Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Fox's Bette Davis: Centenary Celebration Collection on April

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 478 posts

Posted January 09 2008 - 09:46 AM

More Bette Davis titles to celebrate her Centenary,as listed on Dvd Empire.
Fox Collection, due Apri 8th, contais the following titles:

The Nanny
Virgin Queen
Phone Call From A Stranger
Hush...Hush Sweet Charlotte
All About Eve

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,224 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted January 09 2008 - 09:57 AM

NICE! Can't wait! Two Bette sets in one month--can't wait!

Andy

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   BethHarrison

BethHarrison

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted January 09 2008 - 11:50 AM

I hope they are available seperately as I don't want to have to double dip for All About Eve and "Charlotte'

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,224 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted January 09 2008 - 11:55 AM

They are available individually...but it will probably be cheaper to buy the box and sell off the ones you already have.

Andy

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,909 posts

Posted January 10 2008 - 03:26 AM

Now wait- The Nanny has never been on DVD before, unlike some of the others. This is one title I'm glad to see released as it's possibly her best performance after What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?. Unlike those William Castle exploitation pieces Crawford did, Bette got to do a psychological thriller via Hammer Studios- here she skillfully underplays her character, revealing many layers as the film goes on.
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   Richard M S

Richard M S

Supporting Actor

• 633 posts

Posted January 10 2008 - 03:39 AM

The Nanny
Virgin Queen
Phone Call From A Stranger

Those are the titles I will be buying, and I am very much looking forward to them, especially The Nanny.

I saw the Virgin Queen years ago and while it was not up to the level of The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, (IMO) it was entertaining enough. I wonder if Joan Collins will participate either via an interview or a commentary track.

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   Conrad_SSS

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted January 10 2008 - 08:35 AM

This isn't a DOUBLE DIP for ALL ABOUT EVE, it's a TRIPLE DIP!
The previous DVDs were in '99 and '03

ugh! Posted Image

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted January 10 2008 - 10:14 AM

Apparently 'All About Eve' will now be a 2-disc set and a poster at the Criterion Forum says: 'Fox will be releasing THE NANNY on April 8 as part of a Bette Davis promotion. Currently the only extras listed are: trailer, interactive pressbook gallery, poster gallery, lobby card gallery and still gallery; however, Alain Silver and James Ursini recorded a commentary for this a while back, so the disc should include that.

Also coming as part of the same promotion is a new edition of HUSH, HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE with a new "making of" featurette, an interview with Bruce Dern, a vintage featurette and several galleries (posters, lobby cards, stills, etc.) Curiously, Glenn Erickson's commentary from the original release is not listed'

Alain Silver has also done a commentary with James Ursini for 'The Virgin Queen' as well.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted January 10 2008 - 11:58 AM

Great. I'll buy this set and give All About Eve and Sweet Charlotte to my mother.
Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,315 posts

Posted January 10 2008 - 08:00 PM

Richard, I seriously doubt Joan Collins will participate in any way whatsoever on a DVD of The Virgin Queen. I mean she didn't even participate in the recent box set devoted to HER!

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,934 posts

Posted January 10 2008 - 09:48 PM

Interesting sidenote.

As many know, I spent some time working for Pioneer Laserdisc doing Pioneer special editons and some paramount titles.
Before then, I had come to california back in 1985 to work on some film restorations with Tom Bodley, then head of Post for Goldwyn.
Tom told me that Bette Davis was a good friend of his and that I would probably spend some time with here, which turned out to be true.
ONe Friday afternoon, Bette Arrived at toms house, tom had called to say he would arrive late from work, so I was on my own to entertain Miss D (as everyone called her).
I asked her if that, when here career was at its height, was there any other actress she admired that could do things she could not do.
Bette didn't hesitate, and said, " Yes. Jean Simmons!!"
Tom had a large tape collection in a side room and miss D knew where all the Jean Simmons taped were.
She pulled out Young bess from 1953, starring miss simmons and Deborah Kerr. Bette went right for a particular scene and said,
"Look at that. Look at what she's doing. I could never do that"
I am also a fan of Jean simmons and Miss D and I spent some talkking talking about here films. Bette knew all the major ones andmost of the minor ones too.
She liked Jeans performance as Elizabeth the first, back in 1953, that it made bEtte want to play Elizabeth again. So bette did The Virgin Queen.
This story from Miss D herself.

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted January 10 2008 - 09:55 PM

Great story Joe; thanks.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,909 posts

Posted January 11 2008 - 12:56 AM

Will the new version of Charlotte include all of the existing Joan Crawford photos in her role as 'Miriam' before she left the project? Of course it would be a miracle if they found any of her actual film footage!
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#14 of 24 OFFLINE   Gunther Toody

Gunther Toody

Extra

• 18 posts

Posted January 13 2008 - 02:19 AM

Great! Looking forward to it!

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig

Second Unit

• 440 posts
  • LocationWeehawken, NJ

Posted January 14 2008 - 11:56 PM

"The Nanny" - at last!

"Welcome home, Master Joey!"

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   Alejandro

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted January 22 2008 - 09:27 PM

The digital Bits says All about Eve is a NEW 2 disc special edition. Any news about the additions to the previous edition?
Fasten your seatbelts!

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   BethHarrison

BethHarrison

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted January 22 2008 - 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alejandro
The digital Bits says All about Eve is a NEW 2 disc special edition. Any news about the additions to the previous edition?

All About Eve would have to be my favourite film. So if it is getting two disc treatment, then depending on the extras I will most likely double dip

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,630 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted January 23 2008 - 02:57 AM

The more I read this thread, the more it sounds like buying the box would be the best idea especially in regard to ALL ABOUT EVE which I hadn't updated in my collection from the original release.

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   Junior_V

Junior_V

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted January 30 2008 - 10:56 PM

Cover Art & Specs:
Classicflix.com : - Read Articles

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted January 30 2008 - 11:17 PM

Looks great; Fantastic artwork!!

The promo art of Bette on The Virgin Queen looks exactly the same as her character in Elizabeth & Essex.