Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

So long, Amazon 10% discount

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#1 of 45 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted December 31 2007 - 10:15 AM

I'll miss you. Granted, I'll probably still be reminded of you into March, when the pre-order I just submitted for Appleseed Ex Machina is fulfilled (see also: Dragon Tiger Gate, Justice League: The New Frontier, 30 Days of Night, Crimson Tide, Gone Baby Gone, Sunshine, 3:10 to Yuma and Zodiac), but you've made many a marginal HD purchase happen. I'm just sorry you weren't applied to Before the Devil Knows You're Dead and that Star Trek: Season 2 and Beowulf aren't in the Amazon database yet.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#2 of 45 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted December 31 2007 - 02:10 PM

I won't miss something that I never had. However, if they do something similar in the future.....I'm in. Posted Image
Recently watched- Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls, Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Ransom, Dragonheart, Tomb Of Ligeia

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Now I have a machinegun.  HO-HO-HO"

#3 of 45 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted December 31 2007 - 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Seaver
I'm just sorry you weren't applied to Before the Devil Knows You're Dead and that Star Trek: Season 2 and Beowulf aren't in the Amazon database yet.

I saw the BD/HDDVD pre-orders of Before the Devil Knows You're Dead on the Amazon site this morning... and it's still there now.

#4 of 45 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,018 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted December 31 2007 - 11:45 PM

Yes, the 10% discount is gone and depending on the title my purchases will definitely slow up as far as blind purchases. The studios need to adjust their MSRP down since we've just entered the third calendar year of these new formats.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#5 of 45 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,525 posts

Posted January 01 2008 - 02:12 AM

After placing a final order last night I'm still seeing the 10% discount applied to orders this morning. I was under the impression it would end at midnight.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#6 of 45 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,018 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 01 2008 - 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S
After placing a final order last night I'm still seeing the 10% discount applied to orders this morning. I was under the impression it would end at midnight.
It's not applying to any orders I'd tried today.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#7 of 45 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,525 posts

Posted January 01 2008 - 03:19 AM

Hmm... I was thinking maybe it was something I had cached in my browser but after launching a new one I'm still seeing it. I suppose it's possible they just haven't cleaned up all of the accounts yet. Out of curitosity, are you a Prime member?

#8 of 45 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted January 01 2008 - 03:20 AM

Still getting it here as well. Just ordered The Shining and 2001 on BR, and got the 10% off.

Perhaps it expires based on the date that you qualified? Note: I am not a Amazon Prime customer.

Brian

#9 of 45 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,535 posts

Posted January 01 2008 - 04:16 AM

Excuse the naive question, I've only bought 3 DVD's and one HD-DVD from Amazon. When I first saw Jason's post the other day, I didn't understand it. You mean that Amazon had a standing 10% discount on DVD media? And now the policy has ceased?

#10 of 45 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,301 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted January 01 2008 - 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Au
Excuse the naive question, I've only bought 3 DVD's and one HD-DVD from Amazon. When I first saw Jason's post the other day, I didn't understand it. You mean that Amazon had a standing 10% discount on DVD media? And now the policy has ceased?
It's been so long that I don't even remember the specifics but if you bought an HD player (or maybe it was HD media?) from Amazon back in late 2006 or early 2007, you had a 10% discount off of all your HD discs for 2007. Qualifying for the deal is long over and now since 2007 is over, the 10% is/should be over too.

I'm sure that's not 100% accurate but I think it's close.

#11 of 45 OFFLINE   Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted January 01 2008 - 06:14 AM

Well, it must be a Happy New Year for me because in addition to still getting the 10% discount I just found the latest BOGO(Buy One, Get One) deal for Blu-Ray titles. I picked up Die Hard, Die Hard With a Vengeance, Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut, The Terminator, Mr. and Mrs. Smith and Cast Away for $62.88 shipped!!! Posted Image
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#12 of 45 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,525 posts

Posted January 01 2008 - 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian L
Perhaps it expires based on the date that you qualified? Note: I am not a Amazon Prime customer.

Brian

I thought that might be the case as well but I went back and looked at my "buy 3" order, I found it was placed on November 23, 2006.

#13 of 45 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,018 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 01 2008 - 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S
Hmm... I was thinking maybe it was something I had cached in my browser but after launching a new one I'm still seeing it. I suppose it's possible they just haven't cleaned up all of the accounts yet. Out of curitosity, are you a Prime member?
Yes, I am a prime member. Also, I was receiving the 10% off since the beginning of the promotion so maybe that's why I'm not getting it now due to the time you started to receive it?

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#14 of 45 OFFLINE   Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted January 01 2008 - 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph J.D
I won't miss something that I never had. However, if they do something similar in the future.....I'm in. Posted Image
I'll second this.

#15 of 45 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,535 posts

Posted January 01 2008 - 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
It's been so long that I don't even remember the specifics but if you bought an HD player (or maybe it was HD media?) from Amazon back in late 2006 or early 2007, you had a 10% discount off of all your HD discs for 2007. Qualifying for the deal is long over and now since 2007 is over, the 10% is/should be over too.

I'm sure that's not 100% accurate but I think it's close.

Thanks, that's close enough!

#16 of 45 OFFLINE   LarryH

LarryH

Supporting Actor

• 552 posts

Posted January 02 2008 - 05:45 PM

This was definitely a factor in my purchase decisions. I'll now be cutting back on those $35 and $40 list-price titles. Of course, with all these B1G1 and B2G1 and B3G2 sales I'm going to be reluctant to buy any but my very most desired titles without a special sale. I think they've established a precedent that's going to be hard to ignore as we go forward.

#17 of 45 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,531 posts

Posted January 02 2008 - 08:48 PM

As a PRIME member I just preordered Across The Universe
on Blu-ray and there is no longer a discount being applied. Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#18 of 45 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,342 posts

Posted January 02 2008 - 10:52 PM

Did an order yesterday and still received the discount. I'm not a prime member.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#19 of 45 OFFLINE   Mike.B

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted January 02 2008 - 11:49 PM

As of just a couple minutes ago, I am still getting the 10% discount, fwiw.

#20 of 45 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,018 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted January 02 2008 - 11:57 PM

I think whether you're still getting the 10% discount or not depends on when your start date in receiving that promotion. I think one of us not currently receiving the discount, probably needs to inquire from Amazon about why they stop getting that discount.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow