What's new

Does Anyone Have Experience with the DishNetwork Model 6000 Hi-Def Receiver??? (1 Viewer)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I am considering the purchase of this receiver to mate with my Mitsubishi 46-805 16:9 set.

Anyone have any experience with this unit? If so, are you pleased? What are its strengths, and drawbacks?

Thanks,

Rob

Mike Buckles

Agent
I've had the 6000 since February, and I love it. No major problems to report...once in a great while, it tells me my smart card is not authorized to receive a certain channel, but this has only happened twice in almost a year, and it cleared up after a few minutes. The HD is great! I dont have the optional VSB module to get OTA HD broadcasts, I hear the module has a fan that is noisy, maybe they've improved it since I last heard....but the unit itself is great!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I have the 6000 and the 8VSB module. I think they did do some sort of a software upgrade because I have not noticed the fan noise recently.

I don't know what's coming down the pike from Dish Network, so I can't say for sure if this is the best unit out there when they might be releasing something new in a couple of months. I've heard that the PVR (recording to hard disk) functionality is going to be improved in the next-gen Dish receivers, and that you will be able to watch one channel while recording another. Now whether or not that will support HD programming, I don't know. I doubt it.

But with respect to the actual 6000 unit and OTA tuner, I am very pleased. If you already have Dish Network, it's a no brainer...go for it!

- Steve

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Im with Steve. I have also have teh 6000 with OTA module. I really like the functionality as it combines the OTA stations with the Dishnetwork stations. No need to switch inputs and aspect ratios. The 6000 also has zoom functions for switching 4x3 to full screen.

Some will say that the interface is "old style" but I find it functional.

FWIW,

Gregg

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I've used the 6000 since day one (6/00) and love it. The OTA card was added 11/00. Combined, they provide a great service and Dish does upgrade the software for functionality.

Both pieces of hardware have been replaced by Dish with no hassel at all. Dish stands behind their product.

The 6000 feeds my Pro-610 via component cables. Does any one use the RGB out from the 6000 to their RPTV? After adding an X-box to my mix, I need more component inputs.

What are the issues for the RGB connection and can it be utilized for the 6000?

I am using both the vga and the component outputs of both my dish 6000 and my ExpressVu 6000. The vga goes to my front projector and the component goes to my rptv in another room.

Of course, you have to go into the setup menu and change the output from vga to component and back again to use both outputs. But this is a lot cheaper and easier than getting a second receiver.

To make the change, I have an s-video output going to each tv. By going into sd from the remote, I activate the s-video and can get into the setup menu. (This is because if the setup menu says component, you will not get any picture from vga and vica versa.)

Shelly

Roger_C

Stunt Coordinator
I'm going to have to check into this. I currently have DishNetwork, what all do I need? Just a new receiver? I don't want to go to the store knowign nothing and the DishNetwork website doesn't have much info.

Vic Goel

Auditioning
I don't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers, but I do have one minor complaint.

Functionally, it is a great piece of equipment. The only gripe I have is that the internal menus are slow and decidely less slick than those offered on the DirecTV boxes.

Nonetheless, Dish does have a better selection of HD content that DirecTV, and at the end of the day, that's probably what counts more--especially if you live in an area with limited OTA HD programming.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the great replies.

One more question. When you switch between OTA HD programming and the Satellite stations, is this "seamless", or is there a button or switch that has to be flipped to go back and forth between the two??

Thanks again!

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Rob,

After doing an auto scan of available OTA channels, they are programmed into the guide. No special switches or anything else.

Shelly,

Thanks for the RGB/VGA info.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Could anybody recommend a dealer, prefereably in the southern california area, who has this receiver available at a good price? I would also be willing to order via internet/mail order if the price is right.

I understand that Sears also carries DishNetwork receivers. What are the chances that they would have a model 6000 in stock?

Thanks again,

Rob

Hi Rob,
Here's a site that offers stand alone 6000 receiver for $449 plus small shipping charge for existing Dish subscribers. I have not ordered from them but the info was in my notes.
http://www.allsat.com/product.shtml
When I first got Dish Network, which included free installation and free basic receiver, my localinstaller upgraded my receiver for just a few hundred $$ more.
Shelly

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

A final thing to add. HD on Dish is more detailed than on Direct TV.

Although images on Dish look somewhat purple and those on Direct TV look Green.

Go figure. (This is on fully ISF calibrated TV's too.)

Regards

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Shelly:
Thanks for the great link. That is a GREAT price and shipping was only $8.95! I place my order today, since I doubt I would find a better price than that!
Thanks for your help! :emoji_thumbsup:

Roger_C

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a current DishNetwork subscriber. Can I just add the receiver or will I need another dish?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You have to have an 18" dish pointed at the 61.5 or 148 satellite position. Depending on the type of Dish500 you currently have, you will need switch(es) to combine everything.

-Robert

Roger_C

Stunt Coordinator
You have to have an 18" dish pointed at the 61.5 or 148 satellite position. Depending on the type of Dish500 you currently have, you will need switch(es) to combine everything.
I apologize, I'm currently a total dunce on this (but I'm trying).

How can I tell where my current dish is pointing?

And I believe the dish I have is a Dual-LNB(?). Is that what I need?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you have an 18" dish (Dish300) it is pointing at a satellite at 119. If you have the 20" Dish500, it is pointing at 110 and 119. If you aren't sure, the 500 is required to pick up all channels in the Top150 programming package or HBO Comedy in the HBO package.
The 500 has either two dual LNB's with probably one or two SW21 switches. Or it has a wider Twin LNB which is just two dual LNB's and an SW42 switch in a single housing.
Go here to make sure you have a clear view of the sky in the appropriate direction.
Find out what you have and how many receivers you will have we can direct you to the correct switch.
-Robert

Mike Buckles

Agent
When i got my package from Sears, I got the two dishes, the 6000 receiver, plus professional installation for about 600-700 dollars...i felt i got a good deal, and was sure glad I didn't have to install it...I wouldn't have had the faintest idea on what to do! Only thing I didn't like about the 6000...my receiver could only handle coax dolby d, and the 6000 has optical out on the dolby d...i had heard enough talk about out of sync audio, so I just went and bought a new reciever...an onkyo...really enjoy it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks