Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Does the PS3 scratches discs?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Blips

Blips

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 03:03 PM

*Does the PS3 scratch discs? With Warner Brothers move to Blu Ray I'm finally considering buying a player. The PS3 seems like my best option considering there's a few games on there I currently want and many upcoming, but I'm not thrilled about the PS3 not having a tray drive and was worried about discs getting scratched. Is anyone having any such problems with the front loading drive? I'm kind of OCD when it come to that kind of thing.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 04:00 PM

With the scratch resistant coating, it's a non issue.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 09 2008 - 03:13 AM

I am too, but have been impressed with it so far...no problems with scratches although as the previous poster pointed out, there's a resistant coating on it.
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 09 2008 - 03:13 AM

Double post
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,887 posts

Posted January 09 2008 - 04:54 AM

I used to be worried about this kind of disc loading mechanism too, but not anymore. Haven't noticed any problems w/ our car's CD player for instance -- and they pretty much all use this type. Yeah, it *looks* like it'd be less safe than the old tray mechanism, but I've had the old tray mechanism leave a scuff ring on a couple CDs in the past too just from how a disc could still be spinning when it's dropped into the tray inside the player. Posted Image Not saying the old tray mechanism is bad since that didn't really happen *that* often, but I don't think it's really all that much better, if at all. At least now I don't have to worry about my kids accidentally bumping into the tray and breaking it while it's extended out -- that happened to a previous DVD/SACD player I had.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (Apostle Paul)

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Blips

Blips

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted January 09 2008 - 05:09 AM

So no scratches at all? Because I have plenty of DVDs I'd like to upconvert as well.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Shane Martin

Shane Martin

Producer

• 6,017 posts

Posted January 09 2008 - 05:19 AM

Not a single one. I haven't seen a scratched Netflix rental either.

#8 of 11 ONLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer

• 10,170 posts

Posted January 09 2008 - 06:33 AM

No scratched discs here. Like others, I was leery of slot loading devices. Between the PS3 and my Macbook Pro, neither has scratched a disc in over a year of ownership for both devices.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer

Producer

• 3,759 posts

Posted January 09 2008 - 07:00 AM

I've had my PS3 for almost a year and have yet to scratch any dvd or BD.
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted January 09 2008 - 07:22 AM

I haven't had any issues with my PS3 scratching a Blu-ray, DVD, or CD in the 3 and a half month's I've had it. It's a great system, just wish they'd include the Blu-ray remote with the console.
DVD Collection/Video Game Collection/Music Collection
"The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you." -GLaDOS

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted January 09 2008 - 02:47 PM

That would make me livid. Guess it's good we don't have kids. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users