Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung DLP Display Issues

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Rod_Rigo

Rod_Rigo

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 04:22 AM

All,

I posted this in the Basics section yesterday not realizing this is the place I should post it. I'm having an issue with my DLP display. I've seen this issue before somewhere online but I can't for the life of me find it. I'm going to try and post a picture but I can best describe the issue as bleed over. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted Image

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,308 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 08 2008 - 06:04 AM

It looks like a color-wheel problem. If the set is under warranty, contact the store where you bought it or the Samsung. Regards, Joe

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Rod_Rigo

Rod_Rigo

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 06:27 AM

Thanks, Joe. The set is over 5 years old so definately not under warranty. The only thing I've ever had to do is swap the lamp and even it had over 8400 hours. I'll look for the color wheel and see about swapping out it. Again, thanks for help!

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Rod_Rigo

Rod_Rigo

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted January 10 2008 - 01:13 AM

Quick question if you're still out there, Joe (or anyone else who might know). I've searched the color wheel issues and they're always accompanied by a "humming" sound. Do you know if this "humming" sound is always present when the color wheel breaks? I ask because I don't notice any sound.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,308 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 10 2008 - 02:13 AM

Sorry, don't have a DLP set, so I have no idea. Also the color wheel may not be broken, it may just be misaligned or it may not be turning at the correct speed or something else. This isn't the sort of thing I'd try a do-it-yourself fix on. Bulbs are items designed to be changed by consumers. Color wheels, the motors that turn them and the circuit boards that control them, not so much. Posted Image Call Samsung for an authorized repair place in your area, and see if there is one that gives free estimates or that will apply the cost of an estimate visit (usually about $25, YMMV) to the cost of the final repair if you decide to have it done. Depending on how much the parts and labor would run, you might be better off buying a new set, sad to say.

Regards,

Joe

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Doug_H

Doug_H

Supporting Actor

• 588 posts

Posted January 10 2008 - 03:19 AM

A couple other things you might try. Bleeding like this can be caused by cables or connectors that have gone bad or are picking up interference. Try swapping out the cables, if that doesn't work try a different set of input/outputs if available as these can go bad as well. Last, make sure the cables are not running along any power cords. A strong wireless signal can also cause problems with cables that don't have enough insulation. Good Luck.
Every child has many wishes. Some include a wallet, two chicks, and a cigar, but that's another story.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted January 10 2008 - 03:20 AM

May not apply, but if you're using component inputs check your cables. I had an issue last night with DirectTV HD channels not coming in. The RF cables had come loose, but in the process of tightening I popped one of the component cables off and the display was similar to your picture.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Rod_Rigo

Rod_Rigo

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted January 10 2008 - 05:15 AM

Thanks all. This is an old set so it doesn't have an HDMI connection. I had a DVI to HDMI converter on the back of the set so I could hook up my HD Cable box. About a month ago, it stopped working. I hooked up to the components and it worked just fine so just figured either the cable or the converter had gone out. So I have component cables for the Cable Box and my HD-DVD. The issue happens on both with two different sets of cables. I have a computer hooked up to the VGA port, no issue. I have a PS2 hooked up to the video jack (the yellow one), no issue. I figured if the issue was the color wheel, it should happen on ALL connections not just the higher resolution ones, no? As far as doing the work myself, I'm fairly confident I can swap out the parts myself. I will need to take it in for calibration but the labor or cost of the color wheel (a little over $100), I'm really not concerned about. Again, thank you all for your help. If this additional information helps with new theories, please don't hold back! Model Number is HLN467W (Samsung)

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Rod_Rigo

Rod_Rigo

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted January 10 2008 - 05:23 AM

A little more information: I did move my TV to a completely different area so I don't think the issue is interference. I also have a cheap little DVD that has component and video connections. On component, I get the issue. On the regular video, again, no issue.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,308 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 10 2008 - 06:49 AM

Absolutely. I hadn't realized that the set was working fine on some inputs and not on others or I wouldn't have even mentioned the color wheel. With one input mysteriously dead and two others exhibiting the same problem, I'd suspect trouble with the internal electronics. It would be damned odd to have the HDMI go bad and two separate component inputs flake out without there being some connection. I think you're going to need someone trained on that model to take a look at it. Regards, Joe

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Rod_Rigo

Rod_Rigo

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted January 10 2008 - 07:34 AM

It's starting to look that way, Joe. I can't say for sure my HDMI is out as I have not been able to rule out a bad cable or bad converter but I'm positive I've done all I can to verify the component cables are good. And again, the issue appears to only happen on the higher resolutions. When I use the regular video or vga ports, no issue. Odd problem...

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Rod_Rigo

Rod_Rigo

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 02:06 AM

Is anyone here from the Austin, Tx area? I called Samsung to have them tell me where the authorized service center in my area is and they reccommended E T Televison Service on Stassney. I called, they sounded OK but when Googled them, all I found was bad reviews. Needless to say, I called Samsung back and tried to get another location and they tell me these guys are the only ones in the area. I'm hoping maybe some of you have gotten your displays serviced somewhere else and have had better experiences. I'd be willing to go as far as San Antonio if I have to.

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Doug_H

Doug_H

Supporting Actor

• 588 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 02:15 AM

Rod

I had a TV serviced through them a few years back and I was happy with them. I don't know of anyone else who can help unfortunately Posted Image
Every child has many wishes. Some include a wallet, two chicks, and a cigar, but that's another story.

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   WeaponsTheyFear

WeaponsTheyFear

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted October 10 2009 - 10:38 AM

The humming noise is pretty common, I've been reading.  I had the same problem with my HLP5063WX/XAA.  Everyone says to replace, but I simply opened the entire thing up, took the color wheel out and cleaned it with a cue tip.  There was a thick film over the entire thing and that fixed it up.

Careful putting the color wheel back in though, it's a real pain.  There are two small metal tabs that hold you up from setting the wheel straight in and have to move back and forth, which will make you rub the wheel.  I found slight bits of glass shavings and chips in the base where the color wheel sits in mine, and still works fine :D

Now the problem I am facing sounds similar.  Shades and highlights are extremely weird.  Facial tones are horrible, and very bright spots are extremely bright and pixelated.  Ah, no more Samsung for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users