What's new

Anyone else interested in the Integra DTC 9.8 Pre/Pro? (1 Viewer)

ericks

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Erick
I have one:) . It took nearly three months to get from the time I ordered it. I'm currently only using it in 2 channel mode though as I'm still shopping for a projector.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Wow, 3 months is a long time to wait for a new toy! ;)

Cool cuz that is one of things I most concerned with (analog 2-channel from an external DAC). How do you like it so far???

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Wow, look at all those logos at the bottom of that front panel!

It's been so many years since I've been in the market, do all those gizmos really make anything sound better?

My old DTR7 is still going strong and sounding fantastic for stereo and straight 5.1 sound.

ericks

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Erick

Sound quality is excellent in 2 channel, though I'm not using analog connections. My CD player has an optical out, so I'm using that to send signal to the 9.8.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Well, basically I'm currently using my CD player as a transport to send the signal digitally out to an outboard DAC that upsamples to 192kHz then running that analog L/R out to my Rotel. It sounds phenomenal with quality recordings.

Steve Blair

Second Unit
Just got the call after only 12 days!!! I have to drive 3 hours there and back to pick it up tonight so I'll post some impressions tomorrow. WOOHOO! :)

Steve Blair

Second Unit
Ok, I'm back and very tired. I drove the 3 hours and picked it up. I hooked it up around two hours ago but haven't even run Audyssey yet. BUT.... HOLY ****!!! :) DTS-HD master audio overlayed w/dolby pro logic IIx is phenomenal! I threw in Shoot Em Up, Alien vs Predator and a few others and it's a whole other ballgame. I've used an Outlaw 990 prepro for the last 2 years and this is just another league. I'll run Audyssey tomorrow and add some more comments but so far I'm in love :)

The sound field, imaging and just about every other aspect of sound is blowing me away and I'm just grinning from ear to ear. More to come tomorrow as I'm exhausted...

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Well it must be our lucky days...my dealer called me up today and told me he pulled some strings and got mine in early!!! I picked it up at lunch and have only had time to unpack it. WOW, this thing is menacing looking. It looks a lot better in person than the pictures I have seen. It is so huge that it looks like it's gonna eat my Rotel's lunch!!!

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
What is the best price that anyone has gotten on one of these yet? Also what amps are you guys using with this?

Thanks.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Sanjay,

I paid $1600. I must admit that I didn't even bother to talk the guy down at all. I'm all for a deal, but I've gotten so many good deals on other gear over the years, that I'm OK with paying the price every once in a while. Plus, I consider this piece of gear a damn good deal in and of itself anyway.

I'll be using a 150W x 2 Odyssey Stratos for the fronts and 5 Marantz MA500's monoblocks for the remaining channels.

Steve Blair

Second Unit
I haggled for 1500.00 and am using the Outlaw 7125 7.1 channel amplifier. This combo is killer :) I ran audyssey today and the sound got much better than it already was yesterday. I am officially in love with DTS HD master audio, overlayed with dolby pro logic IIx and audyssey enabled. It's a good time to be a movie lover ;)

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Thanks for the replies. I currently have the Denon 5803 A/V Receiver which has 7 channels of 180 watts each and a set of 7.1 analog inputs. I was thinking of getting the Integra as the pre/pro and using the Denon 5803 as a power amp only. Any thoughts on this?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Hmm, I've heard of using a receiver as a pre/pro then running the pre-outs to outboard amplification, but I've never heard the opposite. Is that even possible???

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Technically there is no reason why it would not work, after all it is no different than 5.1 analog outputs from a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD/DVD player.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I used to have the great grandfather of the receiver discussed in this thread, the Onkyo Integra 919, one of the first THX certified receivers. It had jumpers connecting the preamp-out and poweramp-in for all five channels. These could be used to accomodate a 5 channel THX EQ unit, or theoretically you could just use the 5 amps in the 919 with a different pre/pro if you wanted!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks