Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Will Universal re-release the Bourne films in Blu-ray?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 of 61 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,506 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 10:45 AM

If they do come to Blu-ray, I hope they drop that Explosive Extended Edition crap they've been shoving down our throats for years, and include just the original theatrical cut for The Bourne Identity. I do own both the Collector's Edition and The Jason Bourne Collection, but I would like to own all of the films as they appeared in theaters in high definition, too. I looked on DVD Empire and they did include the audio commentary with director Doug Liman on the HD-DVD. Hopefully, they'll port that over. Maybe they could also add the three bonus features that were exclusive to the Best Buy steelbook for The Bourne Ultimatum: Big City Action, The Evolution of Nicky, and Moby's "Extreme Ways" (Bourne's Ultimatum) music video to the Blu-ray version, and this time include the theatrical trailer, which isn't on the bonus disc for the Jason Bourne Collection as they included the teaser.

#2 of 61 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,962 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted January 06 2008 - 11:44 AM

I think you are putting the cart WAAAAY before the horse here.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#3 of 61 OFFLINE   John Wielgosz

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted January 06 2008 - 12:06 PM

The "Explosive Extended Edition" is nothing of the kind. I believe it only had a non-seamless branching option for an alternate ending. Every edition available, including the HD-DVD, is of the theatrical cut. And all of this is assuming they announce Blu-Ray support...

#4 of 61 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,169 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 06 2008 - 12:08 PM

I agree. The BDA has to court Universal before anything like this will happen.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#5 of 61 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,506 posts

Posted January 06 2008 - 12:09 PM

Yes, I know I'm getting ahead of myself here. I got caught up with the thought of The Bourne Identity/The Bourne Supremacy/The Bourne Ultimatum on Blu-ray. Posted Image

#6 of 61 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,506 posts

Posted January 06 2008 - 12:14 PM

I don't know why I thought it excluded the theatrical cut. Thanks for the clarification, John.

#7 of 61 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,506 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 02:18 PM

I love the marketing done for these films, so I would hope Universal would include all of the teasers and full theatrical trailers (in 1080p), as well as the TV spots for a future Blu-ray release.

#8 of 61 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,499 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 11:39 AM

I might be interested in double dipping on the first two Bourne flicks as long as they have a lossless audio track. But since Bourne Ultimatum has a Dolby True HD track I will go ahead and keep that one on HD-DVD.

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (256 Blu-ray Titles)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose

#9 of 61 OFFLINE   JackBauer24

JackBauer24

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted March 21 2008 - 03:04 AM

Yeah how does "The Last Starfighter" get a lossless track and not the first two Bournes? I hope every new Uni BD gets a TrueHD or PCM option.

#10 of 61 OFFLINE   Ray_R

Ray_R

Screenwriter

• 1,559 posts

Posted March 21 2008 - 05:36 PM

I bought all three used today for $10 each. Din't watch these in theatres since I blind bought the first two when they first hit DVD. So I effectively blind bought the third one, the DVD/HDDVD combo.
I own an XBOX 360 HDDVD add-on while my best friend has a PS3/Blu-ray. I only own one BR though, BLACK HAWK DOWN. BHD is literally a HD version of the first disc of the 3-Disc Deluxe Edition.
I own many other Universal titles which are on DVD that I'm planning on buying them on HDDVD. I just need to make sure the HD versions carried over all the SD content.Posted Image

#11 of 61 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted March 25 2008 - 10:09 AM

Since The Bourne Films have becomes Universal's biggest franchise lately, I'd say they will be on BLU RAY sooner than later. Its too bad they did not launch BLU RAY with Bourne late last year, they would have been huge selling titles.

#12 of 61 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,506 posts

Posted November 11 2008 - 09:57 AM

Is there any word from Universal yet on the Bourne trilogy?

#13 of 61 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,455 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 11 2008 - 10:52 AM

Nothing other than the generic '2009' rumor.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#14 of 61 OFFLINE   willh51

willh51

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted November 11 2008 - 03:09 PM

Now that my Bourne Ultimatum is up with the rest of my HD DVDs on Ebay, I'd like Uni to get on the ball with this one. I can't imagine it'll be too long though. Other than Atonement, they have gotten to most of their final HD DVD releases.

#15 of 61 OFFLINE   Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted November 12 2008 - 05:17 PM

"Will Universal re-release the Bourne films in Blu-ray?"

no.

Posted Image

Take that!

These kinds of questions just seem so redundant. Of course they will at some point...what they'll put on it will be the point of conjecture.
I don't like SPAM!

#16 of 61 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,506 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 12:22 AM

To be fair, this was asked when there was still a format war with HD DVD and as it was already indicated, I did jump the gun asking whether Universal would be releasing Bourne (this was before the studio joined the BDA). The only reason I brought this thread up is because I saw that they are releasing the former HD DVD titles Serenity, Friday Night Lights (theatrical), and King Kong (2005). I should've looked in the "'Catch-Up' titles" thread, but since I didn't own a HD DVD player, I didn't think of it. Or were being sarcastic?

#17 of 61 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 01:02 AM

Most titles seem to be released as tie-ins to other films by the director or star. In this case, both the director (Paul Greengrass, at least for Supremacy and Ultimatum) and Matt Damon are working on a film called Green Zone to be released at a date TBD in 2009. Not coincidentally, Universal is the distributor, which means you can bet that they'll release the Bourne films to cash in on the release.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#18 of 61 OFFLINE   ChrisCook

ChrisCook

Screenwriter

• 1,506 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 01:20 AM

I think I had read the studio wanted to get these films out this holiday season, but were unable to.

#19 of 61 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,455 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted November 13 2008 - 05:29 AM

That's probably true, but now that they've missed that window they may wait for the cross promotion opportunity.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#20 of 61 OFFLINE   Joe Wong

Joe Wong

Second Unit

• 291 posts

Posted November 13 2008 - 06:30 AM

At the recent Hollywood HTF meet, the Universal presentation indicated the Bourne films will be coming next year.
Movie reviews and discussion...Joe's Movie Mutterings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users