Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Convection Oven?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted January 09 2008 - 04:23 AM

My mother wants to buy a small convection oven, one of those countertop varieties and not too expensive. Maybe $70 tops. I know nothing about these and don't know a good one from a bad one. Anyone with experience with small convection ovens and can recommend a model?
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted January 09 2008 - 07:00 AM

Alan,
I don't think this helps but we got a Cuisinart for Christmas last year and love it. Cuisinart being a nicer brand will cost you more. I don't know about the cheaper brands but with small appliances I've always felt you got what you paid for.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

• 1,612 posts

Posted January 10 2008 - 12:27 AM

My wife just checked a bunch of "Cook's" magazines from the library, edited by Christopher Kimball of "America's Test Kitchen", shown locally on PBS. Good show, seems unbiased, and the mag reviews many products (think Consumer Reports for kitchen stuff).

June 07 issue reviews "toaster/convection" ovens and most disappointed the review team. Recommended model was the $199.99 Krups 6 Slice Digital, model FBC412. Only complaint was the baking pan's non-stick peeled in a few places. Toaster and Convection performance was the best.

Recommended w/reservations: $98.95 Oster Counterforms Digital (Model 6292) and the $ 179.00 Cuisinart, Model TOB-175BC

5 models were not recommended such as Hamilton Beach model 31180, De'Longhi model EO1258, Rival model C0606, Black&Decker model CTO 100, and the Toastmaster COV760B.

Try tracking the article at Cook's Illustrated-Recipe Resource

Good Luck

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,821 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted January 10 2008 - 03:35 AM

I guess you just need to have the courage of your convections.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Marianne

Marianne

Supporting Actor

• 855 posts

Posted January 10 2008 - 04:04 AM

We just bought A Black and Decker CTO6160 at WalMart for $54.88. We needed a new toaster oven and had a WalMart gift card. It has 13 reviews (all positive) on the website.

Black & Decker Countertop Convection Oven - Wal-Mart

We haven't had it long enough to review it.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor

• 605 posts

Posted January 11 2008 - 03:04 AM

We have a microwave that mounts over our oven. It died a couple years ago so we replaced it with one that is also a convection oven. This option is a lot more than $70 though. We didn't necessarily need a convection oven, but it is nice to have two ovens available. It's a big help when we do holiday dinners.