What's new

I Want a Blu-ray player that decodes TrueHD and DTS Master audio internally. Any sugg (1 Viewer)

forknuggler

Auditioning
Real Name
jay
I have a yamaha receiver with hdmi inputs and 7.1 analog inputs. I understand this receiver cannot decode these new codecs, but the right player should right? I currently have the sony bdp-s1, but i'm pretty sure it doesn't decode these new formats internally. depending who you talk to in my area, you will get 37,577 different answers. all i want is to get hooked up with the right stuff, and since my receiver cost $1000.00 I dont really want to replace it after only a year

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Your BDP-S1 will decode TrueHD (assuming it has the latest firmware version) and output it as PCM over HDMI, or as analog multi-channel audio from the player's analog outputs. It won't decode DTS-HD Master Audio, though. At the moment there are no players on the market that will decode this format internally.

There are a handful of new players that will output both TrueHD and DTS-HD MA digitally to an external decoder, but this isn't of any use with your current receiver (you would need to buy a new model with these decoders built in, and a new Blu-ray player with bitstream capability).

Denon's upcoming DVD-3800BDCI Blu-ray player is reported to have both TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio processing onboard, but it is not yet available and will retail for $2000.

Unfortunately, at the moment, there aren't any low-cost options for someone in your position. Your best bet may be to simply wait and see what the other manufacturers will be offering in 2008. Keep and eye on what is reported at next week's CES show.

Adam

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The PS3 will decode Dolby True HD, PCM but not DTS in any flavor. That might change if rumors turn out to be fact. The current rumor is DTS is working on something with the PS3 to get master lossless decoding on board.

That is however not a guarantee and not anything you should bank on.

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards
I use the Samsung BD-P1400. supports DTS-MA and TrueHD over 6 RCA or HDMI. The only drawback is it profile 1.0

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member

It doesn't do DTS MA over 6rca. DTS HD but not DTS MA Lossless. Not a single player currently will decode it and send via analog or HDMI. There are a few players like the 1400 that will send the DTS MA signal undecoded over HDMI.

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards

Damn, just noticed that. Thankfully it only effects one title I have so far.

shockt327

Grip
Real Name
Jango

And if you have a receiver than can decode DTS MA, then that option is just as good, right?

BTW - what other BD players will send the DTS MA signal undecoded over HDMI?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member

or arguably better yes :)

The other Bitstream players that I know of are:
Panasonic Bd30k
Pioneer 95FD
Sony BDPS500(no DTS MA via bitstream though)

The LG gen 2 combo player I think sends bitstream and the Samsung Uni player I think sends bitstream.

On the HD DVD side, the A35 and XA2 both send bistream lossless undecoded.

shockt327

Grip
Real Name
Jango
Hmmm, never knew about the Pioneer 95FD.
EDIT: lol, I never looked into the Pioneer 95FD cause it is almost a grand. Too steep for me....

Which website has the most precise info on these players? Cause Circuit City or Best Buy usually only list what these player can do....not what they can't do, which makes it difficult when you are trying to look for specific features.

brap

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alisdair Edwards

Theoretically, the end result for TrueHD and DTS-MA should be the same. It's like compressing a file as a .zip or a .rar. They just take up a different amount of room. It's is good to have support for both because some companies either have one or the other. Both is rare (eg. Close encounters).

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
If someone comes out with a BR player that decodes lossless to analog outputs and does BD-Java and 1.1for less than $500, I'll buy it.

shockt327

Grip
Real Name
Jango

Ok, what if the player can decode Dolby True HD, but the receiver can't? Is there any way around that?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member

If the reciever accepts PCM via HDMI, then the HD player will decode the True HD signal and pass it via PCM to your receiver.

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator
And unlike sd dvd, you cannot choose between dts-hd or dd-true; one or the other. Sony s1 owners using analog out are stuck with only dd-true, unless Sony decides to unlock dts-hd internal decoder.

shockt327

Grip
Real Name
Jango

Ok, how do you get TrueHD via analog out (or any out) if you have a player (but not a receiver) that can decode TrueHD?

HONDA_RJJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
PS3 currently decodes both Dolby True HD and DTS MA ans send them through LPCM but can not currently bitstream them(might never due to the hdmi chip limitations). Its been able to decode DTS MA for a while now.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I have my Sony S550 connected using the analog outs into my DSP-A1 analog in's. Doesn't the S550 decode the signal for both the TRUEHD & DTS HD tracks ?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Yes, the Sony BDP-S550 decodes all the HD audio formats, and sends them over the 7.1 analog outputs. But, if you'll notice, all the previous posts are from January 2008, over a year ago........... not much was doing it back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks