What's new

Does the PS3 scratches discs? (1 Viewer)

Blips

Auditioning
Real Name
Cole
*Does the PS3 scratch discs?

With Warner Brothers move to Blu Ray I'm finally considering buying a player. The PS3 seems like my best option considering there's a few games on there I currently want and many upcoming, but I'm not thrilled about the PS3 not having a tray drive and was worried about discs getting scratched. Is anyone having any such problems with the front loading drive? I'm kind of OCD when it come to that kind of thing.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

I am too, but have been impressed with it so far...no problems with scratches although as the previous poster pointed out, there's a resistant coating on it.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I used to be worried about this kind of disc loading mechanism too, but not anymore. Haven't noticed any problems w/ our car's CD player for instance -- and they pretty much all use this type. Yeah, it *looks* like it'd be less safe than the old tray mechanism, but I've had the old tray mechanism leave a scuff ring on a couple CDs in the past too just from how a disc could still be spinning when it's dropped into the tray inside the player. :angry: Not saying the old tray mechanism is bad since that didn't really happen *that* often, but I don't think it's really all that much better, if at all. At least now I don't have to worry about my kids accidentally bumping into the tray and breaking it while it's extended out -- that happened to a previous DVD/SACD player I had.

_Man_

Blips

Auditioning
Real Name
Cole
So no scratches at all? Because I have plenty of DVDs I'd like to upconvert as well.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
No scratched discs here. Like others, I was leery of slot loading devices. Between the PS3 and my Macbook Pro, neither has scratched a disc in over a year of ownership for both devices.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I haven't had any issues with my PS3 scratching a Blu-ray, DVD, or CD in the 3 and a half month's I've had it. It's a great system, just wish they'd include the Blu-ray remote with the console.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks