-

Photo

Are most films Re-Eq'd (soundwise) for HT?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Mike Huey

Mike Huey

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted January 04 2008 - 05:35 AM

I know that many New Line titles done by Mi Casa are re-equalized/optimized for home theater to reduce the brightness/ X-curve factor, but is this a standard practice with most films released today on dvd?

#2 of 6 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,957 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 04 2008 - 06:31 AM

I believe it is, especially since home speakers are by nature brighter sounding, as they don't typically go through the same abuse theatre speakers do. Also, the bit rate on home DD 5.1 tracks is higher, as all Dolby can fit between the sprocket holes (where the data is stored) is a BR of 320 kbps. The typical DD 5.1 track on a DVD is 448 kbps and in some rare instances 640 kbps.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#3 of 6 Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted January 05 2008 - 07:41 AM

Ac3 at 640kbps isn't used for commercial DVDs. I wish it were though, as it sounds as good as your basic DTS track.

#4 of 6 Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm

Second Unit

• 452 posts
  • LocationStockholm, SWEDEN

Posted January 05 2008 - 10:27 AM

Except for Pink Floyd's Pulse, which sounds absolutely brilliant!
/Mikael

- "Do you indulge in any form of worship?"
-"Life. I love life, very much indeed."
David Bowie interviewed by Russell Harty, 1973

#5 of 6 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,957 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted January 05 2008 - 12:51 PM

Hence my comment "in some rare instances."
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#6 of 6 Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted January 06 2008 - 01:30 AM

But remember - even at 448kbps or 640kbps, the sound is compressed. It can't compare to the same source in uncompressed PCM or other lossless formats like DTS Master Audio or Doloby Digital TrueHD as found on high definition discs. I can't tell you the number of movies I have on Laserdisc in PCM that sound leagues better than their DVD counterparts (sometimes even the Dolby Digital tracks on the Laserdisc are much better than the DVD editions though the bitrates and compression are the same - perhaps different mixes were used or too much processing done for the DVD versions - HELLO, DOLLY! anyone?)