What's new

Kings of the Abandoned Box Sets? (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I was looking at the List of Box Sets from Sony On sale at DDD. They are running a BOGOF sale. And Seeing the list made me take notice that Sony Just might be the King of the "One and Done" sporting quite a healthy list of Unfinished Series. Kinda Sad..

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Does this represent everything that Sony has released for the tv on dvd market? My God, just how scared of TV shows predating 1970 can one company be?

Agree, too in that Sony reigns supreme in the "one and done" category. They share the spotlight with Universal at times, though.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
How to predict Sony releases (if you tried hard enough):

If it predates Seinfeld, expect one or two seasons, and if you're lucky all episodes will be uncut and maybe some extras (not very good ones, though)

If it predates Bewitched, forget it.

Universal I can't make hide nor hair of. But let's not forget about our "friends" at Fox.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
My biggest gripe is with Universal. They released a single season each of "Kojak," "Dragnet," and "Adam-12," and it looks like they're pretty much not going to release any more of those series, which represent some of my favorites. Same for "Night Gallery," "McCloud," "McMillan and Wife," "Quincy, M.E." and, possibly, "Alias Smith and Jones," and the two seasons of "Leave It To Beaver." But Universal does seem much more open to licensing than the other big studios ("Ironside" and "McHale's Navy" to Shout! Factory, "Banacek" to Hart Sharpe and its successor, and all of the older Westerns and crime series that Timeless Media has released). So it at least seems feasible to me that some of these series might surface eventually on other labels, not that I'm holding my breath.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
This is the reason why these studios should release the first two (full) seasons of a television series before gauging on whether the sales of a series is going to do well. Unfortunately, the problem with the studios is they gauge the sales of the first season and if they're not well, they don't release further sets.

There are reasons why the first sets might not sell, most first season sets of a series have lackluster episodes and most fans aren't familair with the series until the second, third or fourth.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I think Universal had issues. They stuck with dvd-18s even though they had a reatively higher error rate. As a result, a lot of people who wanted to buy these shows decided against it. I think Universal realized their name was mud and decided to license out their titles.

It's a catch-22. I don't blame anyone for not buying because of dvd-18 but the risk is it doesn't sell enough to justify further releases. A company is not going to say it didn't sell because of dvd-18s. They are going to say it didn't sell.

70sTVlover

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick
King of one and done definately Universal, however I am very pleased with what they have delivered with murder she wrote, magnum pi and the rockford files... BUT like many of you have mentioned there is Kojak Quincy McCloud etc etc...
Kings of two and through definately FOX a la Hill Street Blues, FOX raises everyones hopes and then quits e.g king of the hill, MTM show, NYPD Blue, also one and done with St Elsewhere (Think it was fox) and lets not forget Cagney and Lacey

What ever the case I stand by this: Paramount are the KINGS of TV on DVD!!!!

Jonathan Peterson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Peterson
Another vote here for Universal. They are by far the worst when it comes to abandoning sets with one or two seasons released.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Francis, that's the biggest problem and one reason why I held off buying the Miami Vice DVD sets until they released the complete series set with all single sided disks.

While I do own some Universal Double Sided disk sets, the biggest problem I had was with the A-Team sets skipping all of the time ... it was annoying to say the least ...

Firebee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

I might've had different luck with a real DVD player, but I had a horrible time with Uni's flippers pixelating and even not playing with the early ``A-Team'' sets, when playing them on my PS2. Not even noticing a problem now playing them on my PS3. I do know what you're talking about there, Mark.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Damn Universal and those DVD 18s! :)
I would be happy to get a re-release of season 1 of Adam-12, Dragnet, and season 3 of Columbo, season 3 of Northern Exposure, to name a few. Most i didnt buy because they were on DVD -18s, and a few i did were hell to get copies that would play, or were not scratched to hell new. One, of those titles, Adam-12 bit the dust after a few years sitting on my shelf, but it did play when it was new. Universal, SONY, and FOX all suck for different reasons for the TV on DVD they put out. I am even getting tired of Paramount now. Scratched discs from the dreaded Mexico plants, and half season sets for the same price as full season sets for classic shows. Its an irritation, but they do put out discs of old shows that look great!

michael_ks

Screenwriter

I'm really miffed about that one. I should have purchased this back when Best Buy was selling these for $19.99 each. Now, they won't even stock S3 and I won't take a chance on this working for me at a higher price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks