-

Photo
- - - - -

DVI to HDMI

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   jblfx

jblfx

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 03:47 PM

Hi, I have a Sharp XR-10S projector hooked up to an HD cable box. Right now I'm using S-video and digital optical connections from the cable box to a Sony STR-DG800 receiver then to the projector by S-video.

The cable box has DVI out and the receiver has HDMI in (for cable boxes). If I get a DVI to HDMI cable, will this work? And will the image and sound be better? From receiver to projector I only have S-video and yellow video coaxial plugs available.

Thank you.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 17 2008 - 12:59 AM

Quote:
The cable box has DVI out and the receiver has HDMI in (for cable boxes). If I get a DVI to HDMI cable, will this work? And will the image and sound be better?

The picture will be better. The sound won't be affected, because DVI does not carry audio information, only video. Even connected to an HDMI input it can't pass data that it isn't carrying in the first place. You'll still need the digital audio to go from the cable box to the reciever.

Regards,

Joe

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted January 17 2008 - 03:37 AM

My cable box has DVI out and not HDMI. I use a DVI to HDMI cable to go from the cable box to the TV and use an optical cable to go from the cable box to my receiver. It works great.