What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Rock (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I've actually never seen this movie before, so I am looking forward to doing so soon since I have this pre-ordered. That being said, no discussion of The Rock seems complete without this quote:

I figured I'd just get it out of the way. ;)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Sounds like I'll have to do the triple-dip on this one, if I count the 2 SD DVDs, but at least it has all the extras so I shouldn't need to dip again later. :P

Thanks for the fine review, Matt.

_Man_

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
One thing to be aware of, if you do have an SD version of this title, you can send off to Disney for a $10 rebate when you upgrade.

Link

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

OOOOOH! I did not know this. Cool! I actually have *both* SD versions of both The Rock and Crimson Tide, so I guess I can return the non-anamorphic version of each for the $10 rebate (x2). Certainly makes the BD dip (on both) a no-brainer then. Thanks a bunch!

_Man_

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor
can't wait to get my copy of this, one of my favorite flicks

Matt do you know or have a guess if this used the master from the criterion DVD release? it was splendid, grain intact and sharp as a razor

thanks for the review

-Gary

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Gary, there is nothing in the press materials to suggest the Criterion transfer was used for the Blu-ray version, but as most of the rest of the disc's contents came from Criterion's work, it's certainly possible. I never had the Criterion laser or DVD so I can't do a comparison.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the thorough review (for this and Con Air - you're saving me money on Con Air ;) ).

With the rebate coupon for double dippers, I'll be purchasing The Rock, which is one of my guilty pleasures, based partly on your solid review.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Anyone know yet exactly what you have to do for the upgrade rebate? I'm curious.

FWIW, PotC: At World's End also got a $10 coupon upgrade deal included inside the SE SD DVD version -- not sure if it was also in the regular version. However, that deal was no good for me since it seemed to only work for B&M purchase -- and I couldn't find any at a good price before jumping on some $10-off Amazon deal. I think I saw that Toys-R-Us might finally have it cheap enough to use the coupon, but it's too late for me now. :P

_Man_

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
This one cries out for a DVD Beaver DVD/BD comparison, as Criterion's DVD was already a great transfer.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The porting over of Criterion supps is not 100% if this review details every supp that's on the BD. (Matt, you wouldn't know this since you did not have the Criterion. Nothing personal against you, but I've seen this before and think it's something of a problem: when there's obviously so much interest in whether supps are getting ported over to HDM on a big catalog title like this, I think the review should be written by someone familiar with or with ready access to the previous discs on the market).

There's no mention in the review of the Criterion's "Stills Gallery." It contained storyboards for the "Alcatraz Incursion" and the "Morgue Sequence," "Production Design Drawings" and "Production Stills." Is all of this missing from the BD?

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Incidentally, it sure is refreshing to put in that Criterion disc and have it go straight to the menu almost immediately. No FBI warning. No skipping of trailers. No Java loading.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

No offense taken, Paul, but after all, my job actually is to review what's ON the disc, not what isn't. Of course, if I had access to either the Criterion laserdisc or DVD, I most certainly would have done a comparison and commented on those findings, but by my describing what I did see on the disc, I'm informing readers what they will be seeing on the disc if they decide to purchase it as best I can. In an ideal world, I would also like to know how big a step up from a previous sDVD release a new BD release is, but that's not always possible, and the logistics of getting discs to reviewers prior to street date is complicated enough as it is.

(I will go back and check tonight to see if I overlooked the stills section.)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Paul,

Bear in mind that the studio PR departments don't always take kindly to having to send screeners to different people. If Disney normally sends screeners to Matt, then asking them to make a special exception will burn goodwill and could delay (or even cancel) the review.

Also, remember that to properly review a disc like this is a lengthy undertaking -- just to watch this film and its extras, let alone think about it and write the review, you're looking at 5+ hours. The only remuneration is the disc itself. Adding extra work (like discussion of who should do a particular disc) is more of a hassle than it may seem.

And it can get a little touchy -- on one occasion when I was reviewing DVDs for this site, someone actually complained that I wrote about the image quality of a disc without first consulting the director (IIRC, it was Ron Howard) as to his intent! :D

It's far more efficient for a helpful member such as yourself to post the extras list from the existing disc when the reviewer doesn't have a copy handy. ;)

Incidentally, I find that the DVDTown.com site is usually pretty accurate as far as listing disc extras. That's the first place I look when I want to compare releases.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Anyone besides me hate the "Swish" cover? I can't really stand any packaging where the format is more integral to the cover than the movie art. these pre-designed covers with only a small space reserved for actual movie art reminds me too much of THIS. And we don't need to go back to that.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Oh I wasn't contemplating/suggesting any changes at the studio level regarding who they send the disc to. Rather, I was thinking the guy who gets it simply forwards it to the already-identified different reviewer. We're all on our computers for hours daily so, indeed, I don't understand how identifying who that person might best be is a big deal/hassle/lotta extra work/long discussion. I may be understating/missing something but it seems like a few e-mails and the same padded mailer envelope the studio probably sent the disc in are all that's required. ;)

Thanks for DVDTown referral.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
A friend just got his; re the questions about how the rebate works: there's a sticker on the packaging that reads "Current DVD Owners - Save $10 By Mail When You Purchase This Blu-ray Disc." Inside there's an insert; it looks like that which is pictured in the link earlier in this thread. Expires 12/31/2008. Insert states that any version/edition of the three films on SD DVD qualifies. Mail the UPC from the SD DVD, the BD and the BD receipt and they mail you the $10.

I'm gonna get clarification on whether the insert says anything about "register" receipt, which may or may not problematize things for Amazon shoppers like me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks