What's new

Cinema Classics: Screwball Comedies on APRIL (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Prepare youself for wonderful news.
I just read in digital bits that Universal has announced the DVD release of a series of Universal Cinema Classics: Screwball Comedies titles on 4/22 (SRP $14.98 each), including:

Easy Living,
The Major and the Minor,
Midnight
She Done Him Wrong.

How is that??????????
Wowwww April will be THE MONTH for classic releases!!!

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Fantastic news! Obviously Universal has never seen SHE DONE HIM WRONG, but I don't care if they think it's a screwball comedy as long as they're releasing it :)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Well I don't think ANY of them really qualify as screwball, but who cares? i cant BELIEVE we're finally gonna get MIDNIGHT.....one of my all time favorites!!! Woohoo!!

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
Wow! That's tremendous!!!! Getting all 4 of course, but especially looking forward to The Major and the Minor and Easy Living. :) :) :)

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Finally, The Major and the Minor. I've been waiting so long for this one. Now only if Tender Comrade will get released.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
I'd rather see these titles released as part of some collection, rather than individually. Major and Minor in a Billy Wilder collection; Midnight in a Claudette Colbert collection; She Done Him Wrong in another Mae West collection; Easy Living in a Jean Arthur, or perhaps in a "written by Preston Sturges" collection. Has Universal given up releasing 5 film collections?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
WOW! Best news I've heard all week! Can't wait for Midnight. I became a big fan of Barrymore thru his work here. His excesses were clearly catching up with him by this point, but his joie de vive still shined thru even if his technique had been blunted.

Between this and Tammy in February, I'm gonna be able to scratch two big titles off my rapidly dwindling wish-list.
Hold Back The Dawn is going to be the tough one to get- which is why I was really hoping they would have gone with a Billy Wilder written theme set.
Oh well, no biggie. Midnight for me is a huge score. I'm happy :D

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The Major & the Minor! YES! This is by far the best announcement all year, and might still be so if this were December. :)

Charles H

Screenwriter
This collection should really find a place for the wonderful REMEMBER THE NIGHT with one of Sturges' best scripts. It's a great Christmas movie also!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Finally, some more Billy Wilder. I've been holding on to my Midnight tape forever. Hopefully, I can still unload it on Ebay as it's been going for pretty good coin.

I would rather have had a Billy Wilder boxset including his screenwriting years and his directing years, but I'll take what I can get from Universal.

Now bring on "Bluebeard's Eighth Wife", "Five Graves to Cairo", & "A Foreign Affair"

Danny Burk

Second Unit

You can get all of these in R2 versions if the 4% speedup doesn't bother you. Lucky for me, I don't notice it, so I've picked up all of these plus other good titles not available in R1, such as IF I HAD A MILLION, '35 MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION, ANGEL, DISHONORED, and many others.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Great! An early Cary Grant movie in that bunch, too. Can't wait to get this box.

gunthertoody

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Universal's next wave of Cinema Classics is going to be Screwball Comedies due out on April 22nd. The titles are: The Major and the Minor (1942), She Done Him Wrong (1933), Easy Living (1937) and Midnight (1939). I've seen the first three and they couldn't have done much better. The Major and the minor is one of my favorites and I've been waiting for it for a while. Easy Living is classic Jean Arthur and She Done Him Wrong shows Mae West at her finest. Classicflix.com has the artwork.

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
This is the best news I've had all week. I can finally take The Major and the Minor off my list. I didn't see this coming at all.

I haven't seen Easy Living or Midnight but I might just buy those as well because I hear they are really good.

All I can say is I am going to be broke in April!

As for the cover art I really don't like Major and Minor but the rest are ok!

Sammy-G

Stunt Coordinator
This is fantastic news...and of COURSE it comes just weeks after I finally broke down and bought the R2 Major and the Minor...oh well. I'll be buying all 4 of these. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks