What's new

24fps/120hz question(s). (1 Viewer)

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
I went to a local Best Buy on my lunch today to have a look around and apparently they had a Blu Ray player hooked up to a Samsgun 50 inch display with a model number ending in 71.

This is a 1080p set with 250:000 contrast ratio with 120hz capability.

They were playing some demo scenes from Batman Begins, and some of the stuff especially from inside the Batmobile interior and closeups of character faces looked like it was shot on high def video. You know how you can see the difference in quality of something when it is film vs sports? This looked like Batman Begins had a sports camera filming the closeups and interiors.

Now Ive only seen the regular DVD version of this so thats a bad comparison. But is what I am seeing how when using HD content encoded that has 24p flags on a 120hz set supposed to look?

It was so liquidy smooth, had lots of depth and pop. Almost scary in how good it looked.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing it was just the fact that it was BluRay and hooked up to a nice tv. If they had an equally spec'd, but not 120Hz set right next to it, it probably would not have been too much difference.

I say this mostly because my understanding is that there are no sets that do a true 5:5 conversion up to 120Hz with 24fps material. For whatever reason, most (if not all) companies are still doing something similar to a 3:2 pulldown for film material even on their 120Hz sets.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
Why would it matter if it was Blu Ray considering its the same encode for both HD DVD and Blu Ray using VC-1?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks