Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New PS3-How do I connect to wireless network.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   mitch

mitch

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 02:17 PM

Hi All, I just picked up a new PS3 today and I'm trying to connect to my wireless network. I have a D-Link DI-634M wireless router. When I try to access the network with the PS3, it finds my wireless network and shows 87% strength, but says that it can't connect. Can anyone help me to connect? Thanks, Mitch

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,888 posts

Posted January 06 2008 - 11:57 PM

Are you using encryption for your wireless network? You really should, if you're not doing that. Anyway, I had some trouble getting mine to work w/ WEP encryption on my D-Link 524. I tried all possible combo of settings w/out doing a full manual setup, but I just couldn't get it to work w/ my simple, existing 64-bit WEP setup -- and seems like lots of people on the net had trouble w/ WEP setup and eventually tried something else. I ended up trying WPA-PSK encryption instead and went full manual on the setup (w/ manual IPs, subnet mask, etc), and that worked on first try -- not sure if WPA + auto setup for the rest would work equally well. So if you're using WEP, you might want to try switching to WPA instead, assuming your other wireless computers/devices can handle WPA. BUT before you try anything else, you should make sure it at least works fine w/ encryption turned off. You don't want to go through lots of trouble trying different things if there's something more fundamentally wrong between your router and the PS3. You might also want to update your PS3 to the latest software before trying to get an encrypted setup to work again. That's what I did. Let us know how it goes -- I'm sure there will be other PS3 owners who might become interested. Hope that helps... _Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (Apostle Paul)

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   mitch

mitch

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted January 07 2008 - 09:38 AM

Thanks for the reply. I simply had to add the MAC # from the PS3 into my D-Link web site since I use MAC filtering. Now it works like a charm! As soon as I did that, the PS3 got online immediately and it did it's thing. Now, my new issue is to get my Harmony 880 Universal Remote to work with the Bluetooth issue of the PS3. Through my research, I find out that I need to purchase a $13.99 IR remote from a company called NYKO from Amazon. This IR remote comes with a USB dongle that fits into the PS3 USB slot. From there, I can have the Harmony learn the commands for the PS3. I hope that it works! Mitch

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,888 posts

Posted January 07 2008 - 03:33 PM

Good to hear you got it resolved quickly. RE: the Nyko solution, I'll probably go that route also. However, if you must have power-on/off ability w/ IR, then that won't do it for you. Doesn't bother me any since I rarely want to do that anyway. The only other pesky issue is *some* folks are saying it hogs controller #1, which can be rather inconvenient for gamers, but I also saw some say it doesn't do that or just works fine anyway. Of course, there's also the issue that it eats up a USB port, which some might not like for a PS3/40GB (w/ just 2 available ports). _Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (Apostle Paul)

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Executive Producer

• 10,106 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 08 2008 - 09:51 AM

That NYKO remote only has a handful of buttons on it -- I'm not sure that you could do very much using it as a receiver for the Harmony.

To be honest, I would just recommend spending $20 on the official PS3 remote. It's a nice remote (aside from the lack of lighting), and most importantly doesn't hog a USB port. One Guitar Hero, a couple of Karaoke Revolutions, and an IR gamepad and they're all gone! Posted Image
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   thelpfamily

thelpfamily

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted December 02 2009 - 07:59 PM

MITCH regarding the HARMONY remote.. just to let you know.. I have the same one and a older one too on my other tv.. THEY don't work with PS3 at this time.. so don't bang your head on the wall.. and only some work w/ XBOX360 hope that helps

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,508 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted December 07 2009 - 03:32 AM

Logitech now makes an add-on for the Playstation 3 to work with their Harmony remotes, allowing for one-touch control.

Logitech Harmony Adapter for Playstation 3

Quote:
Works with any Harmony Remote for one-touch control of DVD's, Blu-Ray Disc movies and more on PS3. Supports all 51 PS3 commands to allow you to control XrossMediaBar (XMB), DVD and Blu-Ray Disc movies and all other console functions, including power on and off. Bluetooth wireless link keeps valuable PS3 ports available for other controllers. Simple guided online set-up walks you through the process of configuring the remote for your PS3. Always-On AC power. The adapter is always ready for input. When you press a button on your remote, your PS3 responds right away.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Kevin. W

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted December 09 2009 - 02:09 AM

Get the Harmony adapter.  Much better than the nyko

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Dobo23

Dobo23

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted March 20 2010 - 04:37 AM

your reply almost helped me, 'cause im also confused. my house is big, and the walls are too strong, so the wireless network signal doesnt go too far. my room is beyond from where the signal goes, so we installed a wireless signal extensor. the thing is, i have a playstation 3 slim, 250gb version, that refuses to connect to the extensor, but connects perfectly to the original router. the extensor is a D-Link DWL-700AP, a wireless G extensor. but the router is a Netgear WPN-824 RangeMax. i know that the problem is not the extensor, because my macbook works with it like a charm. does anyone have an answer for that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users