Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Pioneer Kuro PDP-5080 HD sharpness?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 Brian Gaddis

Brian Gaddis

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted January 06 2008 - 05:17 PM

Hi,

I'm considering the PDP-5080 after reading all the rave reviews but was disappointed about something when I went looking at them today. The set they had at Best Buy didn't look as good as the other sets on the shelves. The picture was pretty clean, but it wasn't very sharp. Most of the other sets had much crisper, more detailed images. I had second thoughts after seeing that.

Does the 5080 not produce as sharp an image, or was there maybe something wrong with the display unit? Are there some settings that I can go change on it to see if the image quality improves? Blu-ray is the main reason for my considering the 5080 and I want to make sure it will really deliver on the image quality.

Thanks.

#2 of 3 Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor

• 926 posts

Posted January 07 2008 - 03:25 AM

The problem was almost certainly the set-up, the BB drones are notorious for improper set-up and adjustment of their HD displays. Also, it is almost certain that those other displays that you thought were real crisp and sharp were actually way overblown, to compensate for the miserable lighting and viewing conditions in a typical BB or CC store. Everytime I go into a BB or CC and check the settings of the display models I find that the contrast, brightness and most of the other settings have been cranked to max. But at home, from a normal viewing distance, the proper setting would probably be 50% or less.

It cannot be said strongly enough; never make a decision on a display based on how it looks in a Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, Wal-Mart or any other mass market retailer.
Dan

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin

#3 of 3 edalz

edalz

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted January 10 2008 - 05:42 AM

I agree with dan and I just setup my 5080 last night and I love it. BB's lighting and employees are next to useless. Try to find a real TV store that has proper lighitng and intelligent salespeople and you will see the TV properly. I would also suggest that you go to Pioneer's website and look for their authorized internet dealers and contact them for pricing and free delivery and this could save you some real money or give you a baseline to negotiate from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users