What's new

Going to HD need advice... (1 Viewer)

Geoff H

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in need of upgrading to HD and am doing a little groundwork before any purchases. I currently have a Yamaha RX-V 1300 receiver that does not have HDMI or DVI connectivity - Is this going to be an issue or can Blue Ray/HD connect via optical or coax?

Advice/Comments appreciated,

Geoff

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
HDM (HD media) can connect via optical/coax, but all audio will be downmixed to DD/DTS (depends on the player what codec and bitrate the downconversion is). You can only take advantage of HD audio codecs (DD+/TrueHD/DTS-HD) three ways:

1) 5/7.1 analog outs to analog ins on the receiver (some player do not have analog outs)

2) HDMI with decoding in player - Requires with an HDMI audio capable receiver. Not all players decode all HD audio formats (especailly DTS-HD/MA), so check the specs.

3) HDMI with decoding in the receiver - Requires player that can bitstream high bitrate audio and an HDMI 1.4 receiver. All codecs can be decoded in this way, but some interactive extras may be inoperable in this mode.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

Jeff Gatie #1 option is what I'm using w/my 6CH-Analog INputs/OUTputs - Yamaha RX-V1300 & Toshiba HD-A35 to hear DD+ & TrueHD!!!

Works & sounds Glorious!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

joe277

Grip
Real Name
Joseph Iannotti
Are you upgrading to HD-DVD/Blu-Ray or just upgrading your cable to HD ??

joe277

Grip
Real Name
Joseph Iannotti
Alright. Here's the low down. There are TWO ways to enjoy HD Audio codecs. The first way is to have a receiver that can handle the HD audio through HDMI. The other way is to purchase a Blu Ray or HD-DVD player that can handle the decoding. This onboard decoding will allow you to output the uncompressed audio through the Analog 5.1/7.1 outs on the dvd player. This second option requires a receiver that can take in Analog 5.1/7.1 signals. I believe that your Yamaha receiver does have Analog 5.1/7.1 inputs. The only other option you have is to use the compressed DD/DTS audio. Some people actually prefer these compressed codecs. In theory the uncompressed audio should be better, but for now, it's only a slightly better quality, but the future is bright for HD Audio. You can always get a player now, and later on upgrade your receiver. Good luck.

Geoff H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Joe,

Stupid question: Is it one interconnect per channel, i.e., 6 for 5.1?

joe277

Grip
Real Name
Joseph Iannotti
Yes. Analog rca cables. I prefer to use nice ones, but you don't have to go crazy with them. But something better than the cheap rca's that come with equipment. I use AXIS brand. They're generic and inexpensive. They don't have an array for those type of inputs, but you could just buy multiple sets of the stereo analog audio cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks