What's new

Toshiba Deploys New HD DVD Marketing Initiatives Based on Strong Fourth Quarter Unit (1 Viewer)

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
I suppose this means that many more are going to get suckered into buying a losing format. At this stage of the format war, I think it is time for forums, such as this one, to take a stand and support a single format. Regardless of the merits or demerits of each individual format, the way things stand at this stage, how can anyone in their true conscious recommend that a newbie buy into HD-DVD. In the last few days there have been several posts stating that the fat lady has not sung yet and that may be true to an extent, but the fact remains that there is no way the HD-DVD format can sustain itself with just the two studios supporting it. Thus, leaving personal biases and opinions aside, the fact is that Blu-Ray is here to stay and thus it is the only logical choice, for anyone new to the HD scene.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
That's probably true. That said, this puts the HD-A3's price in line with upconverting players, and it's probably a good one if my HD-A1 is any indication - so there's that, plus you can play HD-DVDs. As much as logic seems to favor BD, HD-DVD has been the little engine that could for the past year or so, and if they can get a lot of units into homes this way, and thus give Paramount and Universal good sales, they can force a stalemate or even get Warner to reconsider.

Would I recommend HD-DVD to a new buyer? Probably not. But those prices do make it pretty damn hard to leave them out of the conversation.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
The fire sale begins!! So this is what a last gasp sounds like. :)

I wonder if people realize that the HD-A3 is only 1080i?

This is only going to confuse the Wal-Mart shoppers even more now. I guess those who wondered if the Warner announcement would end the battle got their answer now. :frowning:

I do find it funny seeing how PR people spin things. I like how they claim to have 50% market share. Guess they forgot about the PS3 lol.

Looks like Toshiba is being stubborn.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
......Or these price drops COULD'VE been planned BEFORE the WHV announcement.

If the exclusive HD-DVD studios do not issue some stellar catalog releases to go along with these price drops, then this whole campaign will be pointless. If I don't see similar follow-ups from Universal/Paramount within the next two weeks, then it'll be over imho.

Cheap prices with no stellar software announcements is a dead strategy.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

I tend to agree with this. Hardware price cuts mean nothing to me, as I already have all the HD DVD equipment I plan to buy for the forseeable future. The only thing that could pursade me is content, be it in the form of increased content from existing HD DVD supporting studios or new studios.

If Paramount/Universal or a new HD DVD studio don't get Toshiba's back, so-to-speak, I'm left with no other impression than this is merely a timed HD DVD retreat.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Toshiba doesn't need to persuade you, though - you already have the equipment. This is about (hopefully) quickly increasing the install base to a number that's competitive with PS3's numbers and is thus too big to ignore. If they can do this, and then flex that muscle a little bit (I'm guessing we're going to see them push Beowulf hard), then maybe Warner suddenly finds an out clause, the other studios reconsider their support, and we're back to last month. At the very least, it makes staying HD-DVD exclusive a more palatable option for Universal and Paramount and gives them time.

I don't really think it's a plan with a large chance of success, but it's more or less their only chance at this point. They need to advertise heavily, though, pounding the message that they cost half of what BD does while (currently) doing more, and that's going to cost enough that if it doesn't work, someone at Toshiba loses his job.

It's probably too late, but with what's at stake, it's certainly worth a shot, at least in terms of seeing how well Beowulf and Bee Movie do (Universal doesn't seem to have many new releases coming in that time frame). If those don't move, then Toshiba will probably throw in the towel.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
More like their strategy is to capture people who are willing to spend upscaling money but not Blu-ray money for a player to hook to their HDTV. They can position it as a good upscaling player (which I suspect it is) and, as a bonus, you can also play HD-DVDs, with the hope that the seven people get for free will hook them.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Also, now that the "no more DVD-only releases for big non-catalog titles" strategy has been revealed, emphasizing that angle makes a little more sense.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'd call what's going on in that thread a rumor more than a revelation, myself. "Revealed" implies at least a press release.

Robin_B

Stunt Coordinator
Not a mention of the WB split in there.

Next step .... give them away. I see Toshiba execs standing in Wal-Mart "please have a free HD DVD player, please take one"

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Not good .... people would apply the "money saved" to the purchase of a BD-player.

:laugh:

Cees

FrancisP

Screenwriter
That makes a lot of sense. I would sell it as an upconverting dvd player with the ability to play hi-def discs. Certainly the A3 is in that price range and I believe that it could hold on as an upconverting player. It offers a cheaper alternative for many people than blu-ray and you can get blu-ray studio releases on dvd for upconversion. The average person is not going to be rushing to bluray anytime soon. I would also look at refining the technology even further. As for the fact that the A3 only does 1080i, the average person is not going to notice.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

According to several insiders, this press release from Toshiba was prepared in December *before* the WB announcement, which is (one reason) why there's no mention of it in the statement.

Toshiba seems to be rolling forward as if nothing has changed. Who knows, perhaps in their eyes, nothing has.

I agree that as long as a consumer knows what he/she is getting, it makes good sense to pick up one of these players for the purpose of an excellent upscaling DVD player, if not more (gives you the added benefit of being able to enjoy current HD DVD exclusives). Though many BD players provide as-good upscaling and many consumers already have upscaling DVD players... so the need to "upgrade" for upscaling alone may not be imperative for many consumers.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
End of HD-DVD or not this makes me happy. I can buy two more for my other TV's and take advantage of all the HD-DVD discs I have picked up in the last two weeks.
I have no problem taking the discs off the hands of the ones who started to sell as soon as WB did their press release. I have collected about 100 discs at less than DVD prices :)

Now if I can just figure out a way to start a panic driven sell off from the Blu camp! lol

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
You know.. I think we're giving the GP entirely too much credit. Hell, I was in Best Buy Saturday looking at Blu-ray players, and was speaking to one of the EMPLOYEES (who appeared to be in his late 20's, early 30's) about a Panasonic player, and I mentioned to him how it looked like Blu-ray was going to win. He looked at me a little puzzled, and I mentioned the Warner dropping and he shrugged his shoulders and said he didn't know that. So I don't think many people really have any idea. Toshiba moved a truckload of players with their aggressive pricing strategy around Thanksgiving, perhaps they think they can match that and think they can get to a point that they can't be ignored. I don't know if that's true. I was feeling that it was all Blu from here on out about a week ago, now I'm not so sure. I don't think the general public have a clue, and will buy what seems to have the best prices. And now software prices seem to be improving a little. I guess we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks