What's new

HD-DVD help (1 Viewer)

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator
OK, so I have been a blu-ray user for a while now - love the PS3. Anyway there are a few titles that are only available in HD-DVD that I wanted - Transformers, BB, and Serenity - to name a few. So I read and read an decided I would go with the add-on HD-DVD drive for the 360; got it home, hooked it up and threw in KK, WOW really great picture, low audio volume (issue with the drive itself). Then I get BB, yes! WOOT....happy days. Needless to say I was really disappointed. I wanted to do a comparison between the HD and SD version, using the PS3 to play the SD. Well I could see a little better color and clarity in the HD version, but not much over the SD version upconverted on my PS3. Also it was very clitchy, meaning the panning wasn't smooth in places....and same can be said for playing Serenity. Not to mention unable to play in 1080p; so long story short is I took the damn HD-DVD drive back. Now I have three movies I can't watch, but I know BB will be on Blu-ray sometime since WB just went to BD.

My question, finally - is it worth getting an HD-DVD player now? Since WB has gone exclusively BD, and I know Transformers will one day be BD. But the Bourne are HD and some other titles as well. I'm thinking about the A35, seems like it gets good reviews here. It does 1080p and will pass lossless audio. I've got a 3808ci on it's way to replace my NAD T763 (which I'm sad to have to replace, great receiver). I just don't know if it is really worth the $269 (on Amazon). Help? Advice?

This is also posted in the Christmas Rant thread, but it's a little different than what that thread is about.

Thanks

Mike

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Mike,

If your 1080p tv does correct de-interlacing of incoming 1080i there's no reason to get a 1080p player, and a Tosh A3 can be had for $149 list. Only you can decide if it's worth it to get the movies that are currently HD DVD exclusives. None of the HD DVD exclusive studios have made any announcement about going BD, and even if they do tomorrow the fact that the BD replication facilities are already stretched to the limit will no doubt mean that these studios will be concentrating any BD releases on new titles, not their current catalog of HD DVD releases.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It would help if you gave us more details as to the make/model of the TV and video connection used between the Xbox 360 and the TV.

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator

Thank Patrick and Steve - my current setup is as follows:

Sony Bravia 46XBR4
Xbox-360 connected directly to the Sony via component video (older 360 doesn't support HDMI).

Steve I'm not sure if my Sony does de-interlacing, I'm sure that's something I can easily look up on Sony's website...just hadn't thought to look before.

If my Sony does do de-interlacing will there be a big difference in picture quality? Or, running it through the 3808ci when it arrives - I know it upconverts.

Thanks for replying guys.

Mike

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Have you consider using the PC-VGA input on your TV? That's the way I have my Xbox 360 connected to a plasma TV with the VGA input. You'd need to get the Xbox VGA cable, though (it replaces the Xbox 360 Component video cable). My solution works pretty well, never had a reason to complain about the video quality, also it allows you to upconvert your SD DVDs with your Xbox using the VGA connection. The cost of the VGA cable is small compared to another HD DVD player.

XBOX 360 VGA CABLE

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator

I'd read here that the VGA cable didn't have as vibrant colors as the component cables.....also I didn't like that the HD-DVD player for the 360 didn't play the movie very well, maybe I got a faulty player? Either way I already took it back. I currently use my PS3 to play SD DVDs since it upconverts very well, I think.

Maybe I'll look into the A30/A3 since they are pretty inexpensive, and I believe my Sony does do the correct de-interlacing which would allow me to buy a 1080i unit.

Thanks Patrick

Dave>h

Second Unit
Hi,

I am an hd dvd supporter but given you already have a PS3 and are happy with the way it upconverts your SD DVD's, I don't think it would be worth it for you to purchase a stand alone player.

If I were in your position, I would rent the SD versions of the movies that don't come out on Blu, enjoy them upconverted and wait until the war is over to purchase them on the winning format.

Dave

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Your Sony set will do fine with the 1080i via HDMI from an A3. I have a Sony KDS60A2000 1080p SXRD rear projection with an A3 and a PS3 connected with HDMI via a Pioneer VSX-82 receiver. PQ is identical on HD DVD at 1080i vs BD at 1080P. Upconverted SD discs look about the same with both players, slight edge to the PS3 on some video-based SD discs.

I've always regarded the 360 add-on via component configuration as a sort of "patch job" solution. It was great at $179 for existing 360 owners back when a standalone HD DVD player cost twice as much but now that an A3 can be had for $149 max the standalone is a better deal.

Contrary to the BD situation where the PS3 is far superior to any available standalone, a standalone HD DVD player is imho a better choice than the 360 add-on.

Note that your set stores separate video adjustment parameters for each individual input, so you may need to adjust the video settings differently for whatever HD DVD player you choose vs the PS3. I have not had to make different video settings for my PS3 vs my A3 or my HD DirecTivo.

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator

I just want a HD DVD player that will play the movie without hiccuping. It drives me crazy when movies don't play right, and the add on for the Xbox didn't work well. I'll check out my local store and see if they have the A3; I know for a fact that they have the A30. Thanks for your help, I love the SXRD line. Kinda of sucks to see Sony moving away from the rear - projection market; who knows how OLED will do, who wants to pay $2500+ for an 11" screen.

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, so I went to Nebraska Furniture Mart today to look at the A3 vs the A30; I had decided on a A30 because it was only $40 more, but I couldn't find where they had them in the store. Grabbed a sales associate and asked him - and he showed me. We got to talking and he tells me Toshiba has already contacted them informing NFM that they can send back any and all HD-DVD players that are returned; doesn't matter when they were purchased.

He also says that HD-DVD is dead, and this is the reason Toshiba has made this offer to its customers. Needless to say I didn't buy one, although now that I think about it I could just buy one and take it back when the announcement is made. But here is my problem, I haven't heard anything about HD being "dead". Not on here (unless I just missed it) or any other forums I'm a member of. Thoughts?

Also, another sales person told me that the PS3 doesn't pass lossless audio? WTF? I told him that he was wrong....or am I. I though it did pass DD HD just not DTS HD - yet. Or does it just not decode lossless, but my 3808ci will be able to decode the signal. Correct.

Thank you again.

Mike

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
HD DVD is not "dead". Yet. Toshiba has yet to raise the white flag. However, you need to consider the upshot of buying an HD DVD player. The third generation of HD DVD players has the Reon chipset, regarded by many as one of the best upconverting chipsets out there. As well, if you don't want to wait until the BDs of movies like Transformers come out, you can buy them now, and eventually there will be a "fire sale" on HD DVD titles, if the naysayers are correct, so you can wait, or you can enjoy now. With the A30 going for ~$220 Cdn, it's a good idea to weigh all your options before making a final decision.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

I actually bought an open boxed A30 for $186 at FS yesterday to compliment my A1 if it should fail. And I will continue to buy discs on the HD-DVD format.

JGiampa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Giampa
I probably just bought my last HD-DVD. I purchased my XBOX 360 last year for titles like the Bourne Ultimatum. Thing is the movie won't play! I have gotten two copies, and have the latest firmware. Still won't play. i can't even return it because of "copyright laws".

That is pretty much it for me, no more HD-DVDs.

Mike_J_D

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah I'm stuck with three movies - Batman Begins, Transformers, and Serenity; although I might be selling those to a guy I work with. I didn't care for the 360 HD-DVD drive.

jackmantas

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack mantas
I have my 360 HD-DVD drive hooked up via VGA to my SAMSUNG 46" LCD 1080p and it looks incredible. Are you sure you had your settings right?

I have no complaints at all with the HD-DVD add on for the 360 or the VGA cable. Looks incredible for both games and movies.

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig

weird - I have the 360 add-on and it looks great. Haven't tried it with hdmi yet, but the component cables look really clean. I have the newer 360 with the HDMI. Unfortunately, ms makes you buy their ridiculous $50 hdmi cable instead of a standard one (a standard one will work, but the hdmi cable doesn't pass audio - so their version comes with an extra widget that has the separate audio out - LAME!)

ralphPerez

Stunt Coordinator
To Patrick Sun

Holly Molly you must have broken records, out of all the internet forums you have the most posting's that I have seen by one person. Congrats from someone, and you must be a buzzy body.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks