14 of 22 OFFLINE   Kevin P

Kevin P

Screenwriter

• 1,444 posts

Posted November 29 2001 - 12:06 PM

I know HTML, since I "be" a web developer. Posted Image

KJP

#15 of 22 OFFLINE   Danny Knapp

Danny Knapp

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted November 29 2001 - 10:41 PM

I taught myself to use HTML a while ago. It's no big deal. Very simplistic.
My DVD Collection!

http://users.ign.com/collection/danmanx2]My Game Collection!

I dislike Tom Green!

#16 of 22 OFFLINE   John Johnson

John Johnson

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted November 30 2001 - 04:15 AM

Ditto most people in here. Taught myself HTML in college to do my fraternity web site Sigma Nu at WMU (see if you can find me :b )

Haven't really used it since I graduated...

#17 of 22 OFFLINE   Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted December 02 2001 - 08:45 PM

I don't even know what HTML stands for, I know nothing about it at all.:b

#18 of 22 OFFLINE   Brad_W

Brad_W

Screenwriter

• 1,361 posts

Posted December 07 2001 - 08:25 PM

[quote]

I don't even know what HTML stands for, I know nothing about it at all.

[quote]

HTTP = Hyper Text Transfer Protocol

HTML = Hyper Text Mark-up Language

There ya go Sean, know ya know and knowing... Posted Image

#19 of 22 OFFLINE   Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted December 09 2001 - 06:58 PM

Thanks Brad, now I at least know what those letters stand for. Now if I could only make some money using themPosted Image

#20 of 22 OFFLINE   nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted December 09 2001 - 07:33 PM

[quote]

Do people use Notepad, or one of the other editors eg DreamWeaver?

[quote]

I've been using HomeSite for about 5 years as my primary HTML editor. It has excellent color-marking of tags and also for various scripting languages. Many other great special features, like when you type the beginning of a tag, it'll provide a dropdown list of attributes, and also options for the attributes. The dialog boxes for editing tags are excellent, and can be edited because they use a special markup language to create and display them that is editable directly in the program. Also, many users of HomeSite have created additional toolbars, scriptlets (like macros), buttons and extended help for HomeSite to make the program even better. Some of the older user-created functions have been incorporated into newer versions. The WYSIWYG portion of HomeSite is lacking which is why...

I use Dreamweaver to design the initial layouts. Especially table layouts because they can be problematic sometimes.

I use CSE HTML Validator to make sure my code is as clean as can be.

I use TopStyle for my style sheet editor.

CSE HTML Validator and TopStyle can be integrated into HomeSite, and HomeSite can be used as the HTML editor for Dreamweaver. All these tools together work great for web development.

As a side note, the creator/author of Topstyle is also the creator of HomeSite, which was bought by Allaire a few years back (Allaire was the makers of Cold Fusion). Recently, Allaire was bought by Macromedia, which makes Dreamweaver.

As for FrontPage, that definitely is a handicap. If your goal is clean, correct code, you'd be better off working by hand in notepad than using FrontPage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users