-

Photo

MGM Press Release: Billy Wilder Film Collection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,954 posts

Posted January 18 2008 - 08:27 AM

MGM HOME ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES

FOUR BELOVED FILMS FROM ONE OF UNITED ARTISTS’ MOST CELEBRATED DIRECTORS

BILLY WILDER FILM COLLECTION

The Apartment Special Edition, The Fortune Cookie, Kiss Me Stupid! And
Some Like It Hot Collector’s Edition Arriving In One DVD Collection March 4

Featuring Hollywood Legends Jack Lemmon, Shirley MacLaine, Walter Matthau, Kim Novak, Dean Martin, Tony Curtis and Marilyn Monroe In Some Of Their Most Memorable Roles

LOS ANGELES, CA – Journey behind the lens of Billy Wilder and experience Hollywood’s favorite Silver Screen stars in one remarkable film compilation in the BILLY WILDER FILM COLLECTION, arriving on DVD March 4 from MGM Home Entertainment. Named one of the entertainment industry’s most revered filmmakers, Wilder directed 14 different actors in OscarÒ-nominated performances and is among an elite group of five directors who have won Academy AwardsÒ for Best Picture, Best Director and Best Screenplay (Original/Adapted) for the same film. He was awarded the American National Medal of the Arts in 1993 by the National Endowment of the Arts in Washington D.C., and has had a career spanning more than 50 years with more than 60 films achieving both critical and public acclaim. The American Film Institute (AFI) has ranked four of Wilder's films including Sunset Boulevard (no. 12), Some Like It Hot (14), Double Indemnity (38), and The Apartment (93) among their top 100 American films of the twentieth century.

Part of the esteemed United Artists library, the BILLY WILDER FILM COLLECTION is being released as part of an18-month global celebration leading up to the 90th anniversary of the studio in 2009 that honors the films, directors, actors and music that represent United Artists’ rich filmmaking heritage.

Complications ensue when a lowly but ambitious accountant tries to climb the corporate ladder in The Apartment Special Edition, winner of five Academy AwardsÒ* in 1961, including Best Picture and Best Director, Billy Wilder (Some Like It Hot, Ocean’s Eleven). Starring Academy AwardÒ winners Jack Lemmon (The China Syndrome) and Shirley MacLaine (Terms of Endearment), and co-starring Golden GlobeÒ nominee Fred MacMurray (The Absent Minded Professor), The Apartment Special Edition, features audio commentary from Bruce Block, film producer, historian, UCLA Professor and AFI Member, an “Inside The Apartment” documentary and a tribute to Jack Lemmon.

In their first screen pairing Walter Matthau (The Sunshine Boys) and Jack Lemmon portray a shyster lawyer and a cameraman in The Fortune Cookie; a madcap tale of greed and recouping lost love. This 1966 Wilder film garnered three Academy AwardÒ nominations and an OscarÒ for Matthau as Best Supporting Actor. In the lighthearted comedy, Kiss Me Stupid!, Dean Martin (Ocean’s Eleven) plays a famous singer targeted by two would-be songwriters who encourage a cocktail waitress, played by Kim Novak (Vertigo), to coerce him into a song-buying mood.

When two Chicago musicians played by Academy AwardÒ winner Tony Curtis (The Defiant Ones) and Jack Lemmon, accidentally witness a gangland shooting, they quickly board a southbound train to Florida, disguised as Josephine and Daphne, the two newest and homeliest members of an all-girl jazz band. Their cover is perfect…until a lovelorn singer played by Marilyn Monroe (Gentlemen Prefer Blondes) falls for Josephine in Some Like It Hot Collector’s Edition. This revered Wilder classic received five Academy AwardÒ nominations in 1960 and won an OscarÒ for Best Costume Design. The Some Like It Hot Collector’s Edition features three documentaries, “A Nostalgic Look Back," “The Making of Some Like it Hot" and “The Legacy of Some Like It Hot," "Memories from the Sweet Sues" featurette, the original press book gallery, a “Virtual Hall of Memories” photo montage and audio commentary.

The BILLY WILDER FILM COLLECTION DVD set will be available for the suggested retail price of $39.98 U.S. / $54.98 Canada. Pre-book is February 6.

The Apartment Synopsis

Winner of five 1960 Academy Awards®, including Best Picture, The Apartment is legendary writer/director Billy Wilder at his scathing, satirical best, and one of "the finest comedies Hollywood has turned out" (Newsweek). C.C. "Bud" Baxter (Jack Lemmon) knows the way to success in business... it's through the door of his apartment! By providing a perfect hide away for philandering bosses, the ambitious young employee reaps a series of undeserved promotions. But when Bud lends the key to big boss J.D. Sheldrake (Fred MacMurray), he not only advances his career, but his own love life as well. For Sheldrake's mistress is the lovely Fran Kubelik (Shirley MacLaine), elevator girl and angel of Bud's dreams. Convinced that he is the only man for Fran, Bud must make the most important executive decision of his career: lose the girl... or his job.

The Fortune Cookie Synopsis

Powered by Walter Matthau's Oscar®-winning performance as the quintessential all-American chiseler, The Fortune Cookie is a hysterically funny comedy that showcases filmmaker BillyWilder at his uproarious best. Harry Hinkle (Jack Lemmon) is one lucky guy! When he's accidentally clobbered by a 220-pound halfback, all Harry suffers is a slight concussion. All, that is, until Whiplash Willie (Matthau)a legal scoundrel of the first orderarrives on the scene! For if Harry follows shyster Willie's advice and feigns a crippling injury, the two charlatans can split a cool million in phony insurance claims. But can Willie's world-class finagling dispel those ominous words that lie within the fortune cookie on Harry's hospital plate: You can't fool all of the people all of the time?

Kiss Me Stupid! Synopsis

Dean Martin is full of charm, wit and snappy one-liners in this 'sly, irreverent, brash and daring comedy (The Film Daily) from the legendary team of Billy Wilder and I. A. L. Diamond (Some Like It Hot, The Apartment)! When world-renowned singer Dino (Martin in a hilarious self-parody) passes through Climax, Nevada, he doesn't count on meeting two would-be songwriters with a plan to trap him there and serenade him with their songs.

Some Like It Hot Synopsis

When Chicago musicians Joe (Tony Curtis) and Jerry (Jack Lemmon) accidentally witness a gangland shooting, they quickly board a southbound train to Florida, disguised as Josephine and Daphne, the two newest and homeliest members of an all-girl jazz band. Their cover is perfect...until a lovelorn singer (Marilyn Monroe) falls for Josephine, an ancient playboy (Joe E. Brown) falls for Daphne, and a mob boss (George Raft) refuses to fall for their hoax! Nominated for 6 Academy Awards®, Some Like It Hot is the quintessential madcap farce and one of the greatest of all film comedies (The Motion Picture Guide).

*1961 - Best Picture; Best Director, Billy Wilder; Best Art Direction, Set Direction, Black-and-White; Best Film Editing, Daniel Mandell; Best Writing, Story and Screenplay, Written Directly for the Screen, Billy Wilder and I.A.L. Diamond

# # #

BILLY WILDER Film Collection

DVD Price: $39.98 U.S. / $54.98 Canada
Street Date: March 4, 2008
Prebook Date: February 6, 2008
Running Time: 495 mins.
Catalog Number: M110278
Audio Features: English Mono
MPAA: XXX
Language: English
Subtitles: English/Spanish
Closed Captioned YES

The Apartment Special Edition

Running Time: 125 mins.
Catalog Number: M110080
Closed Captioned YES

The Fortune Cookie

Catalog Number: M101215
Closed Captioned YES

Kiss Me Stupid!

Catalog Number: M101980
Closed Captioned YES

Some Like It Hot Collector’s Edition

Running Time: 120 mins.
Catalog Number: M102843
Closed Captioned YES
; XXX
Closed Captioned YES

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   SD_Brian

SD_Brian

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted January 18 2008 - 08:59 AM

That's an awfully elaborate press release for putting 4 previously available DVD's into a new box.

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted January 18 2008 - 09:32 AM

As we feared...

Save for the new "SCE" of The Apartment, I see no reason to waste money on this. For a bunch of mediocre transfers and barebone discs, you get more with the older set at a better bargain.

Another miss from MGM.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted January 18 2008 - 10:54 AM

I love all four of these movies, but unless there's improved transfers, I'll pass on double-dipping.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Bill Parisho

Bill Parisho

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted February 09 2008 - 01:53 PM

I agree with everyone! Except for the new edition of The Apartment, why the heck would anybody want this set?
Bill

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 1,997 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted February 09 2008 - 02:03 PM

edited: Another snoreville of a press release

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted February 09 2008 - 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_d
Another snoreville from WHV.

Makes me wonder if the good people at WHV left.

The set is produced by MGM and distributed by Fox. Nobody from Warner is involved.

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,016 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 09 2008 - 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Parisho
Except for the new edition of The Apartment, why the heck would anybody want this set?
Bill
I guess it would be good if you didn't have any of the previous releases of the movies. Although how many people can there be that have none of these movies but want them all?

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted February 09 2008 - 10:51 PM

Not really Travis, the previous Wilder collection is selling for approx. the same price and has twice as many movies with the same terrible transfers...

Also:

DVD Price: $39.98 U.S. / $54.98 Canada

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,651 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted February 10 2008 - 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_d
Another snoreville from WHV.

Makes me wonder if the good people at WHV left.
If you're going to throw darts, at least get the right studio to throw darts at.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 1,997 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted February 10 2008 - 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
If you're going to throw darts, at least get the right studio to throw darts at.

Crawdaddy

Fair point.

[smacksselfinsideofhead]head[/smacksselfinsideofhead]

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,580 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted May 24 2008 - 04:42 PM

Well, I wanted these films and did not have them yet. And I got them for a steal. I saw the set at Best Buy (Canada) for the US MSRP. Pass. Went to Future Shop (I was hunting for fire sale HD DVDs in each place--slim pickings left, I'm afraid) and saw the same set for 24.99. At that price, I went for it. Got to the cash register and it rang up as 29.99. Quebec consumer law says if there is a difference between the price on the product and at the cash register (where the register is higher) then one of two things must happen. If the item is 10$ or under, it must be given to you for free. If it is over 10$, then 10$ must be taken off the pre-tax price. So while this set may not be worth the MSRP (in either country), I think 14.99 is a fair price. I look forward to revisiting a couple of old favourites and discovering some I've never seen.

ETA: Just found out about the less than optimal Some Like It Hot presentation--takes some of the lustre off this package (would have been more disappointed if I didn't get the extra rebate) BUT as Some Like It Hot will likely be the first of these four to be released in "blu" someday, I'll upgrade then.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow