-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Matlock Season 1: Finally

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 05:07 AM

I have been waiting forever for this series to be released. I know I'll be first in line for this full season set.

Matlock DVD news: Announcement for Matlock - The 1st Season | TVShowsOnDVD.com

#2 of 30 jamoon2006

jamoon2006

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 05:56 AM

Nice! I have fond memories of watching this (and Murder, She Wrote) with my grandparents. Usually, Paramount's price is right, so I'll be getting this one...just in time for my birthday, too!

#3 of 30 John Stell

John Stell

Supporting Actor

• 819 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 06:46 AM

Grandpa Simpson will be very happy Posted Image
"...you would not understand...You do not...have...daughters."

#4 of 30 Tony S

Tony S

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stell
Grandpa Simpson will be very happy Posted Image

If he can figure out how to work that confounded dvd player. Posted Image

#5 of 30 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 10:10 AM

now you can hear Andy Griffith creak in 5.1 surround
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#6 of 30 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,186 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 10:16 AM

Wow! This is *great* news!!!

I really can't understand why it took so long for this series to surface. Some of the same creative people that worked on Columbo also worked on the first few seasons of this series.

Now if I can just find a hot dog vendor ...
Joseph
---------------

#7 of 30 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,233 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 02:26 PM

Excellent news. This show was always entertaining and while it may be blasphemy to some, I've always considered Matlock to be my favorite Andy Griffith series (I love Mayberry * also but it didn't have Brynn Thayer Posted Image).

I'm looking forward to seeing the video quality of these DVDs. The TV re-runs of Matlock can often look wretched; like a worn VHS in some cases.

Steve

* Mayberry fans should like Matlock since Andy cast various people associated with the earlier show as guest actors on Matlock (Anita Corsaut, Sheldon Leonard, Jack Dodson, Betty Lynn, and of course Don Knotts)
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#8 of 30 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,148 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted January 08 2008 - 03:07 PM

They shot the show on film but edited it on tape. Don't expect miracles unless they go back to the original negatives and redo the editing, which is doubtful.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I will not support anything your company produces until then.

#9 of 30 Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight

Second Unit

• 477 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 05:17 PM

I'm surprised Paramount isn't releasing this in split-season sets.

#10 of 30 HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter

• 1,230 posts

Posted January 09 2008 - 02:40 AM

Pilot not included? I love Linda Purl.

#11 of 30 bmasters9

bmasters9

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted January 09 2008 - 02:48 AM

"Matlock" didn't have any musical problems which would necessitate replacements, did it?
"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's original opening from The Prudential College Football Report in the 1985 season, Jim Nantz's debut)

#12 of 30 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts

Posted January 09 2008 - 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Wight
I'm surprised Paramount isn't releasing this in split-season sets.

Don't think the core audience for Matlock could live long enough for 18 split releases.
come see the reviews at

#13 of 30 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,233 posts

Posted January 09 2008 - 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmasters9
"Matlock" didn't have any musical problems which would necessitate replacements, did it?

In general, no. However Andy did occasionally whip out his guitar and sang one of his ditties. One episode did feature Randy Travis as the guest star (not playing himself) and if memory serves he sang a song on that.

Quote:

Don't think the core audience for Matlock could live long enough for 18 split releases.

Posted Image Very funny. However I must add that I know multiple people who are big fans of this show that are much younger than one would expect. Given that CBS has released 3 seasons of Diagnosis Murder so far and Universal is up to season 7 or 8 of Murder She Wrote these series that were thought to skew towards the nearly dead must have a much broader fan base than some would think. The casts and writers are usually strong and I know I love seeing a lot of veteran actors on these shows. Certainly they didn't forget how to act when they turned 60, 70, or even 80+.
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#14 of 30 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts

Posted January 09 2008 - 10:30 AM

I only make this joke because on my visits to retirement homes I have always walked past one TV showing Matlock or Murder She Wrote.
come see the reviews at

#15 of 30 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,233 posts

Posted January 09 2008 - 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey3rd
I only make this joke because on my visits to retirement homes I have always walked past one TV showing Matlock or Murder She Wrote.

Absolutely understand and I've experienced the same thing. I got a big laugh out of one seasoned citizen who commented that she loved Matlock but that Andy Griffith was too old Posted Image

These shows are played nonstop during the daytime on WGN, TBS, Hallmark, etc which certainly are aimed at the retirement crowd that is home during the day.

Steve

#16 of 30 bmasters9

bmasters9

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted January 09 2008 - 11:56 PM

Generally, I think that "Matlock" might be a pretty good series for the money if it's presented properly (good audio/video quality, no music replacements or other edits, full-length outings, etc.).
"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's original opening from The Prudential College Football Report in the 1985 season, Jim Nantz's debut)

#17 of 30 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted January 12 2008 - 03:43 PM

TV Shows on DVD has finally confirmed that the 90 minute telefilm pilot is indeed included with the first season set:

Matlock DVD news: Answer About Whether Pilot Telefilm Is Included | TVShowsOnDVD.com

#18 of 30 Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,233 posts

Posted April 18 2008 - 03:08 AM

Anybody else buy this? If so, what did you think?

I've only sampled disc 1 since I've spent most of my time with the Perry Mason set, but the thing that struck me is how comparitively poor these episodes look compared to the other CBS/Paramount shows that are 20 to 30 years older. Mason, Fugitive, Five 0 et all all look crisp and sharp and Matlock barely looks better than broadcast TV. Such is the reality of a show shot on film but edited on video I guess.

At least the shows are entertaining and Linda Purl is wonderful in her role certainly much better than the actress used in the pilot.

#19 of 30 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,717 posts

Posted April 18 2008 - 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve...O
Anybody else buy this? If so, what did you think?

I've only sampled disc 1 since I've spent most of my time with the Perry Mason set, but the thing that struck me is how comparitively poor these episodes look compared to the other CBS/Paramount shows that are 20 to 30 years older. Mason, Fugitive, Five 0 et all all look crisp and sharp and Matlock barely looks better than broadcast TV. Such is the reality of a show shot on film but edited on video I guess.

That's not a guess, but a hard fact.
come see the reviews at

#20 of 30 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted April 18 2008 - 01:01 PM

I have to admit that I rather enjoyed this set. Hopefully Paramount won't wait forever to release the next season.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow