Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Ultraman: Where's the Authorized Release?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted January 04 2008 - 02:57 PM

Now that Tsuburaya Productions have won their fight against Chaiyo, I'm wondering how long is it going to be before we see legitimate releases of the Ultraman TV shows on DVD ... anyone heard anything about this?

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Hank Dearborn

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor

• 715 posts

Posted January 04 2008 - 07:01 PM

Do they even have copies of the U.S. dubbed masters which UA syndicated in the 60s? I wouldn't buy them again anyway as I'm sure many people wouldn't. The market has already been tainted. I've got about 5000 other shows to worry about without revisiting this one.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 03:41 AM

Yes they do. Matter of fact, BCI asked Tsuburaya Productions for a copy of the original dubbed masters and Tsuburaya Productions politely refused because of their contention with Chaiyo.

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Talmadge
Yes they do. Matter of fact, BCI asked Tsuburaya Productions for a copy of the original dubbed masters and Tsuburaya Productions politely refused because of their contention with Chaiyo.

From what I've read - they have the tracks in English,Spanish and French!

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Bryan Krantz

Bryan Krantz

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted January 06 2008 - 05:33 PM

So those sets I have seen in Best Buy aren't authorized? I have an old bootleg and was wondering if a set with better picture quality had been released.

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted January 07 2008 - 12:44 AM

The sets at Best Buy and other retailer outlets are legal copies as BCI obtained the license for their release from Chaiyo, who had the licenjse before the matter went back to court and Tsuburaya Productions won their fight against Chaiyo.

What this latest victory means is no one's guess but it could mean that we might see an official release by Tsuburaya Productions in regards to the original series.