Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Remote control for HTPC??

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   PaulDF

PaulDF

Second Unit

• 354 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 06:52 AM

I listen to a lot of music off my PC, which is downstairs in my house. I have both floors wired for sound off the PC, but have to run downstairs in order to skip or view whats playing... I also watch a lot of movies off the PC, and have to get up off the couch to pause, etc....

I know I need a RF or UHF remote, since IR will not go through walls, and certainly won't work on a different floor. RF remote controls seem to be somewhat hard to find, and especially one to operate a PC.

I was looking at the Remote Wonder II CDN Product detail - REMOTE WONDER™ II , but when I spoke to a salesman there, he actually steered me away from it... Since I don't actually have any ATI components in my PC... But as far as I can tell, this product should still work for me.

Now, to get a little more complicated, it would also be nice to have a small screen somewhere upstairs, or even on the remote. The first idea is simple enough for me to wire something in, but maybe there are more options than I have thought of....?

I'd appreciate any ideas or links to products that would help achieve what I'm wanting to do... Keeping in mind it needs to operate from another floor of the house. I might also be somewhat open to the idea of a good quality universal remote to operate my HT and my PC. (I do need to upgrade to a backlit remote for my projector room... lol)

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter

• 1,529 posts

Posted January 17 2008 - 11:04 PM

Why not get a proper remote media player instead and hook that up to the room you are in?

Something like a Squeezebox from Slimdevices - you run server software on the computer but you can pick and choose with a remote what you play back in the room where you have it.

If you want to do video too there are boxes that include that, Squeezebox is an audio only solution.
"If we do happen to step on a mine, Sir, what do we do?"
"Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in the air and scatter oneself over a wide area." -- "BlackAdder 4"

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted January 18 2008 - 03:08 AM

I love my Squeezebox, and more importantly, so does the wife. Posted Image

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man

• 12,194 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted January 18 2008 - 01:25 PM

Paul:

I really like the Logitech 890 RF remote. It is a bit pricey but it works great on my HTPC from my upstairs bedroom to my HTPC in my office.

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users