What's new

Looking Forward To Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

ErichH

Screenwriter
Now that the Warner thing is blasting across the net and Apple's BD drive is right on top of us, I think we'll finally have the 50g recordable coming in at a reasonable price. Hopefully a new Super Drive (or whatever they want to call it) that will go the way of the many Panasonic DVRs (as in constant updates and super low price) Let's say down to 100 bucks within a year and media at 2-3 where it should be.

Thoughts?

Edit - Was I wrong or what? Little did I know

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Don't start holding your breath -- new MacPros were announced today -- no Blu-ray, thus the chances of a Blu-ray burner in other models next week are close to zero. There is a very small chance of a BD-ROM equipped AppleTV (or similar).

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
My prediction (based on today's MacPro):

Apple will do a Microsoft, and try to outdo them with the new AppleTV.
DLC. Fox was ripe for the picking as a partner.

The next 7 days will be interesting.

I am picking up an AppleTV regardless next week.

ErichH

Screenwriter
I would be interesting if Apple updates the TV box (especially if it's Blu)
I thought it was a bad idea from the start, but I'm not the demoG, so who knows?

Downloading film in MS or Apple world seems to go against the bandwidth choke in most places (thanks FCC & Telcom Bstrds) but mp3 certainly crushed CD files. Apple has people watching video on 2 inch screens - never say never.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I wonder if offering Blu-Ray drives might affect its ability to deal with studios or record companies where the iTunes Store is concerned. After all, Jobs is also the largest individual stockholder in Disney.

ErichH

Screenwriter

The 2nd round with a TV box speaks volumes.

So, it's on to Panasonic, Toast and the others. So what if there's no official endorsement. The hardware and media are here. Just a matter of time for prices to reach downward. Does anyone not remember a 2 speed CDR at 600 bucks?

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
They just posted 4th quarter results with $18 billion in reserves. Time to buy a studio? lol.

ErichH

Screenwriter
Apple's HD? Yeah sure Steve - we'll toss our BD players cause you said so. Wow

» Here’s what fake HD video looks like | George Ou | ZDNet.com

Remember Ellison's interview from 10 years ago? He goes on and on about how stupid it is to drive to a store and get a giant box (paper) with more paper in it and a Disk (plastic/oil) when we should just download the ware and save all that material and shipping and driving (Oil)

I agree, but it didn't happen did it? Oh yeah, there's a little thing called BANDWIDTH being held back in the states (greed) so darn it, no 40-50mb lines for us.

Guess he was talking about Europe & Asia

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
You know I have great respect for Jobs, and he gets quite a lot of things right, and is ahead of the times with other things...but he also gets some things wrong. I think his approach to HD is going to be more of the latter than the former.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks