Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

TARZAN Gordon Scott & Mike Henry

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 of 110 OFFLINE   Joe Kelly

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted January 14 2008 - 02:26 AM

What are the chances of the TARZAN movies starring Gordon Scott & Mike Henry making it to DVD? These 2 guys are the Tarzans I remember growing up as a boy in the 60's. Thanks, any info would be appreciated.

#2 of 110 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,961 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted January 14 2008 - 03:52 AM

ok going off of the different WB chats, i would say that your chances are very good , think the lex barker seris would be first followed by scott, then henry
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#3 of 110 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted January 14 2008 - 09:01 AM

I'm up for the Lex Barker collection since I can show it with La Dolce Vita.

It's important that the Tarzan films come out on DVD since like Charlie Chan and Mr. Moto, these are films that TV stations are hesitant to air, but I miss them from when they were Saturday afternoon staples.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#4 of 110 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted January 14 2008 - 01:55 PM

Mike Schleslinger, a consultant for Sony, said their decision to release JUNGLE JIM in 2008 was due in part to the big sales that Warner had with the Weismuller Tarzans. That is great news since it means we should certainly see a Lex Barker collection in 2008 followed by Scott/Henry at some point in the future. Henry only made 3 Tarzans so perhaps his collection would be grouped with the Jock Mahoney films.

Quote:

It's important that the Tarzan films come out on DVD since like Charlie Chan and Mr. Moto, these are films that TV stations are hesitant to air, but I miss them from when they were Saturday afternoon staples.

Agreed. Watching Saturday morning/afternoon TV in the 70s is what led to my love of classic cinema. Laurel & Hardy, Tarzan, East Side Kids, Chan, and Sherlock Holmes are the films/series that I recall watching the most.
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#5 of 110 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,961 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted January 14 2008 - 11:54 PM

Steve sounds like we had the same childhood or at least some of the same channel programining, and the beauty of this is with the releases i am getting a chance to do it all over again
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#6 of 110 OFFLINE   ScottFH

ScottFH

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted January 17 2008 - 03:06 AM

Count me in:

I'd snap up the Gordon Scott Tarzans in a minute!!

#7 of 110 OFFLINE   Joe Kelly

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted November 18 2008 - 05:14 AM

Any news about more Tarzan movies being released on DVD? The Gordon Scott movies were great, especially the last 2. And Mike Henry's were kind of like a cross between James Bond and Tarzan.

#8 of 110 OFFLINE   JeffT.

JeffT.

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted November 19 2008 - 05:39 AM

Posted Image

I hope that I am reading this discussion thread correctly!

Are the Columbia Pictures produced JUNGLE JIM movies really coming out on DVD in 2008? I'd settle for 2009!

I haven't seen any positive confirmation on this but I will certainly support this excellent proposition. I haven't seen this particular film series since the mid-1960s!

Watching Johnny Weismuller's final screen bow as the Jungle Lord in TARZAN AND THE MERMAIDS (1948) was truly a bittersweet experience but Mr. Weismuller acquited himself quite well in his final performance as the all-time best Tarzan and it would be great to continue on with further jungle adventures seeing Johnny Weismuller as the equally ruggedly heroic Jungle Jim.

Two of the very best Tarzan films ever made are definitely TARZAN'S GREATEST ADVENTURE (1958) and TARZAN THE MAGNIFICENT (1960) with Gordon Scott and are absolute musts for DVD releases...aren't these owned by Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment?

I enthusiastically remember seeing TARZAN AND THE VALLEY OF GOLD (1966) with Mike Henry on a doublebill with FRANKENSTEIN CONQUERS THE WORLD (1966) both released by American-International Pictures during the Victoria Day Holiday weekend back in May 1966.

TARZAN AND THE MERMAIDS (1948) trailer (Click Here).

Let's keep this vital discussion thread going strong!

Jeff T.

#9 of 110 OFFLINE   Joe Kelly

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator

• 96 posts

Posted February 18 2009 - 07:24 AM

Any TARZAN news for 2009?

#10 of 110 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted February 18 2009 - 07:25 PM

Money for the next Tarzan collection is burning a hole in my pocket. Fans have been waiting a long time. The interest in the Gordon Scott films is especially intense. I would be surprised if Scott's films aren't more popular than Weismuller's with the younger fans. But I will buy a Lex Barker collection just as fast.

#11 of 110 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted February 19 2009 - 02:15 AM

TARZAN's GREATEST ADVENTURE is hands-down the best of all the Tarzan franchise. Shot on location in AFRICA, it's got sex, violence, suspense, a great script, and a terrific supporting cast (including Sean Connery and Anthony Quayle as the villains). It's one of the reasons why Scott is considered the best of the Tarzans.
Charles Hoyt

#12 of 110 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted February 19 2009 - 06:15 AM

The American Cinematheque in Santa Monica screened Tarzan's Greatest Adventure exactly one year ago. There was a kind of chuckle of thanks in the audience when Gordon Scott placed Cheetah on the pier and said "this time you stay home." The film looks so good and plays so well on the big screen today you'd think it was brand new.

#13 of 110 OFFLINE   Claude S

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted February 19 2009 - 08:02 AM

Yes, I too consider Gordon Scott as the best screen Tarzan and because of that I feel Warners should release his films before the Lex Barker pictures. On top of that, "Tarzan's Greatest Adventure" featured two actors, Anthony Quayle and Sean Connery who went on to international fame in other films. Scott's first film "Tarzan's Hidden Jungle" in 1955 also featured Vera Miles who also became better known in later films including Alfred Hitchcock's "Physcho". I know the first three films are controlled by Warners because they were theatrically distributed by RKO and MGM but the last two were released by Paramount. I am not sure if it is true or not but I had heard Warners also has the home video rights to these film too.

-Claude

#14 of 110 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,856 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted February 19 2009 - 08:08 AM

I wonder if Warner Brothers owns the rights to the first three Gordon Scott Tarzan films and Paramount owns "Greatest Adventure?" They were Sol Lessor Productions and I am assuming the rights still are controlled by the distributing company. If so I feel that we will see the first three but Paramount controlling Tarzan's Greatest Adventure just make me sick.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#15 of 110 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted February 19 2009 - 01:23 PM

WHV said in a previous chat that they owned "all" of the classic Tarzans and planned on releasing them chronologically. Sales of the first two Weismuller sets were said to be good but I imagine that future releases are on hold pending an economic recovery.

I would buy them all.
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#16 of 110 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,312 posts

Posted February 19 2009 - 03:01 PM

Digressing to a bit of trivia here but since Claude mentioned Vera Miles as Gordon Scott's co-star in Tarzan's Hidden Jungle, it should also be noted that she was married to him from 1954 to 1959 and the birth of their child was the reason she had to bow out of Vertigo. Hitchcock never forgave her!

#17 of 110 OFFLINE   smithb

smithb

Screenwriter

• 1,536 posts

Posted February 20 2009 - 01:51 AM

Count me in. I have the two Weismuller sets and would easily go for more.

#18 of 110 OFFLINE   Frank Ha

Frank Ha

Second Unit

• 353 posts
  • LocationLand of mole, tlayudas and chapulines

Posted February 20 2009 - 03:19 AM

Over the last two weeks I've been watching volume 2 of the Tarzan Collection. Tonight I'll finish up the set when I watch Tarzan and the Mermaids. I thought I was through with Tarzan movies, but you guys have certainly peaked my interest in the Gordon Scott Tarzans. If and when they come out, I'll buy them.
"And in the end, the only thing you really own is... your story.  Just trying to live a good one" - The Drover 

#19 of 110 OFFLINE   Claude S

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator

• 56 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 06:49 AM

I have noticed all of the Lex Barker Tarzan films are now available at the new Warner Brothers Online order site.I never cared too much for Barker's Tarzan films but I like Gordon Scott's films especially TARZAN'S GREATEST ADVENTURE and TARZAN THE MAGNIFICENT. Because Warner Brothers own these as well as the the two he made for MGM and his first with RKO, is there a possibility they will be available very soon at the WB online site or on regular DVD?

-Claude

#20 of 110 OFFLINE   mdnitoil

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor

• 779 posts

Posted May 11 2009 - 09:51 AM

Assuming no massive change in the market, it seems safe to say that the Lex Barker Tarzans signal that the Gordon Scott ones don't have a prayer of seeing a regular release. That being said, I fully expect them to eventually show up in the Archives.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users