What's new

Speculation/Guestimates on 2008 releases? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys:

After checking TVShowsOnDVD.com, and thinking about how the television/dvd companies work, sometimes I try to "guess" what the different companies might put out. For example, Paramount is putting out quite a bit of the Quinn Martin material (The Streets of San Francisco, the Fugitive, etc) so it MIGHT be in their radar to release the Invaders in a year or two.

Remember, this is just a guess on my part and NO WAY do I have any confirmation on this speculation of mine. But it just seems that if the other tv shows sell well, Paramount might try something else from the QM library.

Another example, is that BCI (or the Paint and Ink Club) have just confirmed that they will be releases Sabrina (1970's animated version) and Archie's Funhouse later this spring, so perhaps they will release U.S. of Archie and Archie's TV Funnies later this year. Again. . .that's if the releases sell well. . .and these are just guesses of mine.

But do any of play games like this with yourselves? Sort of life Fantasy Football, but with TV-DVD's you'd like to see come out.

We all know that the Adam West Batman series, The Wonder Years, the Six Million Dollar Man, and the Bionic Woman are help up due to various legalities. . .so than you start trying to figure out what does that leave for the DVD people to release. . .and if it will sell well.

How do you guys "guess" what might come out?

James Smith

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Has The Wonder Years been held up due to any legalities concerning music played during the show's run? Just curious.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

As much as I'd love to see this come out on DVD, this is the one show that I firmly believe we will never see. There is just way too much music to clear. And I do mean way too much. Far more than WKRP, as best I can tell. We are talking about a show that generally had anywhere from 3 to 6 "oldies" played in part or in whole every single episode. There's just no way all that music, or even most of it, can be cleared.

Gary "too bad - it's one of the very few late 80's/early 90's shows I'd want on dvd" O.

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Almost a dead certainty that we'll see more announcements for:

``Bewitched''
``Incredible Hulk''
``JAG''
``I Dream of Jeannie''
``Wings''
``Melrose Place''
``The Odd Couple''
``ER''
the final seasons of ``The 4400'' and ``The Dead Zone''

I realize this last part is more of a wish list:

Hopefully soon we'll get the last season for ``Mork & Mindy'' and another announcement for ``The Muppet Show'' and the first volume of S2 for ``Baa Baa Black Sheep''...would be nice to get more ``Dharma & Greg'' and the final season of ``The Flying Nun'' and the last season of the ``Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries''. Also, would love for an announcement by year's end for the last season of ``SeaQuest DSV.''

PatH

Second Unit
To David Levine:

Please have your company look into Yancy Derringer, a single season late 50's Western starring Jock Mahoney and X Brands. I, for one, want this very badly and I assure you I am not alone.

Thanks!

PatH

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
To David Levine:

This is James Smith. I'm the one who "mentioned" BCI putting out Archie. I'm sorry and I regret my mistake. Afraid I got my companies wrong.

James Smith

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
Well, I know Mannix is being worked on as I reported here several months ago. I have no word on The Invaders but I would guess we will see this at some point, if not later this year than maybe next year. The problem is that Paramount seems to be the only studio truly active in vintage releases at this point and so they have a lot of shows on their plate. I am also guessing that after they finish Gomer Pyle (2 seasons left?) that they will get to The Beverly Hillbillies.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
I heard logo is rumoured to be releasing Exes & Oh's around May Time
and if the writers strike finally ends we might see the releases of
Criminal Minds - Season 3
Moonlight - Season 1
Bones - Season 3
Life - Season 1
Ugly Betty - Season 2

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
I've been trying to GUESS what Hanna Barbara or animated cartoons might come out next from WB?

I THINK Freakazoid and Tiny Toons are strong contenders.

Frankenstien Jr and the Impossibles and Herculoids might have a chance.

Perhaps the Batman animated program from 1969 might have a chance. And possibly part 2 of the Superman 66 Filmation series might also come out. I think depends on if the studios want something to come out when the Dark Knight is released and how well sales were when when other Super Hero releases were.

The Disney Television DVD releases have trickled down to a crawl. I'm still hoping Gummi Bears 2 and Rescue Rangers 3 come out. . .but there's been nothing on that front.

Any guestimates on the cartoons, people?

James Smith

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing
Maybe Disney will release The Wuzzles (1985) was only 13 episodes. Would love to finally see season releases of The Little Mermaid and Hercules but they need to finish off the others they started first

Quizoid

Auditioning
Real Name
Anthony Martins

Unfortunately, my guess is never. Disney seems to have a policy where they only continue releasing volumes in a series if the previous volumes sell well enough for them to do so. I avoid Disney DVD series until they are complete for this reason, I don't want to be stuck with a partial show.

The Gargoyles fans have it worse, being stuck at Season 2 Vol. 1, with no Season 2 Vol. 2 in sight.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to offer my speculation:

the industry isn't going to release anything after consumers revolt over Sony (Blu Ray) and Toshiba (HD-DVD) confusing consumers over home video content and they start downloading all of their content off online resources, making Microsoft the biggest monopoly company on the planet.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If that's the case, the studios and consumers are in for a long wait because a downloading only situation for home video is many, many years away. People watching videos on You Tube has nearly crippled the internet so what would happen when a million people (and for a blockbuster that would be a very conservative number) try to download a movie when it comes out?

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, I'm hoping that Shout Factory will be announcing the final two season of That Girl! this year.

I'm pretty sure that Universal will finish Rockford Files this year.

Paramount might finish The Odd Couple since season 4 has already been announced.

Since Saturday Night Live Season 3 has been announced for May, I'd like to see season 4 around Christmas time. This is beginning to look like a real possibility.

I'm really hoping that Sony will announce the next seasons (sets) for All In The Family, Maude, One Day at a Time, and Mary Hartman soon.

Chances are The Incredible Hulk will finish this year.

I'd like to see the next two season of Welcome Back, Kotter get released this year.

My big hope is that seasons 3 of The Bionic Woman and The Six Millioin Dollar Man get released in the UK this year. I've given up on a US version ever hitting DVD any time soon.

Shows that haven't been released that I'd like to see get released are Rhoda, Room 222, Eight Is Enough, Chico and the Man, Vegas, and The Courtship of Eddie's Father.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Brian Himes:
Here's another vote for The Courtship of Eddie's Father and (especially) Room 222. How I'd love to see those on DVD in 2008.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Brian, that's a great list. I'd like all of the shows you mentioned, in particular Eight is Enough, Room 222, ....Eddie's Father.

As for the R2/4 Bionic S3's, still waiting. It's been over a year (Oct '06) since the S2 releases. There's no telling if Uni Playback has put these in the "Black Hole" of dead releases or if they'll continue with the 2 shows. There's no word as yet from the overseas stores or contacts in Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks