Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Looking for good hardware to support 5.1 audio through headphones

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted January 15 2008 - 04:36 AM

Recently my girlfriend changed jobs and goes to bed pretty early. I now find myself watching movies at an extremely low volume so as not to wake her up. I like watching movies in my Home Theater at a loud volume, so it's killing me. I want a good headphone setup. I remember some years back, Dolby Headphone was supposed to emulate 5.1 sound in headphones. Whatever happened to that? What are my options for good surround-sound in a headphone setup? I'm kind of in the market for a new Receiver anyway.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   walls

• 4 posts

Posted January 15 2008 - 05:50 AM

I have the Senn 555's and 595's and for movies or TV I prefer the cheaper 555's. They have a nice open soundstage and they actually place the action on screen fairly well. Unfortunately I dont have any real experience with true 5.1 headphone rigs but if you go to headfi.com and do a search you will get all the info you need.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

• 5,715 posts

Posted January 15 2008 - 12:36 PM

I wonder what the difference between Dolby Headphone and just the 5.1 soundtrack downmised to 2 channels would be? It's not like you have a lot of flexibility with the original 5.1 channels going into the 2 speakers in the headphones. Delay and phase I would think are the other 2 things you can mess with.
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

• 3,219 posts

Posted January 15 2008 - 05:15 PM

One of those things that has to be heard to be believed.

This has a demo page.

Dolby Technology - Dolby Headphone with 5.1 Surround Sound Stereo

And for crying out loud, use headphones to listen to the demos. Otherwise, you won't get the point.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 03:51 AM

I appreciate everyone's help. Those demos sound pretty amazing! Thanks for the links to headfi.com! It looks like I either need to find a receiver with Dolby Headphone or buy a seperate adaptor like the JVC SU-DH1. Time to start researching receivers. Those Sennheiser HD-555 headphones look pretty good!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users