-

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone else interested in the Integra DTC 9.8 Pre/Pro?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
123 replies to this topic

#1 of 124 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 09 2008 - 04:09 PM

In researching a replacement for my Rotel RSP-1066 pre/pro, I stumbled upon this beauty for $1600 MSRP. The feature set looks like the real deal and I've read many positive things about it.

Features/Specs:

Integra Delivers Powerful DTV-9.8 Preamplifier/Processor

Integra Home Theater

Integra DTC-9.8 Three-Zone Preamplifier/Processor Introduced — Audioholics Home Theater Reviews and News

Pictures:

Front - http://www.gspr.com/...8_front_300.jpg

Back - http://www.gspr.com/...98_rear_300.jpg

Reviews:

SoundStageAV.com Archives - Review: Integra DTC-9.8 Audio/Video Processor

Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

UltimateAVmag.com: Onkyo Professional PR-SC885 Preamp/Processor

Home Theater: Integra DTC-9.8 A/V Processor

Integra DTC 9.8 AV Preamp/Processor*-*AVRev.com

Manual:

http://63.148.251.13.....8_En_0604.pdf
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#2 of 124 OFFLINE   Steve Blair

Steve Blair

Second Unit

• 380 posts

Posted January 11 2008 - 02:36 PM

I ordered it due to the stellar reviews and should have it and the end of the month. Tick tock.... Posted Image

#3 of 124 OFFLINE   ericks

ericks

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted January 12 2008 - 12:45 AM

I have onePosted Image . It took nearly three months to get from the time I ordered it. I'm currently only using it in 2 channel mode though as I'm still shopping for a projector.

#4 of 124 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 14 2008 - 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Blair
I ordered it due to the stellar reviews and should have it and the end of the month. Tick tock.... Posted Image

Yep, same here! Posted Image My dealer's saying at least a month though. Posted Image
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#5 of 124 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 14 2008 - 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericks
I have onePosted Image . It took nearly three months to get from the time I ordered it. I'm currently only using it in 2 channel mode though as I'm still shopping for a projector.

Wow, 3 months is a long time to wait for a new toy! Posted Image

Cool cuz that is one of things I most concerned with (analog 2-channel from an external DAC). How do you like it so far???

#6 of 124 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted January 14 2008 - 08:12 AM

Wow, look at all those logos at the bottom of that front panel!

It's been so many years since I've been in the market, do all those gizmos really make anything sound better?

My old DTR7 is still going strong and sounding fantastic for stereo and straight 5.1 sound.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#7 of 124 OFFLINE   ericks

ericks

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted January 15 2008 - 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reda
Wow, 3 months is a long time to wait for a new toy! Posted Image

Cool cuz that is one of things I most concerned with (analog 2-channel from an external DAC). How do you like it so far???

Sound quality is excellent in 2 channel, though I'm not using analog connections. My CD player has an optical out, so I'm using that to send signal to the 9.8.

#8 of 124 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 15 2008 - 02:51 AM

Quote:
Sound quality is excellent in 2 channel, though I'm not using analog connections. My CD player has an optical out, so I'm using that to send signal to the 9.8.

Well, basically I'm currently using my CD player as a transport to send the signal digitally out to an outboard DAC that upsamples to 192kHz then running that analog L/R out to my Rotel. It sounds phenomenal with quality recordings.

#9 of 124 OFFLINE   Steve Blair

Steve Blair

Second Unit

• 380 posts

Posted January 15 2008 - 07:29 AM

Just got the call after only 12 days!!! I have to drive 3 hours there and back to pick it up tonight so I'll post some impressions tomorrow. WOOHOO! Posted Image

#10 of 124 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 15 2008 - 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Blair
Just got the call after only 12 days!!! I have to drive 3 hours there and back to pick it up tonight so I'll post some impressions tomorrow. WOOHOO! Posted Image

So very envious, but drive safe and hook us up with a review.

#11 of 124 OFFLINE   Steve Blair

Steve Blair

Second Unit

• 380 posts

Posted January 15 2008 - 03:54 PM

Ok, I'm back and very tired. I drove the 3 hours and picked it up. I hooked it up around two hours ago but haven't even run Audyssey yet. BUT.... HOLY ****!!! Posted Image DTS-HD master audio overlayed w/dolby pro logic IIx is phenomenal! I threw in Shoot Em Up, Alien vs Predator and a few others and it's a whole other ballgame. I've used an Outlaw 990 prepro for the last 2 years and this is just another league. I'll run Audyssey tomorrow and add some more comments but so far I'm in love Posted Image

The sound field, imaging and just about every other aspect of sound is blowing me away and I'm just grinning from ear to ear. More to come tomorrow as I'm exhausted...

#12 of 124 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 09:24 AM

Well it must be our lucky days...my dealer called me up today and told me he pulled some strings and got mine in early!!! I picked it up at lunch and have only had time to unpack it. WOW, this thing is menacing looking. It looks a lot better in person than the pictures I have seen. It is so huge that it looks like it's gonna eat my Rotel's lunch!!!

#13 of 124 OFFLINE   Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor

• 754 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 10:00 AM

What is the best price that anyone has gotten on one of these yet? Also what amps are you guys using with this?

Thanks.
Sanjay
Member since July - August 1997

#14 of 124 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjay Gupta
What is the best price that anyone has gotten on one of these yet? Also what amps are you guys using with this?

Thanks.

Sanjay,

I paid $1600. I must admit that I didn't even bother to talk the guy down at all. I'm all for a deal, but I've gotten so many good deals on other gear over the years, that I'm OK with paying the price every once in a while. Plus, I consider this piece of gear a damn good deal in and of itself anyway.

I'll be using a 150W x 2 Odyssey Stratos for the fronts and 5 Marantz MA500's monoblocks for the remaining channels.

#15 of 124 OFFLINE   Steve Blair

Steve Blair

Second Unit

• 380 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 12:32 PM

I haggled for 1500.00 and am using the Outlaw 7125 7.1 channel amplifier. This combo is killer Posted Image I ran audyssey today and the sound got much better than it already was yesterday. I am officially in love with DTS HD master audio, overlayed with dolby pro logic IIx and audyssey enabled. It's a good time to be a movie lover Posted Image

#16 of 124 OFFLINE   Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor

• 754 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for the replies. I currently have the Denon 5803 A/V Receiver which has 7 channels of 180 watts each and a set of 7.1 analog inputs. I was thinking of getting the Integra as the pre/pro and using the Denon 5803 as a power amp only. Any thoughts on this?
Sanjay

#17 of 124 OFFLINE   ericks

ericks

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted January 17 2008 - 12:33 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

I got mine for $1350.

#18 of 124 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 17 2008 - 02:34 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I currently have the Denon 5803 A/V Receiver which has 7 channels of 180 watts each and a set of 7.1 analog inputs. I was thinking of getting the Integra as the pre/pro and using the Denon 5803 as a power amp only. Any thoughts on this?

Hmm, I've heard of using a receiver as a pre/pro then running the pre-outs to outboard amplification, but I've never heard the opposite. Is that even possible???

#19 of 124 OFFLINE   Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor

• 754 posts

Posted January 17 2008 - 04:45 AM

Quote:
I got mine for $1350.
Where did you buy it from?

Quote:
Hmm, I've heard of using a receiver as a pre/pro then running the pre-outs to outboard amplification, but I've never heard the opposite. Is that even possible???
Technically there is no reason why it would not work, after all it is no different than 5.1 analog outputs from a Blu-Ray/HD-DVD/DVD player.
Sanjay

#20 of 124 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted January 17 2008 - 05:19 AM

Quote:
I used to have the great grandfather of the receiver discussed in this thread, the Onkyo Integra 919, one of the first THX certified receivers. It had jumpers connecting the preamp-out and poweramp-in for all five channels. These could be used to accomodate a 5 channel THX EQ unit, or theoretically you could just use the 5 amps in the 919 with a different pre/pro if you wanted!
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

Back to Receivers/Separates/Amps

Forum Nav Content I Follow