Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Black and white sitcoms - will we ever see them?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Hank Dearborn

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor

• 715 posts

Posted January 01 2008 - 08:11 AM

A scant few have made their way out in legitimate releases but there are so many more that we should have. Is it that the people working at these studios see black and white as something they don't want to touch? Look at all of these great shows:

Life of Riley, Love That Bob, People's Choice, Burns and Allen, Jack Benny Show,
Bachelor Father, Gale Storm Show, My Little Margie, Ann Sothern Show, Private Secretary, Patty Duke Show, Farmer's Daughter, Ozzie and Harriet (uncut), I Married Joan, The Ray Milland Show, Dennis the Menace, Dobie Gillis, Car 54, How to Marry a Millionaire, Topper, December Bride, Our Miss Brooks, Pete and Gladys, The Donna Reed Show, Bilko (season set), Mr. Ed (season set), Hennesey.

Besides Lucy and Dick Van Dyke, have we seen the complete series of any other long running black and white sitcom? That's really a shame, especially considering that these shows no longer air in syndication anymore either. There's a whole generation that has never been exposed to some of the funniest shows in TV history.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Roger_S

Roger_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 200 posts

Posted January 01 2008 - 08:31 AM

Well, we did have The Andy Griffith Show...of course, it went to color in it's last 3 seasons.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Ivan G

Ivan G

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted January 01 2008 - 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Dearborn
Besides Lucy and Dick Van Dyke, have we seen the complete series of any other long running black and white sitcom? That's really a shame, especially considering that these shows no longer air in syndication anymore either. There's a whole generation that has never been exposed to some of the funniest shows in TV history.

I don't know if The Honeymooners' "Classic 39" counts, but it was released in its entirety.

But I'm like you, Hank--I'd love to see full season-by-season releases of practically every show you've named. I spent most of the holidays watching some Pete and Gladys and I'm Dickens...He's Fenster episodes (some with the original commercials) and am amazed that they're sitting on both of those little gems.
"Life is in color...but black-and-white is more realistic." -- Samuel Fuller, director

My DVD Collection

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Elena S

Elena S

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted January 01 2008 - 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan G
I spent most of the holidays watching some Pete and Gladys and I'm Dickens...He's Fenster episodes (some with the original commercials) and am amazed that they're sitting on both of those little gems.
Where'd you see Pete & Gladys? I'd LOVE to see some of those again!

As to whether or not they'll ever release the black and white shows you mentioned, it would be a crying shame to let them die on the shelves. The lack of color has nothing to do with the quality. I'd buy Donna Reed & Patty Duke in a New York minute. December Bride & Pete & Gladys, too.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted January 01 2008 - 07:11 PM

I'm not sure there's an answer to this question. Every show is different, is owned by different studios, has varying degrees of interest among fans and exists in varying degrees of picture quality. You can't simply lump together a bunch of B&W shows as if they are all the same.
Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,314 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted January 01 2008 - 07:52 PM

Consider that getting color sitcoms prior to 1990 that aren't by Norman Lear or still rerun 15 times a day released in their entirety is like pulling teeth from a lion, you can imagine what many B&W sitcoms have to go through.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Theodore J. Mooney

Theodore J. Mooney

Supporting Actor

• 538 posts

Posted January 01 2008 - 08:47 PM

Even though these were not long-running they are in black and white and have been released on DVD entirely: The Munsters and The Addams Family.
Music Video of the Week (Feb. 8th-14th):
 ("Hands To Heaven" sung by Breathe)

"I Love Lucy wasn't just a title" ~ Desi Arnaz
"Desi Arnaz was the love of my life" ~ Lucille Ball

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Hank Dearborn

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor

• 715 posts

Posted January 02 2008 - 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodore J. Mooney
Even though these were not long-running they are in black and white and have been released on DVD entirely: The Munsters and The Addams Family.

Forgot about those. But all of the shows that I mentioned had very long syndication runs, airing from the 60s through the 80s. Even when they started to dry up on over the air stations, cable came along and CBN and Nick at Nite ran many of them and still later HA, for the short time it was around, had a good portion of them on it's schedule. Now they seem to have vanished. A big problem for many of them is that they have never been transfered and don't exist on tape, only on film.

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Gregory V

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator

• 203 posts

Posted January 03 2008 - 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Dearborn
A scant few have made their way out in legitimate releases but there are so many more that we should have. Is it that the people working at these studios see black and white as something they don't want to touch? Look at all of these great shows:

Life of Riley, Love That Bob, People's Choice, Burns and Allen, Jack Benny Show,
Bachelor Father, Gale Storm Show, My Little Margie, Ann Sothern Show, Private Secretary, Patty Duke Show, Farmer's Daughter, Ozzie and Harriet (uncut), I Married Joan, The Ray Milland Show, Dennis the Menace, Dobie Gillis, Car 54, How to Marry a Millionaire, Topper, December Bride, Our Miss Brooks, Pete and Gladys, The Donna Reed Show, Bilko (season set), Mr. Ed (season set), Hennesey.

I'd love to see every one of those shows Hank mentioned...particularly Burns & Allen, and Jack Benny....HOPEFULLY!!!! Haven't seen Pete & Gladys since I was a kid....Would love to see that again.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Ivan G

Ivan G

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted January 04 2008 - 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory V
Haven't seen Pete & Gladys since I was a kid....Would love to see that again.

I watched a bunch of them over the holidays and while I can certainly see why it only lasted a couple of seasons (Harry Morgan wasn't quite as funny on his spin-off as he was on December Bride, for example) I'm surprised by the fact that when the shows were good, they were very, very good. The quality sort of dropped off in Season 2 but the episodes with Gale Gordon (who played Morgan's uncle) are still falling-down funny.

Cara Williams got a bad rap because she was channelling Lucille Ball (and she was, no doubt about it) but I think she should get credit for the fact that at least when she was aping Lucy she didn't mug as shamelessly as the famous redhead. All in all, Pete & Gladys is a fun sitcom, with timeless physical humor that has a slight edginess.
"Life is in color...but black-and-white is more realistic." -- Samuel Fuller, director

My DVD Collection

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,014 posts

Posted January 04 2008 - 12:34 PM

Let's hope TIMELESS has gotten the right to release BATCHLOR FATHER!

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow