-

Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

Onkyo TX-SR605 Receiver?


This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 ronKi

ronKi

    Agent

  • 26 posts
  • Join Date: May 19 2006

Posted January 11 2008 - 07:11 AM

Thinking about buying Onkyo sr605 reciever. I have a toshiba a3 hd dvd player that does not have analog connections only hdmi. My hdtv is a panasonic that has 1080i component connections only. Can i process the Hd sound (dolby+,dolby truhd, dts hd) via hdmi connection and still send the video through the component cable from the hd player and still get the 1080i picture?

#2 of 16 JohnW

JohnW

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 53 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 22 1998

Posted January 13 2008 - 04:07 AM

Yes, that'll work. You'll just need to hook up both HDMI and component video cables from A3 to the receiver and assign the proper HDMI and component to the same input you select on the receiver (DVD, for example).

I have both the 605 and A3. While I do use hdmi to connect to my TV, I tried it out by disconnecting hdmi and using a component video cable to hook up to the TV. It worked.

Cheers. Posted Image

#3 of 16 Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

    Screenwriter

  • 2,714 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 11 1999

Posted January 13 2008 - 05:12 AM

It'll work... just don't get the 605, get at least the 705. Not much more (on the internet) and it has some good additional features, not fluff, and a better amp section.

Dan

#4 of 16 ronKi

ronKi

    Agent

  • 26 posts
  • Join Date: May 19 2006

Posted January 14 2008 - 04:42 AM

Thanks for you help. I did order the 605 ( 705 was over $200.00 more and does not fit in my budget right now).
Will we get the actual truhd and dtshd sound via Hdmi or is it downloaded to pcm? Kinda confused by the no hd player is capable of sending the audio format as of yet?

#5 of 16 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

    Studio Mogul

  • 37,682 posts
  • Join Date: Jun 30 1999

Posted January 14 2008 - 09:59 AM

Wasn't there rumblings of lip-sync issues with the 705 and 805, but not so with the 605?
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#6 of 16 troy evans

troy evans

    Screenwriter

  • 1,294 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 02 2005

Posted January 14 2008 - 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronKi
Thanks for you help. I did order the 605 ( 705 was over $200.00 more and does not fit in my budget right now).
Will we get the actual truhd and dtshd sound via Hdmi or is it downloaded to pcm? Kinda confused by the no hd player is capable of sending the audio format as of yet?
Yes you will. It'll be LPCM. When you send the signal bitsream over HDMI it'll read "multi channel" on the receiver. You may need to make some setting changes between the HD player and receiver, but, after that you'll love it. I have the 605 myself and consider it one of the best purchases I've made for my home theater system.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#7 of 16 ronKi

ronKi

    Agent

  • 26 posts
  • Join Date: May 19 2006

Posted January 15 2008 - 01:35 AM

Thanks for the response. I'm really looking forward to connecting and playing my hd disc's to their full potential sound wise.Posted Image
Ron

#8 of 16 Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

    Lead Actor

  • 6,529 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 19 2002

Posted January 15 2008 - 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronKi
Thanks for you help. I did order the 605 ( 705 was over $200.00 more and does not fit in my budget right now).
Will we get the actual truhd and dtshd sound via Hdmi or is it downloaded to pcm? Kinda confused by the no hd player is capable of sending the audio format as of yet?

Nothing is "downloaded to pcm". Multichannel PCM is the final product in the decoding of TrueHD/DD+. There is nothing inferior or "downconverted" about PCM, it is the standard uncompressed audio format used in all receivers/players. In your particular case (A3/605 combo), the decoding of TrueHD/DD+ will take place in the player and the 5.1 PCM is sent to the 605. In the case of the XA2/A35 players, you also have the option of sending the raw, undecoded TrueHD/DD+/DTS-HD to the Onkyo and have the Onkyo decode the audio to PCM.

Please note that in the above that unlike the Dolby HD audio formats, DTS-HD/MA audio cannot be decoded by any players at this time. Instead, the player decodes the standard DTS "core" and sends that instead. The only way to get full DTS-HD/MA is to use the XA2/A35 to send it to the receiver for decoding. But also note there are very, very few domestic HD DVD's that use DTS-HD, it is mostly used on imports.

#9 of 16 Ensign Eddie

Ensign Eddie

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 163 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 02 2006

Posted January 15 2008 - 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW
Yes, that'll work. You'll just need to hook up both HDMI and component video cables from A3 to the receiver and assign the proper HDMI and component to the same input you select on the receiver (DVD, for example).

I have both the 605 and A3. While I do use hdmi to connect to my TV, I tried it out by disconnecting hdmi and using a component video cable to hook up to the TV. It worked.

Cheers. Posted Image

Can component video handle the HDMI handshake? I know that when I play CDs on my A2 through the 705 (via HDMI) I have to have the TV on long enough for the handshake to be made. Otherwise, the sound pops in and out every few seconds. I DO NOT know if HD soundtracks require this, but I would be surprised if they didn't. Hopefully someone that knows for sure can chime in here.

#10 of 16 Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie

    Lead Actor

  • 6,529 posts
  • Join Date: Aug 19 2002

Posted January 15 2008 - 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Eddie
Can component video handle the HDMI handshake? I know that when I play CDs on my A2 through the 705 (via HDMI) I have to have the TV on long enough for the handshake to be made. Otherwise, the sound pops in and out every few seconds. I DO NOT know if HD soundtracks require this, but I would be surprised if they didn't. Hopefully someone that knows for sure can chime in here.

Component doesn't do any handshaking. If the receiver is only connected to the player via HDMI, and not the TV, the only handshaking will be between the receiver and the player. If would be as if the TV is not even there as far as HDMI is concerned.

#11 of 16 Ensign Eddie

Ensign Eddie

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 163 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 02 2006

Posted January 15 2008 - 03:59 AM

Ah, are you saying that, since a TV isn't connected (not just turned off) via HDMI to the receiver, that the receiver doesn't require the video handshake? That makes a certain amount of sense.

I didn't want to unduly scare anyone. I truly wasn't sure and wanted to make sure the OP had all the information.

EDIT: Sorry, Jeff. I just re-read your response and realized that this IS what you said. Sorry, I'm a bit thick this morning.

#12 of 16 Bopicasso

Bopicasso

    Auditioning

  • 13 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 05 2008

Posted January 15 2008 - 10:34 AM

I bought a onk 605 two weeks ago and Im selling it. There is definately some lipsinging going on with video and I dont like how it sounds when listening to music. The speakers are polk rti6 and polk csi3. It almost sounds like a slight crackle sound at high volumes. I cant help but pay attention to it so I dont listen to music until I get my new HK avr 347.

#13 of 16 troy evans

troy evans

    Screenwriter

  • 1,294 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 02 2005

Posted January 15 2008 - 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bopicasso
I bought a onk 605 two weeks ago and Im selling it. There is definately some lipsinging going on with video and I dont like how it sounds when listening to music. The speakers are polk rti6 and polk csi3. It almost sounds like a slight crackle sound at high volumes. I cant help but pay attention to it so I dont listen to music until I get my new HK avr 347.
Where did you buy this 2 weeks ago that you can't just return it if there's a problem or you just don't care for it? Most stores and online retailers will take it back and refund or replace or substitute for a different receiver if you so choose. Are you getting full or better value than you paid by selling it? If not I would suggest taking it back. Get back your money.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#14 of 16 Rogozhin

Rogozhin

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 142 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 05 2003

Posted January 15 2008 - 06:07 PM

It doesn't have preamp-outs.

Rogo
"Those who long for exaltation look upwards, but I look downwards for I am the exalted."

Thus Spake Zarathustra

#15 of 16 Bopicasso

Bopicasso

    Auditioning

  • 13 posts
  • Join Date: Jan 05 2008

Posted January 15 2008 - 11:51 PM

I bought it off amazon for 379.99. There return policy is 80% if opened and I will have to pay for shipping. I feel that I am better off selling it. Plus I already purchased a new avr from harmanaudio on ebay. A 347 refurb for 381. So if I could get close to what I paid out of the onk I would consider it ok. I plan on putting it on ebay and craigslist. I want to sell it for around 370-380 because it is still brand new.

#16 of 16 troy evans

troy evans

    Screenwriter

  • 1,294 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 02 2005

Posted January 16 2008 - 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bopicasso
I bought it off amazon for 379.99. There return policy is 80% if opened and I will have to pay for shipping. I feel that I am better off selling it. Plus I already purchased a new avr from harmanaudio on ebay. A 347 refurb for 381. So if I could get close to what I paid out of the onk I would consider it ok. I plan on putting it on ebay and craigslist. I want to sell it for around 370-380 because it is still brand new.
You should have no problem selling it. People love bargains on the internet.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".


Back to Receivers/Separates/Amps



Forum Nav Content I Follow