What's new

are Paramount and universal sticking with hd-dvd exclusively? (1 Viewer)

Dean L

Stunt Coordinator
Forgive me if this has already been asked.
But will Paramont and Universal continue releasing movies on HD-DVD (and SD-DVD) only?
If so, I don't think HD-DVD will be completely dead.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
No one is sure. The haven't said anything yet. Bases on Toshiba's press release they aren't calling it over yet. They may be talking to retailers or ?? to see what they can do.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I don't know how they can stay HD-DVD exclusive for much longer, considering what happened today. I don't expect we'll hear anything at CES regarding Uni or Para changing sides or anything, but a few months down the road, I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of them start supporting Blu.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I've read that Paramount has an out for their agreement. It may be that certain situations will have to be met before they can go blu and not breach contract--which may take some time. This is all assuming they would want to do so.

Universal on the other hand has seemingly handled this all very poorly from the start and theres no telling what they've gotten themselves into.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Just a guess on my part but I don't think Universal or Paramount will go blu-ray anytime this year.

Doug

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I'd expect their shareholders to want them to go BluRay before the next holiday season sales. They can't rely on only the current HD-DVD owners to even match current sales -- they'll want growth.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I'm not sure what to expect from them but I'm not counting them out of the HD DVD market just yet.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I do expect Universal to make a move very soon and I also think certain retailers will be making a move soon, as well.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
If everybody immediately drops HD-DVD there are going to be a lot of titles that will become unavailable in HD.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
What titles have Paramount and Universal brought to market thus far? The Star Trek OS? Not my cup of tea but would consider the ST movies if they brought them out. Heck after all these years Universal STILL hasn't come out with a decent DVD of The Seven Percent Solution.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I believe Paramount/DW has to stick with HD DVD-camp for the certain amount of time after their "HD DVD exclusive"-deal (not talking about the money necessarily), so probably we don´t hear any big news from them after 3rd or 4th quarter of 2008.. But of course they´ll be re-evaluating their whole strategy after this new move from Warner. In the end, it´s about the money and markets for them, not about "formats".

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Yes but none of them are the kind of "classic" film that I personally want. Just a bunch of "car crash" etc. recent releases.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I'm not sure why the HD or BD powers that be have totally forgotten that people in their late 40's and 50's and 60's and ALOT MORE disposable income at hand and I'm sure would love some "classic catalog Hi Def titles". Very dumb move on their part.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I think they're all scrambling right now to figure out the best course of action.

I think both will support Blu-ray as soon as they can. I expect we'll hear some noises along those lines in the next week.

Paramount especially maybe locked in to HD DVD for a while, so the actualy transition may not happen overnight. Maybe they'll both continue to support HD DVD for a while, too. Who knows.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I am hearing through sources that they have both committed to continue to release films on HD DVD. That could change anytime this year, but that is where things stand today.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
they'll probably be format "neutral" by mid-2008...
unless they're legally obligated, it makes no business sense to stick with a sinking ship. cut your losses and make the best of it.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I wouldn't expect Uni to drop HD DVD but going neutral might very well be possible. Paramount is probably locked in through the end of their 18 month deal (which would be to the end of 08).

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Well, then I guess you're SOL then. Personally, I'm completely happy with the Universal and Paramount titles I've purchased so to each their own.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks