What's new

THE BETTE DAVIS COLLECTION VOLUME 3 - April 1, 2008 (1 Viewer)

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Press ReleaseSource: Warner Home Video

The Bette Davis Collection Volume 3
Monday January 7, 1:05 pm ET

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--On April 1st Warner Home Video (WHV) marks the return of the incomparable First Lady of Warner Bros., Bette Davis, with the debut of "The Bette Davis Collection Volume 3" honoring the legendary actress on what would have been her centennial birthday. The six-disc gift set will include six fully restored titles: "In This Our Life"; "The Old Maid"; "All This, and Heaven Too"; "The Great Lie"; "Deception" and "Watch on the Rhine." "The Bette Davis Collection Volume 3" will sell for $59.92 SRP.

"In This Our Life" (1942)

Two-time Best Actress Oscar® winners and lifelong friends Bette Davis and Olivia de Havilland square off as sisters (guess who’s the bad one) in "In This Our Life," a must-see for fans of melodrama at its juiciest.

"The Old Maid" (1939)

Based on an Edith Wharton novel and Pulitzer Prize-winning play, "The Old Maid" tells the sad story of Charlotte, a woman whose circumstances force her to give up her illegitimate child and pose as the child’s “old maid” aunt, thereby facing a lifetime of maternal sacrifice.

"All This, and Heaven Too" (1940)

Bette Davis is at the height of her phenomenal screen career, with co-star Charles Boyer in their only film together. The plot is rich in mystery and grand emotion; a powerful period drama honored with three 1940 Academy Award ® nominations, including Best Picture.

"The Great Lie" (1941)

Tempestuous, ambitious concert pianist Sandra Kovac (Mary Astor) shares a bond with down-to-earth Maggie Van Allen (Bette Davis) and her little boy Pete. Sandra’s chic New York friends can’t imagine what the two women have in common.

"Deception" (1946)

The three stars (Bette Davis, Paul Henreid, Claude Rains) and director (Irving Rapper) of "Now Voyager" reunite for this glamorous, angst-ridden melodrama set to a thrilling Erich Wolfgang Korngold score.

"Watch on the Rhine" (1943)

Lillian Hellman’s 1941 stage hit (adapted by Dashiell Hammett) retains its emotional and intellectual power in this suspenseful movie awarded the New York Film Critics 1943 Best Picture prize, and lauded as ”a distinguished film, full of sense, power and beauty” by the NY Times.

Corey

Screenwriter
yay about time!!! surprised dangerous wasn't included, but this is a must have for me.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I guess "Beyond the Forest" is still held up by rights issues. Its better known for the line "What a dump" as referred to by Elizabeth Taylor in "Whose Afraid of Virgina Wolf" then as a great movie.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm surprised THE CORN IS GREEN wasn't one of the selections, but I don't mind waiting. This is a fine group of titles.

I have THE GREAT LIE on laserdisc (paired with DANGEROUS), and it's in rough shape, so a remaster should do wonders for it.

Corey

Screenwriter
The great thing is that Warners still has lots of Bette's films for future releases.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Very true. Actually, I like this boxset even moreso than the previous two boxset releases. There are no double-dips in this boxset. Everyone of the titles in this boxset is a required title for Bette Davis fans.

ted:r

Second Unit
I am extremely happy for this box set. It should be noted it contains 2 Oscar Winning Perfomances for Paul Lukas in "Watch On The Rhine" and Mary Astor in "The Great Lie". Bravo, WB, Bravo!

And with the WB, we can feel very confident we will get them.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I was hoping for The Catered Affair in this set but most assuredly it will be in vol. 4.

Corey

Screenwriter
If the Glenn Ford set is still happening, then A Stolen Life might possibly be included in that set. :D It was Bette's last hit at Warners.

Corey

Screenwriter
Other than the films themselves, the inclusion of the trailers for Mission to Moscow, Confessions of A Nazi Spy, and Dr. Ehrlich's Magic Bullet is also mouth watering.

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos

Don't forget THE STRAWBERRY BLONDE!

With THE OLD MAID, ALL THIS AND HEAVEN TOO, THE GREAT LIE and IN THIS OUR LIFE plus the 1983 doc this is pretty much my dream volume 3. Just slightly bothered about the packaging, but we can't have it all...

All her 1938-1944 films (her best period IMO) are now available except JUAREZ and THE SISTERS.

DanMel

Second Unit
Great news on this as I just ordered Vol 1 and Vol 2 a few days ago and Vol 3 will be on my pre-order list now. She was the greatest and most beautiful actress that ever lived.

gunthertoody

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Great set, but was really hoping for It's Love I'm After! Classicflix.com has the artwork.

Corey

Screenwriter

Well the press release didn't say that they would be sold individually, so I'm assuming that you have to buy the entire set.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Regardless of their being sold as a set or by themselves, the artwork for each film should have been shown!!!!

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Fiore

I love all of these! Thank god Bette didn't make any WW2 action movies (otherwise we'd have some damned "Stuka Fighter" thing clogging up the set)

I'll be first in line to buy this--and for vol. 4 I'd vote for:

The Sisters
Dangerous
Beyond the Forest (if possible)
Juarez (a drastically underrated film)
A Stolen Life

AND

Fog Over Frisco!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks