-

Photo
- - - - -

DVD sound: SACD or digital coax?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 SCcobra4me

SCcobra4me

Stunt Coordinator

• 100 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 07:18 AM

New guy here, couple questions.

How much better is this 6 cable SACD setup compared to digital coax for sound? And what's the best way to hook up my DVD player for video, directly to the TV or through the receiver?

I currently have a Harman Kardon DVD-31 with a Harman Kardon AVR247 receiver. Neither the DVD or TV have HDMI so that is out of the question for the time being but will eventually step it up. I am running component cables from the DVD to the Video 1 input on the TV for video and digital coax from DVD to the receiver for sound, but not sure if this is the best way.

I am only running 5.1 for now but in my next house will have 7.1 FWIW.

#2 of 4 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted January 16 2008 - 08:35 AM

The way you have it is fine. The main reason for running video through the receiver first, is it's easier switching sources. To go from dvd to watching tv, all you have to do is push the "TV" button. Takes out the step of having to change inputs on the tv.

The 5.1 analog outputs/inputs is the only way you'll be able to listen to sacd's, with your equipment. It's also the only way to hear the new HD audio formats on HD DVD and Blu ray, since your receiver doesn't have and process audio through HDMI. Of course, the player would need the 5.1 analog outputs, and not all do.
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#3 of 4 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,699 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted January 19 2008 - 05:23 AM

Quote:
How much better is this 6 cable SACD setup compared to digital coax for sound?
If you really enjoy listenning to music then I feel DVD-Audio (the H/K 31 doesn't support SACD) does make a noticable difference. Especially since the 31 offers bass management thru the analog outs. On the down side, things like EZSet/EQ and bass/treble adjustments are bypassed by the 247 so no tweaking of the sound is allowed. This doesn't seem to bother too many people but I like to make the occasional adjustments now and then. And then there's the dwindling supply of DVD-A discs Posted Image . So all things considered, I say to stick with the coax for now.
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#4 of 4 plinkoking

plinkoking

Auditioning

• 12 posts

Posted January 24 2008 - 04:58 AM

I like SACD I think it gives the best sound