What's new

Star Trek TOS Season 2 HD-DVD- March 25th tentative release (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The upcoming release of Star Trek TOS Season 2 on HD-DVD is still tracking for release on March 25th 2008, based on the news that I know of. The remaining 3rd season of Star Trek TOS will be released this year as well. If anyone has any new updated info, please chime in.

We all know about the Warner Bros breaking news Friday that they will go Blu Ray exclusive starting in May 2008.

A story found at trekmovie.com reports that the sales figures for Season 1 on HD-DVD have been very good and there are plans to continue with Season 2 and the final 3rd season on HD-DVD. The response has been good enough that they are considering other TV Shows like CSI, since it would be a natural.

That story of course was reported the morning of January 4th, 2008, before the Warner Brothers Blu Ray exclusivity story broke. In light of this news though, I have not seen any information about how this will affect the Star Trek TOS season sets.

It's way too early to know. I can't imagine CBS stopping now and resetting all releases to Blu-Ray just yet. My sense is that the remaining Star Trek TOS sets will be HD. At least Season 2 will be HD, it's so close to March now. Of course that doesn't mean CBS could scrap it's plans and rethink this.

There is a possibility that CBS has some kind of out in their contracts with Toshiba and HD-DVD. Sometime down the line, perhaps in a year, there could be a total season set reissue in Blu-Ray. Anything is possible, or Star Trek TOS simply skips that and goes to the next format, be it download or holographic imagers.

For an article on CBS TV releases including Star Trek news, here's a link to TVShowsOnDVD. Star Trek DVD news: Plans for Star Trek on HD DVD | TVShowsOnDVD.com

There's enough interest here amongst the members that a good number will buy this set. But in light of the Warners news, I wonder what others think. I'll likely still collect the remain seasons if they are indeed out on HD-DVD. The hardware still works. It's unfortunate it appears that HD-DVD is going down. Perhaps others will still hold out as the price of the last set was high for many to swallow. So a future version, if it happens, could be in the offering as BD and perhpas less costly when the cost to manuafacture goes down.

LCD22

Screenwriter
As far as the "Star Trek" library is concerned, for me, I would like to see "Star Trek: Enterprise" and all of the theatrical films; personally, I could do without Star Trek: Nemesis. I would hope that, and especially in the case of Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country, which I don't own and didn't care for what director Nicholas Meyer added to the SCE, that they will at least be the original theatrical cuts in HD. The Director's Edition for The Motion Picture I would also buy, but this is all wishful thinking and depending on when CBS/Paramount will go Blu-ray.

It should be interesting to see what this studio will do now. I'll be skipping the remastered TOS, but they should honor their plan and finish out this on HD-DVD and then go straight to Blu-ray (including an eventual reissue) for all future Star Treks.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Nothing more than a cynical guess but I think Paramount will release at least the first three seasons of the original series on HD DVD because they know that they can bleed money from the Trek fanbase who can't wait for a Blu Ray release. Then they'll eventually sell the Blu Ray seasons to people that waited, just got into high definition or the people that have to own everything Trek.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I bought TOS S1 on HD-DVD and will also be buying S2-3 if they finish them on HD-DVD. I must say though, if there was a BD alternative, I would prefer those to the HD-DVD combos, not to mention fewer discs with 50gb to play with and better packaging.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Well, I think Paramount is going to continue to release on HD-DVD until they don't. Meaning they could drop it at any time,and I don't think we'll have any advance notice. Unless they make an announcement soon I'd expect season 2 to move forward but I doubt season 3 will make it to HD-DVD.

LCD22

Screenwriter

This will never happen, but maybe CBS/Paramount could offer a rebate for Blu-ray owners, and soon-to-be Blu-ray owners. I'm not speaking for myself as I'm not planning on buying TOS in high definition either way, but for other fans, it's just a thought.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Paramount will release this in every format that exists until the end of time. They dont miss a trick with Trek. :)
I am sure they will finish the HD DVD/combo sets, but they will eventually do stand alone DVD, and Blu-ray. Its a matter of time.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Given the amount of trouble I had with poor packaging and scratched Combo Format discs on the Season One release, I will wait for a Blu-ray Disc release no matter how long it takes.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Up until Friday I was settled in for a long drawn out format war so I was all set to get Season 2.

Now the propect of paying $120-$140 now and again in a year or two on BD doesn't make much sense. I may cave if the price is right but a lot of events can happen in the next 3 months so I plan to hold off and just see what happens with the HD DVD format.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
There's no telling what the next few months will bring from the shake out of the Warner's announcement.

They likely will continue with HD-DVD and could reduce the price a bit. I agree a re-issue on blu-ray of all 3 seasons could take a year from now at the earliest. CBS must be smart enough to know that they'd upset those who bought into HD-DVD. Perhaps if they did do a BD version sooner, they'd offer a rebate for those with the HD sets as others have discussed. I doubt it though.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have to be honest here.

I don't think I can buy the remaining seasons on HD-DVD
knowing that it's very possible that format is not going to survive.

I'm going to wait out for additional news over the next few weeks,
but if HD-DVD is going away, I'm not purchasing any more titles
on that format.

If it means waiting a year for Star Trek to be released Blu, so be it.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I agree Ron.

I'll wait too. I waited on the SD releases so another year will not hurt.

My HD DVD purchases have stopped - except maybe for any upcoming fire sales.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter

I'm with you Doug!!! :D

Going thru Disc #4 right now, and I plan to watch 'The Menagerie Part I', 'The Menagerie Part II', Starfleet Access (TRUE PiP Commentaries, etc.) next!!!

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
At this point if its on HD DVD and thats the only place I can get it (not just Star Trek, any title) thats where I'll be buying it. I'm interested in the films, I really couldn't care less what format they are on.

I'm probably also going to pick up another HD DVD player and put it in the closet for now as a replacement when my A1 dies.

Not that I think HD DVD is going anywhere anytime soon. Frankly I think Toshiba will still be selling HD DVD players 2 years from now. This thing really isn't over yet. And who knows what wacky thing could happened that would totally change the picture. Warner could decide they've made a mistake and switch back. I mean can anyone honestly say that stranger things haven't happened in this war?

Doug

PerryD

Supporting Actor
What if the wait is 3 years or 5 years instead? First you have to wait for an exclusive studio to start releasing on Blu-ray (6 months? 1 year? 2 years?). Then you are hoping that the studios will then immediately release the hundreds of catalog titles in addition to the new releases.

Unless money is really tight, I say buy HD-DVD exclusive titles and enjoy them now. I can't see myself passing on a Universal or Paramount/Dreamworks title in the hopes that some day in the future there may be a blu-ray release that I would own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks