-

Photo
- - - - -

Receiver suggestions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Gary Shipley

Gary Shipley

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted January 09 2008 - 02:30 AM

I'm not having any luck in the speaker section so I thought I'd try here. A friend of mine is looking for a new receiver to match up to his new JBL L series speakers. He has the L-890's. He prefers a warm sound and his budget is around $1000. Any suggestions?
Gary Shipley

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Gary Shipley

Gary Shipley

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted January 11 2008 - 02:56 AM

Nevermind. Obviously, nobody hears uses JBL anymore or I would have gotten some kind of response, so I'll look elsewhere for help.
Gary Shipley

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland

Screenwriter

• 2,059 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted January 11 2008 - 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Shipley
I'm not having any luck in the speaker section so I thought I'd try here. A friend of mine is looking for a new receiver to match up to his new JBL L series speakers. He has the L-890's. He prefers a warm sound and his budget is around $1000. Any suggestions?
There are cheaper receivers out there, but I am absolutely in love with my Yamaha HTR-6090. I have it paired with some older JBL L-series towers, and it works wonderfully. I have my Wii and HD Cable Box in through the receiver using component video and optical audio, along with a BD and HD-DVD player through HDMI, and an optional iPod dock. Sound can shake walls when cranked up without distorting at all. At low volumes it's still clean and clear.

Sure the Onkyo 705 can do the same for a little less money, but I have had the 6090 for a year and love it more every day.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Gary Shipley

Gary Shipley

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted January 14 2008 - 12:47 AM

Thanks for the info Justin. I thought the Yamaha or possibly Denon would be a good choice for the JBL's, I just wanted a 2nd opinion. Thanks again!
Gary Shipley

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   MaxL

MaxL

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted January 14 2008 - 03:16 PM

i think the problem is that you are asking for something that doesn't really exist. there isn't a modern sub-$1000 receiver or amp (probably at twice the price too) that will make those speakers sound warm.

if sound is color, speakers make the colors and amps make them more or less visible. the speaker controls the the quality of sound and the amp makes it louder. short of switching speakers, an equalizer or tone controls will do more to create the warm sound he is looking for than any brand of amp/ avr.

there's nothing wrong with the jbl's they're just not warm and no avr is going to make them be warm.
HT: Marantz SR8000, PSB Alpha B fronts, Alpha C center, CSW Newton S200 surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo Sub, Marantz DVD, Sony CRT TV

Stereos include vintage Sony receivers/amps into vintage AR and KEF speakers.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Gary Shipley

Gary Shipley

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted January 15 2008 - 01:54 AM

Thanks Max ,but I already got the answer I wanted.
Gary Shipley