-

Photo

SPHE Press Release: Southland Tales

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,002 posts

Posted January 07 2008 - 09:56 AM

"Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson is perfection!"
-Harry Knowles, AintItCool.com

“Fascinating and Extraordinary!”
-Jette Kernion, Cinematical

Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Seann William Scott, Mandy
Moore and Justin Timberlake Star in Richard Kelly’s Futuristic Thriller

SOUTHLAND TALES

On DVD March 18, 2008

Culver City, CA (1/7/08) – From acclaimed writer/director Richard Kelly, the visionary creator behind the modern classic Donnie Darko, comes another exercise in mind-bending cool with SOUTHLAND TALES, available on DVD March 18, 2008 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment with bonus materials that include a making-of featurette and animated short. The film is a dark comedy about the absurdities of political extremes that bring about the end of the world. Featuring an all-star ensemble cast including Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson (The Scorpion King, Walking Tall) Sarah Michelle Gellar (The Grudge, TV’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Seann William Scott (The Rundown, American Pie), Mandy Moore (A Walk To Remember, Saved!) and Justin Timberlake (Alpha Dog, Black Snake Moan), SOUTHLAND TALES will be available for the SRP of $24.96.

Hailed as a “gloriously sprawling spectacle!” (J. Hoberman, Village Voice) and “funny, audacious, and feverishly inspired” (Manohla Dargis, New York Times), the film also stars Miranda Richardson (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire), Cheri Oteri (TV’s Saturday Night Live) and Jon Lovitz (The Producers).
The making-of featurette “USIDent TV: Surveilling the Southland,” peels back the curtain to reveal secrets and revelations from this epic story of a world on the brink of collapse, featuring interviews with Richard Kelly and the cast. Audiences will also get a chance to expand the film’s unique experience with the never-before-seen animated short, “This is the Way the World Ends,” written and directed by Kelly.

Synopsis
The city stands on the edge of social, economic and environmental disaster. SOUTHLAND TALES is an epic story set over the course of three days that culminate in a massive 4th of July celebration. A large ensemble cast of characters includes Boxer Santaros (Johnson), an action star stricken with amnesia, Krysta Now (Gellar), an adult film star developing her own reality television project, and Roland Taverner (Scott), a Hermosa Beach police officer who holds the key to a vast conspiracy.

Written and directed by Richard Kelly, produced by Sean McKittrick (Donnie Darko), Oliver Hengst (First Snow) Katarina Hyde and Bill Johnson (Just Friends).

Bonus Material
“USIDent TV: Surveilling the Southland” Featurette
“This Is the Way the World Ends” Animated Short

DVD Catalog #: 18283
DVD UPC Code: 0-43396-18283-7
DVD SLP: $24.96
Order Date: 2/14/08

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,524 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted January 07 2008 - 11:48 AM

I was surprised to see this release, thinking the film would go wide at some point. Apparently not.
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,052 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 07 2008 - 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Yee
I was surprised to see this release, thinking the film would go wide at some point. Apparently not.
Yeah. Plenty of great movies never get a release (not that you're implying differently) but if Southland Tales couldn't at least ride Donnie Darko's coattails to a bigger release then I'm not real hopeful for it being a particularly good movie.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted January 07 2008 - 02:54 PM

Naturally, they are going to wait to announce the original, 3-hour Cannes cut of the film until we've all bought this. I pass. If it does well enough to get a deluxe version with Kelly's director's cut, I'll check this out, but this release is just your typical double-dip in the making.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,514 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 08 2008 - 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
Yeah. Plenty of great movies never get a release (not that you're implying differently) but if Southland Tales couldn't at least ride Donnie Darko's coattails to a bigger release then I'm not real hopeful for it being a particularly good movie.

From Ebert's review:

Quote:
After I saw the first cut of Kelly's "Southland Tales" at Cannes 2005, I was dazed, confused, bewildered, bored, affronted and deafened by the boos all around me, at the most disastrous Cannes press screening since, yes, "The Brown Bunny." But now here is the director's cut, which is 20 minutes shorter, lops off a couple of characters and a few of the infinite subplots, and is even more of a mess. I recommend that Kelly keep right on cutting until he whittles it down to a ukulele pick.

My hopes are not high.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Paul_D

Paul_D

Screenwriter

• 2,056 posts

Posted January 10 2008 - 09:07 PM

;

[c][/c]
[c]"Where did you take, this girl Jerry?"[/c]

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted January 12 2008 - 10:51 AM

ST got a 10 day "Limited" release. I must have blinked -or it never came to Seattle;
Limited then probably means NY LA Chi SF DC

Cost $18 million (over the line)
has made back roughly $1 million theatrically.

It was 'ready' for release in June 2006, but didnt show until late Nov 2007;

Probably why SONY is on life support these days-too many of these kind of these pictures under their belt.
And since few have heard of the film-DVD sales may lag.
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 699 posts

Posted January 13 2008 - 03:36 AM

Actually it was not ready for release in 2006 but he took what was basically a work print to Cannes. I think Kelly is a very interesting filmmaker but his ideas are often larger than the film he is making. If you look at the two cuts of Donnie Darko they are very different and the first cut was the better cut in my opinion. Mainly because it left more to the imagination and had a better flow. I have not seen Southland Tales yet but the reviews seem fairly 'love it' or 'hate it' which seems to indicate there is something good there. It is a very big and ambitious project with the three graphic novels setting the stage for the film. I think this means he never meant this film to reach a wide audience and therefore the reaction to it makes sense.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted January 14 2008 - 01:28 AM

No Blu-ray release? I'm not saying this is a particularly good movie - it's a mess, actually - but half its appeal is "looking and sounding amazing".
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

Forum Nav Content I Follow