Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World delayed... again...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,525 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 01:47 AM

Here are the details from thedigitalbits.com

Quote:
Fox has delayed Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World on Blu-ray from 2/5 until June, at which time it will be part of a Father's Day Blu-ray promotion set to include Mrs. Doubtfire, Patton, The Longest Day, The Sand Pebbles, A Bridge Too Far and Battle of Britain among other titles.

DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 01:52 AM

That's a pity...

But Patton in high-def...woo hoo! (Assuming that one isn't delayed too).

--Jefferson Morris
"If fakes, they were masterpieces."

--The New York Times commenting on Willis O'Brien's dinosaurs in The Lost World (1925).

"From the two trailers I've seen, the movie looks like AIDS."--Recent thread post on AICN

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,225 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 01:55 AM

Whatta hell? Does this really mean that e.g. "Patton", "The Longest Day", "The Sand Pebbles", "A Bridge Too Far" and "Battle of Britain" are all coming in HD??

AWESOME NEWS! (if that´s the case)

I couldn´t care less if "Master and Commander" is delayed, this is some selection for the WW2-buff like myself.. Posted Image

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 01:59 AM

Mrs. Doubtfire in a Father's Day promotion? I looked at that list, and I said to my wife, "Pick the one that doesn't fit". Posted Image

Anyway, another delay for Master and Commander is disappointing indeed. If all seven of those titles make it to market, I will be pleasantly surprised. I am definitely down for Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World and Patton. I would consider blind-buying The Longest Day, The Sand Pebbles, A Bridge Too Far and Battle of Britain, but certainly not a Fox/MGM's current catalog title MSRP.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   Reagan

Reagan

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 02:22 AM

I was really looking forward to Master and Commander. I guess I'm still looking forward, only now I have to look a little farther.

-Reagan
The truth doesn't care whether you believe it.

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 03:59 AM

I'll believe that 'Master and Commander' has been released, when I'm peeling the cellophane off the case.

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 04:26 AM

Oh, I cannot wait for Patton in high def. My favorite movie of all time.

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted January 16 2008 - 04:33 AM

Hopefully such a promotion includes a drop in MSRP.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,176 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted January 16 2008 - 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagan
I was really looking forward to Master and Commander. I guess I'm still looking forward, only now I have to look a little farther.

My sentiments exactly. I'm not sure I can imagine the audio sounding any better than it does on the DTS track of the SD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wilkins
I'll believe that 'Master and Commander' has been released, when I'm peeling the cellophane off the case.

Why so skeptical, David?

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 05:42 AM

Mike,
Because this is the 3rd delay now.
Quote:
I'm not sure I can imagine the audio sounding any better than it does on the DTS track of the SD
A compressed 754 DTS track won't stand a chance against a DTS Master lossless track.

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 05:44 AM

Patton! Posted Image Posted Image

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 05:56 AM

Patton +1

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,307 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted January 16 2008 - 07:55 AM

Patton had better look spectacular in HD.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,027 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 16 2008 - 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Why so skeptical, David?
Because that title has been delayed about three different times.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 12:02 PM

I'll take this delay because of what else we're getting Posted Image That's a stellar father's day lineup.

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,027 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 16 2008 - 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Martin
I'll take this delay because of what else we're getting Posted Image That's a stellar father's day lineup.
I hope to be pleasantly surprise to see everyone of those titles come out in June.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins

Screenwriter

• 1,765 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wilkins
Considering that it's already been released in Europe, I have no doubt that it's coming. I wish they didn't feel the need to wait until Father's Day though.

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 01:03 PM

Maybe they'll take advantage of the delay to ensure all of the copious and quality extras on the MASTER AND COMMANDER: Collector's Edition SD are carried over. I won't be buying the Blu-ray unless they are...
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 01:34 PM

Quote:
Fox has delayed Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World on Blu-ray from 2/5 until June, at which time it will be part of a Father's Day Blu-ray promotion set to include Mrs. Doubtfire, Patton, The Longest Day, The Sand Pebbles, A Bridge Too Far and Battle of Britain among other titles.

The Blu-Ray fun never stops at the house of Fox!!

Now if I don't believe this excuse does that mean I'm overly pessimistic? Or is Fox just full of shit? Wasn't Ronin supposedly delayed for Fathers Day also? FWIW It's nice to see Patton on their new list of vaporware titles, just seeing these great titles in print is just as fun as actually physically having a BD and watching the film in High Def.

BTW Is Robin Williams in drag really that big a hit with other dads? I'm a dad and I'd rather put my nuts in a vice and give it a couple of turns than to sit through Mrs Doubtfire again. Swap Mrs D with The Great Escape or The Magnificent Seven and I'd be more excited........wait.......no I won't because these will either never get officially announced or they'll be delayed into 2009.

Thanks for what's sure to be a very special Fathers Day Fox. Job well done!

[End Rant]
Death before Streaming!

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K
The Blu-Ray fun never stops at the house of Fox!!

Now if I don't believe this excuse does that mean I'm overly pessimistic? Or is Fox just full of shit? Wasn't Ronin supposedly delayed for Fathers Day also? FWIW It's nice to see Patton on their new list of vaporware titles, just seeing these great titles in print is just as fun as actually physically having a BD and watching the film in High Def.

You want them to announce titles AND release them for people to purchase as well??! Why not ask for the world as well? Pfft.

I agree, Mrs. Doubtfire isn't exactly a movie you'd target fathers with... or most males. I bet Doubtfire gets released on schedule too.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow