Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Torchwood Series 2

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,972 posts

Posted January 07 2008 - 10:18 AM

I figure since the new season is about to start both here in the US and in the UK I would start a new thread.

To start us off here's an especially good preview of the new season that Freema (Martha Jones) has put up on her site.

It's a good thing that we're only going to be ten days behind the UK this season.

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 12:05 AM

For a moment there, I thought they were going to use a net! Posted Image

Can't wait for the new season! And with Freema reprising her Martha Jones character in a few episodes, things should get pretty interesting!

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,567 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 12:19 AM

I'll be right there watching on day one.
I'm just about done with Season 1

very excited with Martha on board

all-banner.jpg

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   JoshRas

JoshRas

Stunt Coordinator

• 203 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 02:59 AM

I DVR'd Torchwood when it was on HDNet for a marathon on New Years Day. I loved it. Already finished all the episodes. Great acting/drama. I love the fact they dont hit the reset button after every episode.

What channel will it be on when season 2 starts to air? HDNet again? thanks!

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,282 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshRas
I DVR'd Torchwood when it was on HDNet for a marathon on New Years Day. I loved it. Already finished all the episodes. Great acting/drama. I love the fact they dont hit the reset button after every episode.

What channel will it be on when season 2 starts to air? HDNet again? thanks!

I is going to Air on BBCamerica Starting the 26th. HDnet may pick it up again at some point I'm not sure
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,972 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 04:58 AM

Quote:
What channel will it be on when season 2 starts to air?

BBC America, but I'm sure it will show on HDNet, or one of the other HD channels once it's finished.

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 05:31 AM

BBC America has been running ads about having an HD Channel in 2008, although I don't think that has launched yet.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 06:00 AM

I emailed HDNet about Season 2. Here's the response I received:

Quote:
Torchwood Season Two will begin on HDNet on February 11th.

I love the fact that HDNet showed Season 1 uncensored and without commercials. Posted Image

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,972 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 11:44 AM

Pretty quick response there, Greg.

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   JoshRas

JoshRas

Stunt Coordinator

• 203 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 02:43 PM

Then I will for sure wait a couple weeks and watch it in HD. Thanks for the quick reply

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,710 posts

Posted January 16 2008 - 10:31 AM

*pokes thread with a stick*

Well? How was it? Any good?

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,710 posts

Posted January 17 2008 - 08:30 PM

Holy smokes - be still my heart! It was actually a GOOD episode of Torchwood! The characters were compitant and I didnt find myself hating them. James Marsters was mad wicked funny, and somewhere along the line the Torchwood creative team must remembered the key compoent that makes Doctor Who and Sarah Jane so good (usualy): be entertaining.

It was exciting and fun and didnt get all dark and emo and fill it with unnessassary sex.

(and man, that must have been a PAINFUL death for Jack. Ouch!)

My season 1 set should be here any time. I cant wait to go back and rewatch it to see if time and distance has given me a new feel for the show - or was it just as bad as I remember.

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted January 18 2008 - 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony J Case
Holy smokes - be still my heart! It was actually a GOOD episode of Torchwood! The characters were compitant and I didnt find myself hating them. James Marsters was mad wicked funny, and somewhere along the line the Torchwood creative team must remembered the key compoent that makes Doctor Who and Sarah Jane so good (usualy): be entertaining.

It was exciting and fun and didnt get all dark and emo and fill it with unnessassary sex.

(and man, that must have been a PAINFUL death for Jack. Ouch!)

My season 1 set should be here any time. I cant wait to go back and rewatch it to see if time and distance has given me a new feel for the show - or was it just as bad as I remember.

Glad to hear it was good. I liked the first season. Cant say i am into Jack giving a full open mouth kiss to another guy, but hey he is a man from the 51st century, so whatever. Other than that the only episode i didnt like from the first season was the
one with the dead guys spirit, soul, whatever, who was following Gwen around as she looked into his death
. That one was depressing as hell!

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted January 18 2008 - 04:40 AM

It's fun that apparently everyone in Cardiff knows what Torchwood is and they all resent it because of the trouble that follows it!

"Bloody Torchwood!"

Guess they won't be needing those amnesia pills anymore -- unless they dump it all in the city's water supply. Posted Image

The power struggle between Gwen and Captain Jack should be interesting. When he disappeared, she went from a newbie to team leader in eighteen months. What will happen to Jack now? Will he be demoted to the resident paranormal consultant?

I'm also waiting for the day the fountain lift will possibly bring down a blue box from the surface. It certainly appears to be the right size for it.

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,710 posts

Posted January 18 2008 - 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickER
one with the dead guys spirit, soul, whatever, who was following Gwen around as she looked into his death
. That one was depressing as hell!

Actually I thought that Random Shoes was one of the better ones from season one. The only complaint I had was that The Guy came out of nowhere. If they had built him up in the earlier episodes as a Torchwood Groupie, this episode would have been much stronger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois Caron
It's fun that apparently everyone in Cardiff knows what Torchwood is and they all resent it because of the trouble that follows it!

"Bloody Torchwood!"

Guess they won't be needing those amnesia pills anymore -- unless they dump it all in the city's water supply. Posted Image

Naw, they're just carrying on the long standing UNIT tradition of having a top secret military force clearly label their vehicles and put a big stonkin' sign right outside their headquarters.

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Producer

• 3,031 posts

Posted January 18 2008 - 03:46 PM

Quote:

"Bloody Torchwood!"
That irritated the hell out of me as well. Funny joke, but not at the expense of the organisation's supposed secrecy.

Quote:
Naw, they're just carrying on the long standing UNIT tradition of having a top secret military force clearly label their vehicles and put a big stonkin' sign right outside their headquarters.
To be fair, while they do have a giant sign outside their headquarters, it doesn't say Torchwood. And I don't think the van is labelled. I suspect they've just become really bad at maintaining secrecy.
Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,710 posts

Posted January 23 2008 - 07:57 PM

So I'm shocked and confused. I'm not sure what this strange new emotion is that I'm feeling. Is that. . . . enjoyment? Pleasure? Two good Torchwood episodes in a row? I'm not sure I'm ready for that.

Lets see, a torchwood crew that I didnt want to punch in the face, one that was actually effective without Jack around, Ianto getting a funny bone transplant inbetween seasons. Am I watching the same show?

(And I liked the Dalek Tommy Gun from 1930's New York in the Hub display case)

Oh - and I liked the baby carriage getting hit by the car. Shocking that the creative team would actually go with that. Very nicely done (and darkly funny).

It's intreresting that over in the Terminator TV show they had to go with an Ah-nold lite Bad Guy Terminator, that they werent confident enough in their product to branch out away from the archtype. I thought that the middle aged very much not-buff Sleeper guy gave off a MUCH better Terminator vibe and was way more menacing than anything we've seen in the Sarah Jane Chronicals thusfar.

Cant wait to see episode three. Can this trend of good episodes continue?

#18 of 31 OFFLINE   Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski

Supporting Actor

• 556 posts

Posted January 25 2008 - 03:51 AM

Quote:
So I'm shocked and confused. I'm not sure what this strange new emotion is that I'm feeling. Is that. . . . enjoyment? Pleasure? Two good Torchwood episodes in a row? I'm not sure I'm ready for that.

Lets see, a torchwood crew that I didnt want to punch in the face, one that was actually effective without Jack around, Ianto getting a funny bone transplant inbetween seasons. Am I watching the same show?

I'm glad to hear the second season is starting out well!!! I had many of the same feelings you describe about season 1.

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,972 posts

Posted January 25 2008 - 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewLouwrens
And I don't think the van is labelled.

The van is definitely labeled. And the police have known about them for a while.

I've enjoyed the hell out of both episodes. It was great to see the return of non-morose Jack and I thought Marsters' character was really good, twisted fun.

I like that all the characters seem more fleshed out. Ianto has a sense of humor?

I've tried to be as non-spoilery as I can.

Don't forget that the new season starts tonight (Sat.) on BBCAmerica.

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   AlexF

AlexF

Second Unit

• 499 posts

Posted January 27 2008 - 04:12 AM

Quote:
Actually I thought that Random Shoes was one of the better ones from season one. The only complaint I had was that The Guy came out of nowhere. If they had built him up in the earlier episodes as a Torchwood Groupie, this episode would have been much stronger.

This was the same as that one episode of Doctor Who (series 2? 3?) where we have the group of fans that have been around previously. Yah, it would be fun to have seen them around, but I'm sure that there are other "cases" that we've not seen... preparing us for the future "Torchwood: The Lost Cases" Posted Image

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow