What's new

American Idol - Season 7 (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The commercials are running, it's listed on my DVR, so I guess it's time for this season's Idol thread! It debuts a week from Tuesday. You feelin' it, dog? I'm ready.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I never vote, but I'll be watching, especially when they're on the small stage with the full band (my favorite part of the show). I don't know what that stage of the show is called, but I think it's Top 24 that perform there, working down to the Top 12 that go on to the big stage with a full audience. I absolutely hate the "worst of" stuff, but I know of no easy way to skip all that stuff and get to the real singers, so I trudge through it each season.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
it'll be interesting to see what the press coverage is like since Reuben and Taylor Hicks have been dumped from their labels. And for all Simon's "that's Broadway" critiques, a lot of the top folks have found work on Broadway.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I first started watching last season, so it's kind of odd to think that the core group has been chosen and some of them are about to become household names. I just wish the judges would make a solid effort to keep the joke contestants like Sanjaya out of it. Would ratings really suffer if all 24 seemed viable out of the gate?

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

I don't know, but if you stick around this thread, you'll hear some folks say they only watch the beginning to see the "wort of" contestants, then they tune out. I see similar comments all around the net. I have no idea how prevalent such viewership is. I'd think ratings increase as the season goes on. On the other hand, I'd think they'd drop the worst of stuff if it wasn't selling.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't mind seeing morons in the audition episodes, but I'm talking about people actually selected by the judges to go on to the competition. Some of these people, it's hard to believe they weren't picked just so the audience would have someone to root against. Joke contestants. If that's true, I wish they would cut down on that and try to find 24 people who, at first blush anyway, seem like they could go on to the end and not make a joke of the proceedings.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I read recently that a new "twist" this season is the contestants will be allowed to provide "accompaniment" but I don't know if it was for the initial try-outs or for the whole season. It also said that the focus on guest coaches will be cut back this season.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I really hope a rocker goes a long way this year -- last year was terribly boring, and yet I somehow couldn't quit watching!

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Canadian Idol allowed instruments this year and I enjoyed some of the performances from the acoustic guitar players.

Dwight Eon - Kiss From a Rose (Seal)
3 guys - Listen To The Music (Doobie Brothers)

I don't remember how far into the competition they used the instruments, but I have no trouble seeing someone like (for instance) Bo Bice giving even better performances with their "crutch".

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
I watched the entire season of Canadian Idol again this year (I maintain it's a superior show to the American version...), and the performers were allowed to use intruments for the entire season. However, only a handful chose to employ them, and even then they weren't used every performance. It seemed to be that if the song had a cool solo (like Smooth, performed by Dwight D'eon) or just plain sounded cool with it (like the above mentioned Listen to the Music, performed during the group day), then an instrument would be use.

All in all, only a handful of perfomances had guitars or piano played by the performers, but they were enjoyable nonetheless.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I don't think I'll be following it this year, eventhough Melinda looked like a turtle, and her shocked impression after each performance when she got the praise was a little tiresome. Not feeling it this year.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Hahaahahahah, are you kidding, we are in for auditions for weeks on end, dude. :) Don't forget, there's the WGA strike to help make Fox the American Idol All Day All Night network.

Fox will milk America Idol for the next 4.5-5 months. Consider that they will have 12 finalists, that's 11-12 weeks, and then another 6-7 weeks of auditions and other vote-off rounds among the final 24 contestants.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I can't wait for THE most entertaining part of "American Idol": Hanson Yoo's comments/recaps following each show once the competition REALLY starts!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
BTW, it's 4 weeks of auditions (8 frikkin' episodes of auditions) and then the Hollywood episodes to pare it down to the 24, and then the vote to get down to 12, and then the weekly eliminations. Damn, that's a lot of milkage.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This will be the first season in which I don't even watch the auditions. I just don't find the show as entertaining as it was 3-4 years ago.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Good grief, AI meets the Biggest Loser was the first audition. The producers don't leave any stones unturned, do they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks