What's new

Plasma TV Purchase?? (1 Viewer)

jedimaster79

Auditioning
Real Name
Thad
I feel pretty confident that I have finally made to decision to go with plasma vs. LCD. I watch alot of sports and movies. All in all my tv get a tv:game of about 70%:30%. Give or take.

I have weeded down my options to basically two screens:

Panasonic 50" (TH50PZ700U)

&

Samsung 50" (FP-T5084)

Could anyone who has one of these two or anyone with any suggestions or recommendations please chime in.

Thanks.

sflamedic

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vinny
I have the panny 77u and i love it. I know that the 700 got rated best on consumer reports. The 77u has a matt screen that is worth its wieght in gold. Its great. I compared the samsung next to the panny and i personally liked the panasonic better. Go compare the 2 with hd, and sd and see which you will be happier with. They are both excellent tvs.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I was looking at the same 2 sets... but I think I'm going to wait for the new line of Panny's to come out. Much improved black levels will be worth the 5 or 6 months of waiting I think.

troy evans

Screenwriter
Panasonic is consistently praised as "The Best Plasma TV Manufacturer" around and with good reason. I personally own a 42" Samsung plasma and love it. Alot of people complain about plasmas, but, it all comes down to how you take care of your gear. Coming off old school crt tube televisions, people don't take care of them and have problems either from day one or later down the road. I made the choice to go plasma as well and have no regrets. I have friends who bought LCD sets and comment how much better my picture looks than thiers. They follow that by saying," it didn't look that good(plasma) in the store when I compared it side by side". When you calibrate these plasmas the image is incredible.

dan82

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Seras
Yeah I think that too, I better wait for the technology to come along they should come up with better and sharper colors...

DougR

Second Unit

but...it's a Never Ending Technology !! You'll always be waiting for the Perfect !!

troy evans

Screenwriter
For the most part, plasmas colors and contrast ratio compared to LCD are far and away better. Now, LCDs are catching up. Some LCDs are very impressive. Alot can happen in the tv retail world in a few months. Since I bought my tv last Feb. the whole field has changed in direction. You can wait around as long as you like. Just don't get left behind.

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry

I'm going to wait until March for the new Samsung models to come out before I make the final decision. Does anybody know when the new Panny's are going to be out?

nikemike

Grip
Real Name
Mike
I was in a similar debate between a Panasonic and a Samsung. I finally decided on the Samsung 5053 as the two were nearly identical in features but I got the Sammy with an extended 3 year warranty for $300 less.

Audioman321

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jane Smiths
I am looking at the Philips 50PFP5332D 50 inch 720p Plasma TV, right now the price seems nice for $1200.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I picked up a TH-50PX75U and couldn't be happier. The next set I will buy in the future is giong to be OLED anyway so I figured I would go with a set that I could get for $1,400 and move it up to my bedroom when I get my next set a few years from now.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks