Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Looking Forward To Blu-ray

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   ErichH

ErichH

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted January 04 2008 - 12:41 PM

Now that the Warner thing is blasting across the net and Apple's BD drive is right on top of us, I think we'll finally have the 50g recordable coming in at a reasonable price. Hopefully a new Super Drive (or whatever they want to call it) that will go the way of the many Panasonic DVRs (as in constant updates and super low price) Let's say down to 100 bucks within a year and media at 2-3 where it should be. Thoughts? Edit - Was I wrong or what? Little did I know

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,903 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 03:08 AM

Don't start holding your breath -- new MacPros were announced today -- no Blu-ray, thus the chances of a Blu-ray burner in other models next week are close to zero. There is a very small chance of a BD-ROM equipped AppleTV (or similar).
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   ErichH

ErichH

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 04:57 AM

I noticed that. Also sony is showing a sub 200 BD drive at CES.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 08:28 AM

My prediction (based on today's MacPro): Apple will do a Microsoft, and try to outdo them with the new AppleTV. DLC. Fox was ripe for the picking as a partner. The next 7 days will be interesting. I am picking up an AppleTV regardless next week.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   ErichH

ErichH

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted January 08 2008 - 08:56 AM

I would be interesting if Apple updates the TV box (especially if it's Blu) I thought it was a bad idea from the start, but I'm not the demoG, so who knows? Downloading film in MS or Apple world seems to go against the bandwidth choke in most places (thanks FCC & Telcom Bstrds) but mp3 certainly crushed CD files. Apple has people watching video on 2 inch screens - never say never.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   ErichH

ErichH

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted January 18 2008 - 12:46 PM

Well, The Cringe always has an interesting perspective.
Once again - why we didn't see an Apple Blu-ray announcement this week and -- if Jobs has his way -- we'll never see one.

Read here - I, Cringely . The Pulpit . The Big Picture | PBS

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,444 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted January 18 2008 - 03:45 PM

I wonder if offering Blu-Ray drives might affect its ability to deal with studios or record companies where the iTunes Store is concerned. After all, Jobs is also the largest individual stockholder in Disney.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   ErichH

ErichH

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted January 18 2008 - 05:02 PM

The 2nd round with a TV box speaks volumes. So, it's on to Panasonic, Toast and the others. So what if there's no official endorsement. The hardware and media are here. Just a matter of time for prices to reach downward. Does anyone not remember a 2 speed CDR at 600 bucks?

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted January 22 2008 - 10:14 AM

They just posted 4th quarter results with $18 billion in reserves. Time to buy a studio? lol.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   ErichH

ErichH

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted January 23 2008 - 09:22 AM

Apple's HD? Yeah sure Steve - we'll toss our BD players cause you said so. Wow

» Here’s what fake HD video looks like | George Ou | ZDNet.com

Remember Ellison's interview from 10 years ago? He goes on and on about how stupid it is to drive to a store and get a giant box (paper) with more paper in it and a Disk (plastic/oil) when we should just download the ware and save all that material and shipping and driving (Oil)

I agree, but it didn't happen did it? Oh yeah, there's a little thing called BANDWIDTH being held back in the states (greed) so darn it, no 40-50mb lines for us.

Guess he was talking about Europe & Asia

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,880 posts

Posted January 23 2008 - 10:43 AM

You know I have great respect for Jobs, and he gets quite a lot of things right, and is ahead of the times with other things...but he also gets some things wrong. I think his approach to HD is going to be more of the latter than the former.

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)