-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

New to Blu? Buy a PS3: the most featured BD hardware available...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
726 replies to this topic

#21 of 727 Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 974 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. The PS3 has to do the "extraction" of both TrueHD and (soon) DTS-HD MA to PCM for passing over HDMI.

In theory they should both sound the same since it's getting turned into PCM by one device or another. But in practice it's possible that some variables *could* affect the sound depending on where it happens. For instance, jitter might affect PCM over HDMI differently than bitstreamed compressed audio data. It's also possible that dialog normalization and other "features" of TrueHD, or some sort of additional processing, could be applied in one case but not the other (or applied differently) depending on your gear and set-up.

Since I can only decode to PCM and hear it that way I can't compare myself. But I can say that the decoded 5.1 24/96 TrueHD on the David Matthews BD (sent as PCM over HDMI to my Marantz) was beyond belief.

BTW, I bought a Marantz 8002 with HDMI 1.3 and built-in decoding of TrueHD and DTS-HD MA so I could keep my options open in the future: the PS3 is not the last BD player I'll ever own and I'd like to hear it both ways and decide what I like better with my next player (bitstream versus extraced PCM). I would encourage ANYONE buying a new audio receiver to do the same: don't get ANYTHING that doesn't have HDMI 1.3 *and* internal advanced audio decoding. Keep your options open... you might have that receiver for a long time (had my last one for over 5 years) and you want to make sure it can accept and decode these new formats to ensure that you're not going to miss anything going forward.

David, thanks for this answer. Its exactly what I needed to know. Cheers!

#22 of 727 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,457 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 11:34 AM

Quote:
the problem isn't your price. It's the 2.0 spec: there are no 2.0 players yet... it's still probably a few more months before we get it. Yes, no argument for me that this is pretty lame considering how long BD has been on the market, especially since HD DVD had it working day-one.
And so the waiting game continues for those of us who have been waiting for a decently priced full-featured standalone BR player...

#23 of 727 Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaViD Boulet
Anyone thinking about jumping on a PS3 for movie-only use should hang-tight to see what comes out of CES. If no 2.0 players are announced at a reasonable price or for a reasonable time-frame, the PS3 is your best choice
That's probably what I'm going to do. If there are no reasonably priced "future-proof" players announced, I'll probably order a 40 GB PS3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romier S
It has no compatability with PS2 games but it most certainly features compatibility with original PSX titles.
I assume PSX=PS one. If so, do you need a firmware upgrade/player modification to play PSX games? According to SonyStyle's PS3 specs (40 GB):
Quote:
Note: This model will not play PS one® or PlayStation® 2 games. For compatibility with all PlayStation systems, please check out the PLAYSTATION®3 80GB

#24 of 727 Norman Matthews

Norman Matthews

Second Unit

• 258 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 12:44 PM

Thanks for the input, Romier. So what you're telling me is I want one of the two models that are no longer widely available. Sigh...

#25 of 727 RogerR

RogerR

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 01:00 PM

For people who use the PS3 for movies, I'm curious how you tolerate the fan noise. I had purchased a PS3 in early December primarily for Blu-ray playback, with maybe some gaming, and I took it back a day later because I couldn't tolerate the fan noise during quiet moments in the film. Is it simply because my component cabinet is open and none of the noise was getting muffled?
I have subsequently bought the new Panasonic BD-30 player and it works great. But I would have liked to have had the advantages offered by the PS3.

#26 of 727 Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 01:07 PM

Mine is in an enclosure with only the front open and I can't hear a thing from it even in total silence. I had heard it was a quite machine before purchasing as well. I was planning on moving it to an open environment soon though so I'll have to check this out.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#27 of 727 Romier S

Romier S

Producer

• 3,533 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_J
I assume PSX=PS one. If so, do you need a firmware upgrade/player modification to play PSX games?
My boss at work has a 40GB. Original Playstation titles work fine. No firmware update required. The only hardware removed from the 40GB (as far as BC is concerned) is the remaning chips for PS2 backwards compatibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Matthews
So what you're telling me is I want one of the two models that are no longer widely available. Sigh...
Yep, it's a bitch and it's one of the reasons I really dislike the decision to put a premium on backwards compatibility by Sony. A silly move considering the wealth of Playstation 2 titles on store shelves and the Playstation 3 games library having only just begun to blossom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR
For people who use the PS3 for movies, I'm curious how you tolerate the fan noise.
I've heard this from people and I honestly have no idea what you mean. I am not at all joking when I say that my 20GB PS3 is absolutely whisper quiet. The only time I hear it is when the drive is spinning up a disc. Hell, the drive in my HD-A2 is louder! There have been times when the PS3 was accidentally turned on in my home (by my daughter) that I've noticed it until HOURS later because it's completely inaudible.

#28 of 727 Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Screenwriter

• 2,983 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 01:26 PM

Quote:
Buy a PS3
No thanks I will never purchase a Sony gaming console.

I'll simply continue to use my current player and purchase a good stand alone 2.0 player after they shake the bugs out of it and there is plenty of software that takes advantage of the hardware.

#29 of 727 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,457 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 01:59 PM

Quote:
Same here. It frustrates me that the "flagship" of BR players is a game console.

#30 of 727 PerryD

PerryD

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 02:08 PM

I'd like to buy my parents a high-def player, and I've been very close to picking up an Toshiba HD-A2 or HD-A3, failing to track down a $99 player last November, and missing the recent $159 Amazon HD-A3s with 3 free instant movies (plus the 2 pack-ins, 5 by mail). Then I can drop by, swap out their DVD player, and then loan them some of my HD movies.

I don't ever see myself buying my parents a game system to play movies. In their case, I will wait until there is an affordable standalone blu-ray player. This is currently where the Blu-ray group is failing, and hopefully sometime this year we will see a sub $200 player from Sony or Panasonic.

#31 of 727 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 02:09 PM

Wouldn't the Samsung BD-UP5000 be upgradeable to 2.0? It is already required to have an Ethernet port because it's mandatory for the HD DVD side of its abilities.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#32 of 727 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,049 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted January 05 2008 - 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_S

why is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR
Same here. It frustrates me that the "flagship" of BR players is a game console.

again, why.

this is a great blu-ray player.

have you guys read every post in this topic?
some really strong arguments for the ps3 as a br device.
facebook.com/whotony

#33 of 727 Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Screenwriter

• 2,983 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 02:40 PM

Yes I have read every post and I still won't buy a Sony gaming console.

I'd rather see Sony electronics get off their asses a produce a stand alone player that is equal to the PS3.

#34 of 727 Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_S
Yes I have read every post and I still won't buy a Sony gaming console.

I'd rather see Sony electronics get off their asses a produce a stand alone player that is equal to the PS3.

Yes but if they did that, it would cost more than the PS3. They sell it at a loss because of the gaming market, that's why its such a great value. There would be no motivation to sell a standalone player at a loss, and cheap players will never have the kind of advanced multimedia features the PS3 or an equivalent standalone unit bring to the table.

If your only problem is that you don't want to pay for the gaming aspect of the machine, trust me... you wont be. If your problem is somehow with Sony then I don't see why you would buy anything from them, cheap or not.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#35 of 727 Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 02:58 PM

I would like to add to this PS3 endorsement. One item I haven't seen mentioned as I skimmed the thread is that the PS3 is also the fastest of the BD players out there. I'm sure many have heard about loading screens for BD-Java on the standalone players. With the PS3, this screen comes up for all but a second and it is done.

I still find the "I wont' buy a game console' argument amusing. It isn't a game console unless you put a game in it. Otherwise it is a standalone with a very nice menu which you can bypass alltogether by having the system autoplay any disc you insert. Removing the PS3 as an option solely based on the fact that happens to also be a console is truely is your loss.

#36 of 727 Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 974 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 03:03 PM

I have a 40GB PS3 and was concerned by the reports by people about fan noise. My PS3 sits in the open, about 10-11ft from where we sit, and I have never heard it, just like any of my other components.

And while I love my D2 HD DVD player, I must admit to being delighted by how quick to load and responsive the PS3 is.

I bought it with the express intention of it probably being a movie player 95% of the time. I don't understand the prejudice about it being a game console - to me its a bloody good BD player!

#37 of 727 Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Screenwriter

• 2,983 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Gibbs
Yes but if they did that, it would cost more than the PS3. They sell it at a loss because of the gaming market, that's why its such a great value. There would be no motivation to sell a standalone player at a loss, and cheap players will never have the kind of advanced multimedia features the PS3 or an equivalent standalone unit bring to the table.

If your only problem is that you don't want to pay for the gaming aspect of the machine, trust me... you wont be. If your problem is somehow with Sony then I don't see why you would buy anything from them, cheap or not.
Please show me where I wrote cheap? All I want is a good stand alone player that has the Blu-Ray function set of 2.0. By the time there is a good software supply for 2.0 features (another item that I mentioned) I'm certain there will be several standalone units available.

As for the multimedia functions, I already have a device that does a better job so I don't need nor want another.

#38 of 727 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,049 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted January 05 2008 - 03:11 PM

ok but you havent said why you wouldnt buy this, other then it's "a gaming console" .
that isnt very good reason.
maybe you have reasons that are personal to you and thats fine but just because it plays games too, isnt a legitimate reason, my opinion.
facebook.com/whotony

#39 of 727 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,457 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 03:56 PM

Quote:
again, why.
Is it your view that every BR set top maker should just fold up their chairs and quit? I'm not interested in a curved box with no proper front display, no ability to be properly integrated into my rack, no analog outputs for advanced audio, and no ability to be controlled by my Pronto.

Clear now?

#40 of 727 John Burton

John Burton

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts
  • LocationSimpsonville, SC

Posted January 05 2008 - 04:01 PM

I bought a Samsung 1400 over the PS3 for the following reasons:
1. Remote. I want my 880 on the table and that is all. Anything more, and the chances of my family operating everything goes down.
2. DTS. I like DTS, and I feel like this year will see a lot more movies with it.
3. Noise. Will not be able to tell about this until it is in my house.
Correct these issues, and I will revisit the PS3 because I hate this 1400.
John Burton

Back to Blu-ray, DVD, LD, Tivo, Satellite and Other Playback Devices

Forum Nav Content I Follow