Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

colors not lined up on dlp. whats wrong?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   brandonchenry

brandonchenry

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted January 15 2008 - 05:39 PM

My mom has a mitsubishi dlp tv. she moved it to the other side of the room. Now the reds shift down a little, and the blues shift up a little. It does it for all sources, so it must be in the tv. Any ideas on what is wrong?

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,660 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 12:43 AM

Probably the earth magnetic field (or else a magnetic source nearby). Try de-gaussing the set. Normally, in modern TV-sets, that will happen when you put in off (totally off power) and on again.

If that doesn't solve the problem: is there a speaker nearby? Or another magnetic device?

Cees

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Steve_Pannell

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor

• 595 posts
  • LocationNew Albany, MS

Posted January 16 2008 - 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Alons
Probably the earth magnetic field (or else a magnetic source nearby). Try de-gaussing the set. Normally, in modern TV-sets, that will happen when you put in off (totally off power) and on again.

If that doesn't solve the problem: is there a speaker nearby? Or another magnetic device?

Cees

Would magnetism affect a DLP TV? I have one myself and haven't had a problem but I'd still like to know.

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Steve Berger

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 12:57 AM

You might want to check and see if the mirror cracked or was dislodged in the move. If the set has ever been serviced, they might have left the optical bock hold down screws out and the whole assembly could have moved slightly. Otherwise you could be looking at a prism or mirror inside of the optical block shifting or a color wheel not syncing up. (the last two could be major or catastrophic)

From a signal standpoint, you should try other sources also. (DVD, VCR, new cables) Some signal abberations can cause cause ringing and reflections. (but these are usually left-to-right and not top-to-bottom)

I don't know personally of anything in a DLP that could be affected by magnetism. I've been servicing for 35+ years but have seen very few DLPs in the shop so my experience is limited on this technology, only literature and research.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen

Producer

• 6,330 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted January 16 2008 - 03:51 AM

wow....quite weird.

degaussing will not help.

Call for service...something has come loose.

The Sonodome - circa 2001
The Newest Sonotube - circa 2001
Gregg's DVDs updated...sometimes
Lion Audio Video Consultants usually current

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 10:32 AM

If it's DLP, it's almost certainly single chip. And if it's single chip, it's sequential color, and the only way that effect could happen is if there was a significant amount of color skew. Significant as in something like the blue cable is 50 feet long, the green cable is several miles long, and the red cable is twice that.

I don't know if Mitsubishi ever did LCD RPTVs or not; LCDs do have optical blocks with three separate imagers and could theoretically, albiet with difficulty, generate this effect.

Mitsu is, in my mind, particularly known for CRT RPTVs, and if it inadvertantly got dropped on one side, may have shifted the tubes slightly, which would account for this.

If you're absolutely positive that it's a DLP unit, and there hasn't been the addition of 30,000 feet of extra cable, then something really odd went mad inside the set.

Not, of course, that it's impossible that something really odd went made inside the set; these things do occassionally happen. (outragously mad, that is, not this particular set of symptoms.)

Leo

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 01:20 PM

DLP is one of those rear-projector tvs, right? I've seen one of those once and it had a set-up menu where you could align the colors. It created a "+" sign in the center of the screen, and you could manually shift the colors into place.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   lukeatme7

lukeatme7

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 03:52 PM

It could be that the color wheel has been dislodged.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   Rod_Rigo

Rod_Rigo

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted January 17 2008 - 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Pannell
Would magnetism affect a DLP TV? I have one myself and haven't had a problem but I'd still like to know.

Did I miss the answer to this? I have an issue with color no one seems to figure out and do have a center speaker on top of the TV. If this is what ruined my TV, I'm going to kick myself for a long time. I didn't think magnetism affected DLP's!

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,872 posts

Posted January 17 2008 - 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_B
DLP is one of those rear-projector tvs, right? I've seen one of those once and it had a set-up menu where you could align the colors. It created a "+" sign in the center of the screen, and you could manually shift the colors into place.

I'm no DLP guru, but that sounds like a CRT RPTV, not DLP. A couple (usually) distinguishing features between the two would be the CRT one is floorstanding and quite a bit deeper (and heavier) for the same screen size. Also, you will see squarish pixels on the DLP that you won't on the CRT when you get close enough to the screen.

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#11 of 15 Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Posted January 17 2008 - 08:12 AM

magnets will not effect a DLP TV, there is nothing magnetic in the projection system (other than the motor for the color wheel)

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted January 17 2008 - 10:24 AM

All DLP sets are rear projection but not all rear projection sets are DLP. Currently the most common type of rear projection sets in stores are DLP so it would be understandable for someone not familiar with rear projection sets to make this mistake.

The OP's mom's set is almost certainly a crt-based model, with 3 separate crts in the lower part of the set projecting an image onto the mirror in the slanted back of the set and the mirror bouncing it onto the back of the screen surface. The images from all 3 crts must align perfectly when they hit the screen. The set needs to have the convergence adjusted. Mits sets allowed this in the user menu, but it's best to have the owner's manual handy.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Steve Berger

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor

• 960 posts

Posted January 17 2008 - 11:25 AM

A model number (and approximate age) would help.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,660 posts

Posted January 17 2008 - 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Panell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cees Alons
Try de-gaussing the set.
Would magnetism affect a DLP TV?
No, of course not. Posted Image
Sorry, my eyes must have read the "dlp.", but my mind said "CRT".

Disregard my reply, therefore, please.

Cees

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   brandonchenry

brandonchenry

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted March 22 2008 - 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Schaffer
All DLP sets are rear projection but not all rear projection sets are DLP. Currently the most common type of rear projection sets in stores are DLP so it would be understandable for someone not familiar with rear projection sets to make this mistake.

The OP's mom's set is almost certainly a crt-based model, with 3 separate crts in the lower part of the set projecting an image onto the mirror in the slanted back of the set and the mirror bouncing it onto the back of the screen surface. The images from all 3 crts must align perfectly when they hit the screen. The set needs to have the convergence adjusted. Mits sets allowed this in the user menu, but it's best to have the owner's manual handy.

You were right! It was something that could be adjusted in the user menu. Thanks for your help. Posted Image

Back to Display Devices (TVs/Projectors/Screens)

Forum Nav Content I Follow