What's new

TARZAN Gordon Scott & Mike Henry (1 Viewer)

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
What are the chances of the TARZAN movies starring Gordon Scott & Mike Henry making it to DVD? These 2 guys are the Tarzans I remember growing up as a boy in the 60's. Thanks, any info would be appreciated.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
ok going off of the different WB chats, i would say that your chances are very good , think the lex barker seris would be first followed by scott, then henry

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I'm up for the Lex Barker collection since I can show it with La Dolce Vita.
It's important that the Tarzan films come out on DVD since like Charlie Chan and Mr. Moto, these are films that TV stations are hesitant to air, but I miss them from when they were Saturday afternoon staples.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Mike Schleslinger, a consultant for Sony, said their decision to release JUNGLE JIM in 2008 was due in part to the big sales that Warner had with the Weismuller Tarzans. That is great news since it means we should certainly see a Lex Barker collection in 2008 followed by Scott/Henry at some point in the future. Henry only made 3 Tarzans so perhaps his collection would be grouped with the Jock Mahoney films.

It's important that the Tarzan films come out on DVD since like Charlie Chan and Mr. Moto, these are films that TV stations are hesitant to air, but I miss them from when they were Saturday afternoon staples.

Agreed. Watching Saturday morning/afternoon TV in the 70s is what led to my love of classic cinema. Laurel & Hardy, Tarzan, East Side Kids, Chan, and Sherlock Holmes are the films/series that I recall watching the most.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Steve sounds like we had the same childhood or at least some of the same channel programining, and the beauty of this is with the releases i am getting a chance to do it all over again

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
Any news about more Tarzan movies being released on DVD? The Gordon Scott movies were great, especially the last 2. And Mike Henry's were kind of like a cross between James Bond and Tarzan.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
htf_imgcache_36551.jpeg

I hope that I am reading this discussion thread correctly!
Are the Columbia Pictures produced JUNGLE JIM movies really coming out on DVD in 2008? I'd settle for 2009!
I haven't seen any positive confirmation on this but I will certainly support this excellent proposition. I haven't seen this particular film series since the mid-1960s!
Watching Johnny Weismuller's final screen bow as the Jungle Lord in TARZAN AND THE MERMAIDS (1948) was truly a bittersweet experience but Mr. Weismuller acquited himself quite well in his final performance as the all-time best Tarzan and it would be great to continue on with further jungle adventures seeing Johnny Weismuller as the equally ruggedly heroic Jungle Jim.
Two of the very best Tarzan films ever made are definitely TARZAN'S GREATEST ADVENTURE (1958) and TARZAN THE MAGNIFICENT (1960) with Gordon Scott and are absolute musts for DVD releases...aren't these owned by Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment?
I enthusiastically remember seeing TARZAN AND THE VALLEY OF GOLD (1966) with Mike Henry on a doublebill with FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD (1966) both released by American-International Pictures during the Victoria Day Holiday weekend back in May 1966.
TARZAN AND THE MERMAIDS (1948) trailer (Click Here).
Let's keep this vital discussion thread going strong!
Jeff T.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Money for the next Tarzan collection is burning a hole in my pocket. Fans have been waiting a long time. The interest in the Gordon Scott films is especially intense. I would be surprised if Scott's films aren't more popular than Weismuller's with the younger fans. But I will buy a Lex Barker collection just as fast.

Charles H

Screenwriter
TARZAN's GREATEST ADVENTURE is hands-down the best of all the Tarzan franchise. Shot on location in AFRICA, it's got sex, violence, suspense, a great script, and a terrific supporting cast (including Sean Connery and Anthony Quayle as the villains). It's one of the reasons why Scott is considered the best of the Tarzans.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
The American Cinematheque in Santa Monica screened Tarzan's Greatest Adventure exactly one year ago. There was a kind of chuckle of thanks in the audience when Gordon Scott placed Cheetah on the pier and said "this time you stay home." The film looks so good and plays so well on the big screen today you'd think it was brand new.

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, I too consider Gordon Scott as the best screen Tarzan and because of that I feel Warners should release his films before the Lex Barker pictures. On top of that, "Tarzan's Greatest Adventure" featured two actors, Anthony Quayle and Sean Connery who went on to international fame in other films. Scott's first film "Tarzan's Hidden Jungle" in 1955 also featured Vera Miles who also became better known in later films including Alfred Hitchcock's "Physcho". I know the first three films are controlled by Warners because they were theatrically distributed by RKO and MGM but the last two were released by Paramount. I am not sure if it is true or not but I had heard Warners also has the home video rights to these film too.

-Claude

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I wonder if Warner Brothers owns the rights to the first three Gordon Scott Tarzan films and Paramount owns "Greatest Adventure?" They were Sol Lessor Productions and I am assuming the rights still are controlled by the distributing company. If so I feel that we will see the first three but Paramount controlling Tarzan's Greatest Adventure just make me sick.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
WHV said in a previous chat that they owned "all" of the classic Tarzans and planned on releasing them chronologically. Sales of the first two Weismuller sets were said to be good but I imagine that future releases are on hold pending an economic recovery.
I would buy them all.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Digressing to a bit of trivia here but since Claude mentioned Vera Miles as Gordon Scott's co-star in Tarzan's Hidden Jungle, it should also be noted that she was married to him from 1954 to 1959 and the birth of their child was the reason she had to bow out of Vertigo. Hitchcock never forgave her!

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Count me in. I have the two Weismuller sets and would easily go for more.

Frank Ha

Second Unit
Real Name
Frank Harrison
Over the last two weeks I've been watching volume 2 of the Tarzan Collection. Tonight I'll finish up the set when I watch Tarzan and the Mermaids. I thought I was through with Tarzan movies, but you guys have certainly peaked my interest in the Gordon Scott Tarzans. If and when they come out, I'll buy them.

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator
I have noticed all of the Lex Barker Tarzan films are now available at the new Warner Brothers Online order site.I never cared too much for Barker's Tarzan films but I like Gordon Scott's films especially TARZAN'S GREATEST ADVENTURE and TARZAN THE MAGNIFICENT. Because Warner Brothers own these as well as the the two he made for MGM and his first with RKO, is there a possibility they will be available very soon at the WB online site or on regular DVD?

-Claude

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Assuming no massive change in the market, it seems safe to say that the Lex Barker Tarzans signal that the Gordon Scott ones don't have a prayer of seeing a regular release. That being said, I fully expect them to eventually show up in the Archives.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks