Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

SP/DIF to Analog Converter/Cable

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Tegamal1978

Tegamal1978

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted January 18 2008 - 12:00 AM

Do they make such a beast? I've been everywhere from Circuit City, to Best Buy, to Radio Shack with no luck.

Here's my situation: I have an HDTV (Philips model 42PFL5432D/37), and it only has SP/DIF output, but my Receiver only has Analog input. I'm looking for a temporary solution (like a crossover cable or something), short of buying a new receiver.

I can't imagine they don't make something like this, with all the other converters out there.

If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it!

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

Lead Actor

• 6,530 posts

Posted January 18 2008 - 04:38 AM

Sorry, there is no such beast. SPDIF is digital. Analog is . . . . well . . . analog. Without a processor of some sort to decode the digital (i.e - a receiver, prepro, etc), the two don't play well together at all.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Kean-Hock Yeap

Kean-Hock Yeap

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted January 18 2008 - 05:56 AM

You are essentially looking for a DAC (Digital-Analog Converter) such as this:
DAC707 Super Pro
Not gonna be cheap.

Edit: The TV should have a Headphone out. If you use a mini-stereo to dual-RCA Y cable such as this:
Amazon.com: Belkin Audio Y Cable Splitter 1-Mini Plug/2-RCA Plugs (6FT): Electronics
you should be able to connect it to your receiver. It's less than ideal but can probably work as a temporary solution.
Perpetual Novice

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,578 posts

Posted January 18 2008 - 10:58 AM

My guess is you can find suitable used D/A converters on eBay pretty cheap.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.